Quantcast

Race Face Diablous Headset

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
There's no way to know how long the new RF headsets will last, since they are new. But the Diabolus has a five year warranty for the bearings and lifetime on everything else.

The stainless steel cups are longer insertion deppth than XC headsets, but not as long as the CK Steelset, so it's probably compatible with more frames than the Steelset.

I'm thinking about putting one on my next frame.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by hudsimtn
I would go with a Chris King
Way smoother and last longer, plus you can get any colour.
And as usual, someone's gotta jump in with the "I have no clue what you're talking about, but this is what I like so rather than give helpful suggestions on the product YOU want, use this" post.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
I have no clue what you're talking about, but this is what I like so rather than give helpful suggestions on the product YOU want, use this
Eh.

Wiseass :p

hudsimtn

Chimp
Mar 31, 2004
Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
Originally posted by binary visions
And as usual, someone's gotta jump in with the "I have no clue what you're talking about, but this is what I like so rather than give helpful suggestions on the product YOU want, use this" post.
spoken like a huge chump.guy was asking opinion if he should get a rf diabolus....and being someone, who you have no idea who I am, who has used everything, gave a tech opinion so this guy gets the best headset rather than no....so instead of wasting your time being a chump, you should have just put in your opinion about the headset.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by hudsimtn
guy was asking opinion if he should get a rf diabolus
:rolleyes:

You clearly did not read the question, which was, "Anyone have any experience [with the Raceface Diablous]?"

It was not "Should I get this headset? If not, what should I get instead?"

Just like the Avalanche and Marzocchi nazi's, someone always thinks they know better, and will say so, regardless of whether or not anyone cares.

Relax, dude, don't take it so personally. It was just my useless commentary - no need to stoop to name calling, eh?

hudsimtn

Chimp
Mar 31, 2004
Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
Originally posted by binary visions
:rolleyes:

You clearly did not read the question, which was, "Anyone have any experience [with the Raceface Diablous]?"

It was not "Should I get this headset? If not, what should I get instead?"

Just like the Avalanche and Marzocchi nazi's, someone always thinks they know better, and will say so, regardless of whether or not anyone cares.

Relax, dude, don't take it so personally. It was just my useless commentary - no need to stoop to name calling, eh?
sorry dude, read it as different and read your reply this morning before my coffee.....experience with the diabolus head set has been good, used it for a month. Comboed with the diabolus stem looks really trick.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by 819
What went wrong in the past?
For some reason I have seen a lot of messed up bearings. Even after changing them, a month later they would be garbage again.

This happened too many times for me to trust their head sets again.

PolarBearWY

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Wyoming
Well, if there is a 5-yr warranty on the bearings, then that isn't bad. Aside from waiting for another headset to come in if you had a warranty issue, I don't think this will be a problem. 5 years is pretty good life for a $65 headset anyway, no?

I'm kinda shying away from the Diabolus only because it is 175 grams!!! That's 3 oz. heavier than my stock H.S. I know, I know. It's only 3 oz, but 3 oz here and 3 oz there equals a lb or two. I didn't buy a light bike to add weight to it. I add enough weight to it when I sit on it.. hahaha.

Anyone know of a better place to buy this? Best I have seen so far is $65 + shipping.

Just gave my '94 Trek 930 to my g/f's dad, and it needs a new H.S. Figure now is the time to upgrade the H.S. on my new Trek 8000, asking $30 for it.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Jesus
For some reason I have seen a lot of messed up bearings. Even after changing them, a month later they would be garbage again.

This happened too many times for me to trust their head sets again.
2002/2003? They had many many bad batches according to my tech. Its amazing how 6 months of bad production can destroy a reputation.

'Supposedly' this has been fixed by better production runs. They are offering a better warranty to fix the poor pr they got I would guess.

I have a friend riding one. If you don't mind second hand opinion, it is pretty trick and seems to last under aggresive riding (had it for a short while now but can't even give you an accurate date). When I see how this has lasted I might get one in the summer.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by PolarBearWY
I'm kinda shying away from the Diabolus only because it is 175 grams!!!
The CK Steelset weighs 223 though. The Diabolus probably offers better protection from ovalization than al headsets without being overkill like the steelset is for many people.

If you're on a light bike and concerned about weigt you probably don't need it.

PolarBearWY

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Wyoming
Originally posted by fonseca
If you're on a light bike and concerned about weigt you probably don't need it.
Boy does that statement speak mountains. 100% accurate. It's tough to combat my cravings for upgrades. (guilty look)