Quantcast

race face narrow wide chainring

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I ordered a 34t for my Troy when I gets in. It has a 10 speed clutch derailleur on it. I will report how it works for me with no guide. From most of what I hear and read, it should work great for the riding in my area.

Brett

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I don't see the need for a taco guard unless you are going to be hitting the ring frequently.

Brett
The marks on my bash rings would indicate I need some protection. Better to be safe than sorry. I will also be setting this up on 2 bikes, 1 of them being a Canfield One which is notorious for being low. I dont see any down side to running a Taco, only a small amount of weight penalty.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Update: after a few days of Whistler riding (sadly, been back home for a couple weeks now), we had one chain loss between both of us. So, running a clutch derailleur and "improved retention" ring seems to almost be bullet proof. I think I'll still run a guide, but I may try switching to some sort of very minimal system.

The chain drop resulted in some high speed jumps with a jammed up chain. That was unpleasant, ha ha.
New information has come to light, man.

Apparently, when my chain dropped, the clutch mechanism in my derailleur was broken. So, my one chain drop was effectively not using a clutch.

And, I would definitely run some sort of bash protection, whether it's a bash ring, or taco guard.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
^I've warrantied several customer's Shimano derailleurs whose clutch mechs failed leaving them behaving just like a standard derailleur. Now I try to remember to push the cage of the derailleur once a day so I'll know if mine fails.

P.S. QBP still has almost no inventory of these, just a couple odd sizes and colors. In fact QBP is out of lots of stuff right now. Anyone else notice this and have an idea why?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
It's called a bash guard and it bolts to your cranks.
i would love to buy a bash guard for my 30th race face nw ring, can you guide me to a place where i can buy one?

oh, what's that you're saying? there are none on the market? oh silly me, why do i want the impossible. hint: there are use cases that no one caters to, mrp just started to make something for 32t or less. so don't play the wisecrack when someone wants something not (yet) avaiable...

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Running a 32T front - 11-36 rear, zee Mech.

Won't be running a chaindevice, but thinking of one of these to stop any sort of sound coming from the chain.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
i would love to buy a bash guard for my 30th race face nw ring, can you guide me to a place where i can buy one?

oh, what's that you're saying? there are none on the market? oh silly me, why do i want the impossible. hint: there are use cases that no one caters to, mrp just started to make something for 32t or less. so don't play the wisecrack when someone wants something not (yet) avaiable...
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I've remedied that same problem in the past with an old chainring, a belt sander, 15 minutes, and a beer.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I've remedied that same problem in the past with an old chainring, a belt sander, 15 minutes, and a beer.
i rather want a taco, don't like the look of bash guards at all, why buying a colored ring just to hide it behind some ugly plastic/metal?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Running a 32T front - 11-36 rear, zee Mech.

Won't be running a chaindevice, but thinking of one of these to stop any sort of sound coming from the chain.

re that Bionicon guide... At the ESC Killington Enduro I saw a guy that had rigged up a similar contraption with a piece of hose and a few zip ties.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
re that Bionicon guide... At the ESC Killington Enduro I saw a guy that had rigged up a similar contraption with a piece of hose and a few zip ties.
Yep. Check out my ghettoness below. I had a chainguide on the way that did not get there before race day. So, I sawed an old ODI grip in two and a few zip ties later......
Ha, it worked perfect too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yep. Check out my ghettoness below. I had a chainguide on the way that did not get there before race day. So, I sawed an old ODI grip in two and a few zip ties later......
Ha, it worked perfect too.

nice! an old ODI grip... that's a brilliant idea. I never get around to chucking those out and they just take up room in my parts bin. Nice to know there's a use for them now!

How did it work out? Noisy as hell? Will you keep it on?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
nice! an old ODI grip... that's a brilliant idea. I never get around to chucking those out and they just take up room in my parts bin. Nice to know there's a use for them now!

How did it work out? Noisy as hell? Will you keep it on?
I kept it on for 2 weeks just for the hell of it. It worked fine and it was not any louder than a chain guide.
Now I run a clutch der. with my same setup up front, minus my homemade doohicky. I really dig the lack of any friction, and I will be getting one of those race face rings soon.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Excellent idea, going to do that - don;t feel like spending that much on such a small peice of kit.
I prefer my bikes deadly silent, and with the Narrow Wide ring, you can still hear the chain rattle against the ring itself ( just below )

Last edited:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
On a side note to this, does anyone know where you can get a rear only XT i-spec shifter. I have found the XT with normal mounting and a Saint rear with i-spec, but no XT with i-spec.