Quantcast

RACE FACE Prodigy Crankset Question

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
So I go to take the cranks off my commuter bike today: Race Face Prodigy w/ splined Race Face Prodigy BB. I remove the crank bolts and grab my crank puller tool. I screw the tool into the crank arms and then the 'poker' end of the too into the other part. Anyway, I'm spinning away and nothing. Turns out the BB has a hollow spindle, crank puller is useless. Unlike XT cranks, they do not have self extracting bolts. This is all how they came from pricepoint: a package, cranks and bb & normal crank bolts. How the hell am I supposed to remove these cranks???

I've thought of putting a washer inside the crank bolt area to give the puller something to contact with, but I'm sure I'm missing something here. ADVICE?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
nevermind. Ignorance isn't bliss. Not all crank pullers are alike. Just what I need, another tool to do the same job on a different model thang. :rolleyes: :angry:

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
You can also get what is called the 105 tool(Because it comes with Shimano 105 cranks). This is a plug that fits into the end of the spindle and will let you use your old style crank puller. Just a couple of bucks.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have 2 year old turbine lp cranks - will this same tool work? I have a CCP-4 and CCP-2 (for my old sperbe group) and will need to get the "special" campy crank puller eventually. :(

Buying bikey tools is never as fun as buying bikey parts... :confused:

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
The CCP-4 will work on you turbine crank(or any pipe spindle BB crank.) The CCP-2 will work on any square spindle crank. EXCEPT, the left hand Campy cranks, they require the $40 Campy tool. OOPs, and Stronglight (23.5mm tool), TA (23mm tool)
Shimano makes a "plug", the 105 tool, that lets you use a square spline extractor on a pipe spindle. This tool is 15mm across and has worked on every thing I have tried it on. United makes a "plug", 14mm, for FSA cranks but I think I have used the Shimano one with no problems.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have heard but never checked myself that a dime is the right diameter. Just remove the bolt and place a dime in there and use your existing tool. Then tell us if it actually works.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by oldfart
I have heard but never checked myself that a dime is the right diameter. Just remove the bolt and place a dime in there and use your existing tool. Then tell us if it actually works.
Thanks Reverend, and oldfart, I will try it. Sounds perfect. I was thinking along those lines as well.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by oldfart
It's two dimes! The one dime method just drives the dime into the spindle like a headset nut...

Not that I have done this more than three times...

I went to Napa and found a burly washer that works bueno now.

I was going broke using dimes but do have have a BB with thirty cents in it...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you are running short on change or washers you can try this. I cut a long 1/4" bolt just long enough that when I insert it into the bottom bracket the bolt head is flush with the face of the BB. The only drawback is you have to have the bolt in the other side of the BB for the bolt to push on.