Quantcast

Race Face Turbine sprockets vs Shimano

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I have an XT crank I want to replace my rings on.

I could go with shimano but I have heard good things about the Race face Turbine chain rings and they are also cheaper. Anyone have any experience with these rings? Or have another suggestion to go with for rings. I have used Blackspire pro rings in the past but I just can't justify getting those again for the money.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
22/32/44 are the rings I am looking for. I still ride a triple on my all mountain bike until I have something for XC or DH. Then I ussally swap out the big ring for my bash guard during Freeride weekends.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
Also the main reason for the swap is my constant chain suck problems from having warn out small and middle rings so it does need to get done sooner rather then later.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got some brand new never used 10 speed SLX rings i'll let go cheap. I'm pretty sure they're 24/32/42. All accounts I've heard 10 speed chainrings run 9 speed chains without issue, although I haven't confirmed it personally (i'm on all 9 speed still).

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I have had issues with using 9 speed rings on Dynasys systems because of noise. yeah shoot me a pm and let me know I am interested but still considering the difference between the two sets.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
You should really go to 10sp.
I have a friend who works for SRAM hooked me up with XX1 for about three weeks before I realized how dumb it was. I liked 9 sp better when they didn't have better mid cage designed rear mechs but now with the large ratios and the improved cage strength 1or 2 or 3X10 is where I think the industry is going to stay until they can even improve upon ratios.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got 5 bikes that i would need to convert over. fvck that. i'm not saying that 10 speed is bad or that i have a problem with it, but right now practicality rules out any marginal gains from 10 speed over 9.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
haha don't blame you for not swapping over then.

@Nick- I have used Vuelta rings before but I have had problem with there shift gates. Have actually had to send back rings to them that they have just shipped out to me.