Quantcast

Race face x type evolve XC cranks any good??

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Cave Dweller, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Cave Dweller

Cave Dweller Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hi guys,

Bit an an XC question, but im a dh'er and only post here. Question is, im setting up a commuter bike, dropping some money on it as im going to ride it heaps so i want something thats nice to ride.

Looking at getting some Race face x type evolve XC cranks as i can get them cheap. But i have heard of issues with the bearings, side to side play and preload problems, are they any good, and will they resist bending very well?

Like i said, it is going on a road mtb but i destroy cranks.

Have also been thinking about the shimano lx's, or maybe even the new hones with the steel pedal inserts. I think i like the idea of steel inserts, but they are going to cost a little more.

Can anybody give some input into these cranks. Im in a bit of a bind.

Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. frorider

frorider Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 5
    well i've talked to several bike shop mechanics who hate the x type bearing system...can be difficult to get adjusted correctly, and there have been premature failures of the bearings.

i don't own any RF x type cranks. i bought a trailbike last month, and decided to just go with shimano xt cranks.

3. SXtrailrider

SXtrailrider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i have apair of evolve xc on my coliler deluxe and they ride srong i ride them one the downhill trails and they don't have any play at all and they hardley way a thing

4. zmtber

zmtber Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    great but why not go for the dh one and you check out the houzefeller from truvative they have great deal right now on jensonusa, they are cheaper than hel like 54 percent off

5. skinny mike

skinny mike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    shimano hollowtech 2 cranks are great. i run some lxs on my xc singlespeed and saints on my dh/fr bike and i have had zero problems with them. and they are also much easier to set up than the x-type cranks.

6. zahgurim

zahgurim Underwater monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 12
    If you can score the RaceFaces for a decent price, do it. If/when you do end up having to replace the bearings, you can upgrade to the Shimano bearings, as the spindles are the same size.