Quantcast

Race "kit"

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
The day has now come when we can only ride our bikes looking as fresh as can be or else be ridiculed.

Saw it on pinkbike and had a good laugh.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
awesome.

of course I'll wear a "race kit" to races as long as that's what I need to do to get hooked up with bike parts. This sport is too expensive to not to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
haha thats pretty funny. feel as though its starting to roll over from snowboarding - you don't need skills but have to be the freshest kid in the lift line.
eh, I look at it this way... there's a difference between having to have the freshest kit out there and not wanting to look like Stevie Wonder picked out your riding gear.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
eh, I look at it this way... there's a difference between having to have the freshest kit out there and not wanting to look like Stevie Wonder picked out your riding gear.
Touché, I ll admit I do like to look somewhat put together when I ride. Plus it puts money into the industry and trendy images do help with growth, so it aint all bad

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Touché, I ll admit I do like to look somewhat put together when I ride. Plus it puts money into the industry and trendy images do help with growth, so it aint all bad
It's a fine line to walk. There are definitely companies out there making some really good riding gear (and reasonably fashionable) that won't make you look like you belong in Cirque de Soleil.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
all show, no go...

full race kit is only ok if you're FAST. Otherwise = tosser.

(but that's just my opinion... don't let a grumpy old man stop you looking like a fruity, walking billboard.)

Cirque de Soleil! Hah. ROFL.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Let's be honest - the industry is really marketing led and kids will want everything the industry tells them to. It's not only the kits but same for bike part fashion. Go to a bigger park and you will see that half of the people there are riding the same bike and can't imagine choosing something else than the next new fad. When the marketing guys decide it's time to market grunge dh race kits maybe it'll be easier to sneak in with some normal clothes. ;)

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I care a lot about what I wear, but I care even more about what other people on the internet wear!
All I care about is what people on the internet think about when it comes to what I am wearing.

If I don't look good then I just plain suck and I can't have that.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
All I care about is what people on the internet think about when it comes to what I am wearing.

If I don't look good then I just plain suck and I can't have that.
Do you have a bathroom-mirror photo in your race kit on your myspace page? ;)

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
folks at Northstar are real trend whores (it is Cali after all). Saw at least a half dozen D-bags with the Sam Hill neon half&half clown suit by the end of the summer. If you don't rock a full TLD kit and ride THIS****INGYEAR'S Glory, then you don't get to sit at the cool kids table.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
This year marked the first season I ever raced in non-racer boy kit. Luckily it was the most comfortable stuff I've ever ridden in. Was nice to hit the trail in the same stuff as the track too. I still looked goony going into a convenience store, but not as much. I came from the old moto background of Micky Diamond, Ron Lechein, Damon Bradshaw...if wasn't loud, you weren't proud.

Most everything since has always seemed to be pretty tame to me. Now that the colors from my "era" are coming back in style, I wanna vomit. :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Baggy abercrombie shorts or AE and when its cold thermal underwear pushed up above the 661 knee pads.
Today was white socks and white 5:10s, my black socks had a blowout lol and I aced the only good pair of TLD shorts the original baggy motos.... XL super baggy and didnt hang up on stuff.
Not that I cared today was about finding new lines and assembling stuff with tuning so it was a total slacker day.
Best kit ever looked all murdered out... Black socks, black 5:10s black tld long sleeve and black moto shorts.
Then theres the new pajama kits, good news is if you knock your $hit out you look the part all asleep....

Looking for some baggy riding shorts either original motos by TLD (not the ones with black stretchy) or something similair. Any info is appreciated.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I still wear 2 fox jerseys and shorts I got in 2002, carhartts work at times, also have a troylee jersey and shorts from 2007 and then my Child size small Delta House Racing jersey Ih8rice ****ed up:D

I was looking at brand new Troy lee pants and jersey yesterday. Not for a kit just some new stuff in my collection.

The **** sam hill wears and the ugly as fukk pajama kit palmer wore at the US nats is lame. I wouldn't wear that stuff fo free.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like riding shorts (ie TLD or fox) for their function and jerseys because they breathe better. I try to make them match, just so i don't look like a complete dumbass, but that pink and black and yellow jumper is just the dumbest thing I've ever seen. On sammy hill, it's fine; he's fast and can get away with it. If i start seeing non racers rocking it at plattekill, i'm gonna puke.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm starting to think that for a big part of RM some products would be more marketable if they weren't rocked by any pro's. Ppl are trend whores but hating them for what they wear? As long as they don't mess with me I don't care. It seems that the fashion on RM is to be anti fashion. That's a fad too ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
have you seen the d3 thread? the POC is fairly clearly a better helmet, safety wise, for Downhill...still, you will see 90% of racers wearing the d3 because it's new and cool...just like the d2. I don't hate on sam for what he wears, i just think it doesn't belong on joe poser.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I have great hope that DH "fashion" is about to take a turn for the better, seeing the tailored and technical gear people used at World's this year made me nearly as happy as Peaty's win.
It's pretty clear that I love Skinsuits, but even I have to admit, if we continue along the lines of what we saw at worlds, I'd say that the ban ended up being positive. A unique image for DH, that has cross over potential to actual bike riding is way better than useless motocross clothes that further inflate the motoclone wannabe culture that I am afraid is becoming endemic in gravity cycling. The moto companies that are currently involved with DH used to make specific clothing for bike racing/riding, TLD still does, I'm pretty sure Fox still does too. The problem with most of that stuff is that, to put it bluntly, is that it's just not all that well designed compared to the stuff we can get from a company like Nema or Swobo that focus specifically on the cycling market. With the huge margins available on clothing, it really isn't a big deal to offer better clothing. The complacency of consumers is the problem. Stop buying the ugly inappropriate crap that's being marketed to us, and the industry will adapt.
That's my opinion...
atmo.

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
I got some Oakley Factory Pilot stuff that could be 10 years old (shorts & shirts). Good, quality stuff w/ great venting - haven't been able to find anything close to a decent replacement...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
have you seen the d3 thread? the POC is fairly clearly a better helmet, safety wise, for Downhill...still, you will see 90% of racers wearing the d3 because it's new and cool...just like the d2. I don't hate on sam for what he wears, i just think it doesn't belong on joe poser.

The only quarrel with that attitude I have is that eveyone who just likes the looks of sam's gear will get labeled as a poser. I've found some great deals on royal gear last year so I think it would be also possible for tld so some people may not even be spending unreasonable money on it. I like the 80's colours that are comming back to fashion and it has nothing to do with Sam or any other pro rocking them. I understand you but I hope it doesn't get to a point that someone who doesn't know crap about what Hill rides buys his outfit because he likes flashy stuff and gets bashed for it. If we don't like posers let's not behave like them (the only differance being we're anti fashion).

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
If someone provides me a gorilla or wookie suit/costume, I will race in it.
I have a gorilla costume, but I haven't raced in it.

I like to see my team in relatively matching kits. We have a custom red jersey that is mandatory, after that I don't worry much. Most folks ride black, red or white shorts; some have blue ones but whatever. Its not a fashion show, I just want the team jersey worn.

When I ride XC I don't usually match, some days I do and I feel weird. None of my XC riding friends match kits. They don't even know what a "kit" is.

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
I agree with Suspect Device, bikers need to support bike companies. So much moto stuff is marketed to downhillers, and part of that reason is alot of downhillers have dirtbikes as well, or want to look like the guys who have dirtbikes. I am not a motorsports guy, and I try to put my money towards bike companies, if not for the moral aspect of it, then to simply get a better product for what I do. Last summer I came accross super deals on TLD moto shorts ($19!) and gloves ($20) thinking they would be great for dh. The shorts, at least for me, were a big let down. SOOOO f'ing hot, zero breathability, and they are just down right loud when I'm riding. The gloves streched out to the point that they are now too big for me, and they too suffer from a lack of breathability. I am not a TLD hater, in fact I love my D2 helmet, but those other products are made for riding a bike with a motor on it, not a pedal driven machine. The difference between my Sombrio shorts and my Moto shorts is night and day, simply because I am using them for their intended use....

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I went out to ride today, and got flamed by xc dorks for not having a matching kit. They commented that my helmet was a different red than my jersey. Looks like I cant ride till I fix it.