Quantcast

race only DH rims

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm looking to build up a set of race only DH wheels. I want to run tubeless and I want the rims light. I plan on using these on our smoother courses so they don't need to be strong. Anybody have any experience riding on Mavic 819. Are they wide enough for 2.5 tires? These are the only UST rims that our light enough (465!). The 823 is too heavy (580g) / expensive / hard to build. I'm willing too pay more and have the tough build of the 819, but only if they are really frikin light. My other choice is the Rhyno Lite (550g). I've run these before on trail bikes with good results and they are cheap and easy to build. Keep in mind these are race only wheels for smooth courses.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by buildyourown
I'm looking to build up a set of race only DH wheels. I want to run tubeless and I want the rims light. I plan on using these on our smoother courses so they don't need to be strong. Anybody have any experience riding on Mavic 819. Are they wide enough for 2.5 tires? These are the only UST rims that our light enough (465!). The 823 is too heavy (580g) / expensive / hard to build. I'm willing too pay more and have the tough build of the 819, but only if they are really frikin light. My other choice is the Rhyno Lite (550g). I've run these before on trail bikes with good results and they are cheap and easy to build. Keep in mind these are race only wheels for smooth courses.
wouldn't the 819 be just as hard to build as the 823? i think they use the same nipple lock thingy.

If your a light/smooth rider, for race only, on smoother corses, they should work ok. I've found that the person building the wheels is as important as the wheel components. You should be ok with the 819, but you might have to do some truing every now and then.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by Fulton
wouldn't the 819 be just as hard to build as the 823? i think they use the same nipple lock thingy.

If your a light/smooth rider, for race only, on smoother corses, they should work ok. I've found that the person building the wheels is as important as the wheel components. You should be ok with the 819, but you might have to do some truing every now and then.
I know the 819 will be a pain to build but I'm willing to do it if its worth it. If you pit the 819 vs the Rhyno, I'm willing to deal with a tough build and the expense to save 100g per wheel and not have to deal with stan's. The 823 just isn't the rim I'm looking for.