Quantcast

Race pits bike rack

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I have dial up at work so cant do a picture search.

Does any ony have a picture of the rack used in the pit area where a lot of bikes can be hung by thier saddle side by side? Want to make one for next year. Need some ideas.

Thanks
Dennis

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Two "A" frames with a pipe between them. Think of an overgrown saw horse and you'll be on the right track.
I know what they look like. I just want to see some pics of what different people have used for the end pieces. It needs to be modular also, easy to put up and down and store.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
The ones I see are made with old bike stems,galvanized tubing (conduit) and a chain to keep the a-frame legs from spreading.

I think I saw this in the Germantown Cycles pits, maybe pm KD1569 he might be able to explain it better.

I bet thats the one you're looking for.

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ Making Truck bed bikerack, third from the bottom in featured articles. Sorry I had to fix the link. It is right now.

$20 bucks and transportable in the bed of my Tacoma. The only thing I changed was the shortest pieces for the tire width. The 1 3/4 pieces are not quite wide enough for large 2.8 Mich or 3.0 Intense tires. I have not glued mine yet and it is holding together. My guess is after a while, it will need to be glued. It is also expandable to 4 or 5 or however many you want. Just add another section.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
We use these for the team and demos. We replace the stock pipe with a longer section of pipe for some events if needed.

It's the Minoura Level-170H. A shop is ebay'ing them here

You can also make one quick by taking a piece of pipe and putting it between two bike repair stands.

-ska todd

Saw a team this fall season using 48" long sections of galvinized steel piping with a couple of elbow joints and what not. Might be a little heavy, but easy to break down as everything is threaded. Seems like it'd be a lot cheaper than the ebay site listed above. (The shipping is expensive!)

FWIW, I built one of the home made PVC racks linked to above for the garage. It works ok, but I've got too many bikes now so I'll be fabricating a rack like the Minoura out of the steel piping.