Quantcast

race @ port angeles

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Speaking of sandbaggers...this guy is the ULTIMATE sandbagger.

He races World Cup when he should be racing From Another World Cup.

So, I finished 2nd in Sport 40+ and lost by a considerable margin. Does that mean the guy that took 1st is a sandbagger? No. In this case it means he's a PA local and I need to step it up a notch if I want to move up a box. Hell, I could race expert based on my skill level but I chose sport since my 6" bike handicaps me in certain areas.

As mentioned earlier, the beginner racers are likely racing for the very 1st time so they have no idea how good or bad they are in a race situation. I'm sure most have a conscience and those that laid the rest to waste and saw their times compared to sport will do the right thing. If they don't, then post sandbagger like a madman. Until that happens, just be glad that there are races in the NW to allow for such occurrences and have fun!

Besides, who has the time to look at the results when there are sooooooo many killer pics posted all over the place.:banana:

brakecheck

Chimp
Nov 28, 2006
olympia,wa
i wonder what knucklebutts time was...all i recall was passing two people who started before me...glad there is a sport class to move up into for the next race. i didn't even make practice that morning.-brakecheck:happydance:

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I think the "Sandbagger" topic is more suited for Ski Bowl. Theres enough Sandbaggers there to stop a flood. How many years in a row must someone finish in the top 3 spots in the Sports class before he must move up?

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Thanks, man.

I have to agree with the reverse-sandbagger thing. I actually got held up at the end by a 30-39 sport that started two riders ahead of me - damned groms!!!:shakefist:
Thats why we ask whos the fastest and reset the order at the top of the course. I usually finish last, so I go last. I think I did beat 1 guy last year, right?

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Yeah, I never raced in any kind of competition before and I entered the over 40 beginner mens class. The one thing I really didn't like, was starting in front of faster riders. I asked the guys working the race if I could go last, they said no, that switching the order would screw things up.

Something doesn't seem right about starting a slow rider in front of a fast racer, especially on a slippery course. One thing for sure, the guy who passed me, had to wait till it was safe (for both of us) before he could pass; I'm sure waiting to pass me chopped a few seconds of his time.

For me, I would have liked to have raced in the over 50 mens beginner class, but it was canceled. I know I'll do better next time, but the idea of a faster rider losing time to get around me makes me uncomfortable.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
It always helps when theres fans around yelling.... RIDER!!! That way I know to pull over. From then on I watch what lines they take, maybe I'll learn something. My first race I raced Sport men 30-39. I think I didn't come in last. Unfortunetly the ONLY time I get on my bike IS to race. As others get better, I just stay the same. But I usually have a GREAT time every race. Look for me at the Trail Head Cycles Pits. We're planning to show DH Videos at night on the side of our new race camper, aloung with our great Hawaiian BBQ. Don't forget the FREE hot dogs.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I think just about ever topic has been covered and point being made and the discussion is wrapped up so I will just add one little thing and then be done for good...

If there was one "over stacked" class I think it would be the sport men's. I know a lot of riders who showed up and wanted to race in Expert class as thats the level of rider they are. Due to sanctioning rules they were turned away and told to race sport. This was not anyones fault who was involved in this race it was a rule made much higher up the food chain. So there were a lot of really fast racers in Sport. I could see someone wanting to stay in a competitive class and not racing sport. This is not what I did personally just commenting on it. Plus a lot of really fast riders ended up taking a fall and losing time *shrug*

If the rule is that you must place in the top (5 is it?) twice in sport to move up to an expert license, should the same apply to any class raced? Yes I huffed puffed and peddled as hard as my out of shape ass can and got third. It could have been a fluke or it could be what happened. Should I race beginner one more time and follow the same rules or should I jump up to sport?

For the record I think, Hope that I have progressed enough to be right at home in Sport next time.

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
Since the topic has come up regarding class, and USAC was a sanctioning/licensing authority for this event, when will results be posted on the USAC site?

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
DesuL..... When you get to SkiBowl, the begginer course is so boring, you'll want to race sport. Hell, after looking at the Expert course, you might want to race that class too....lol. I kind of like how Beacon is, everyone runs the same course, with some turn outs if you don't want to do a jump/drop, just in different classes. All in all, I think we have a pretty positive race scene going on. Could be worse, we could be trying to hold a DH race in Iowa.

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
I've been traveling since the race, but I finally got the chance to throw this together. I used ALL the footage I had, so hopefully you'll get a chance to see yourself.

Dual Slalom