Votes: 8 72.7%
  • What are race radios?

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
What is your opinion on race radios. Should they do away with them? Are they dumbing down riders and taking the thinking away?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
^ on the flip side I suppose they could allow for teams to not pay attention to other teams yet grasp the situation quickly if necessary.

I agree with psycho though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
PsychO!1 said:
I think the communication opportunities they offer only increase the effective use of team tactics....I think they make more competitive racing.
I am a believer in moving forward with technology, but I am not sure it is radios are positive.

For example, the radios diminish the effect of "pack generals", who are able to read the race and the peleton and make appropriate decisions. Now the director sportif can make all the decisions, who has access to tv and radio information.

I still voted for radios because it seems silly not to use them, and it is still the riders which do the pedalling.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It would be interesting to see special stages where they were not allowed. The Dakar has special stages like that where GPS units are not allowed, provides a different dynamic to the race.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I personally hate them while racing. Nothing worse than being out in the freezing rain, listening to someon bitch who's in a warm car. They are handy to say your coming back to pick stuff up from the car. I think it's a toss up whether they should be aloud, i think they help the racing in some ways...and hurt it in other.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
You'd see a lot more breakaways succeed if the pack didn't know to the millisecond how much time they had to make up to catch the poor buggers within a km of the finish. And if the pack had to guess who actually was in the break that got away. I think the race would be a lot more exciting without the radios.