Quantcast

Race run help?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I'm after a bit of advice here from some of the more seasoned quicker guys as to how I can help my riding out a little.

I've not done many races in the grand scheme of things, and consistently ride to a 'mid pack' result. Normally I tend to crash/have a minor off on the run too which obviously doesn't help towards my times.

My big issue is really that I tend to ride a lot faster out of a race run, like much faster. And no matter what I seem to do, it always goes wrong when it counts.

Classic example this weekend was riding with a guy who finished comfortably in the top 10 of our catagory. I asked if he minded if I could hook on the back of him when doing a couple of 'race pace' runs. However I could stay with him all the way down the track, pretty ragged and on the limit of my riding. Yet race time comes & we're miles apart. Frustrating!

I'm not super competitive, I ride because I enjoy it, and I tend to just cruise runs at uplift days when not racing. I'm not even planning an all out assault on my riding and an attempt to become really quick, but I would like to ride to my ability when the clock ticks...

Is this something that comes with racing more? Should I push more when riding outside races? Should I just accept I can't race for toffee?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
well im not a seasoned racer, but sounds like a case of more speed less haste. slowing down a bit should stop the crashes and make you faster in the long run

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
It's pretty simple, you just have to find the right conversion in your head for your race run. I can't tell you what it is because it's different for everybody. But I can say once you get it right you'll be able to take off 5 to 10 seconds consistently.

Get it down by doing timed runs, and focus on different things and see what attitude makes you the fastest. For some people it's about being relaxed and smooth. For me personally it's about getting fvcking aggro and crazy. Find what works and you'll start riding better and stronger when it counts.

Do it in this order, before your race run focus on getting in the right mood, listen to music or think about someone trying to **** your girl friend, whatever works to get you siked up

During your race run get one thought running through your head. For me it's just telling myself to "Go!!!" Flush every other thought you have out of your head and let that one take over. Sometimes you'll get caught up on a mistake. If that happens, just replace any thoughts about how you just fvcked up, with the word "GO!!!" and just keep saying it. Do this and you'll start kicking ass like you never thought possible.

Last edited:

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Classic example this weekend was riding with a guy who finished comfortably in the top 10 of our catagory. I asked if he minded if I could hook on the back of him when doing a couple of 'race pace' runs. However I could stay with him all the way down the track, pretty ragged and on the limit of my riding. Yet race time comes & we're miles apart. Frustrating!
I wouldn't bench mark yourself from this becasue its always easier to follow someone than it is to lead.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
No, I agree, however, it also proves I am 'capable' at riding at that sort of pace, so it stands to reason (in theory) that I should be able to replicate a similar pace on my own, does it not?

I know the obvious first thing is to cut out the crashes, I like the idea of timing runs outside races too, just for comparisons sake. Then I can push myself out of my comfort zone a little more.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
freelap timer? then you can time yourself and see what works, whether being aggro and ragged is faster for you than being smooth and calculated, whether pedaling out of a corner is faster than pumping it etc. once you know what makes you fast just take that knowledge to the track and keep at it

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I tend to just cruise runs at uplift days when not racing.

For me (and anyone I've ever helped go quicker) thats the main point. Practice like its a race run, race like its just another practice run. The mistakes at race pace will start to stop after just a few weeks of doing this.

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
No, I agree, however, it also proves I am 'capable' at riding at that sort of pace, so it stands to reason (in theory) that I should be able to replicate a similar pace on my own, does it not?
In theory yes but in my experience it doesn't work that way.

Practice like its a race run, race like its just another practice run. The mistakes at race pace will start to stop after just a few weeks of doing this.
solid advice right there!

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Doesn't feel that way to me. I have followed people miles faster than me and managed to hang on for a fair bit of time occasionally. If you can see someone else's lines and the speed they are carrying into corners and stuff it makes it a lot easier.

OB1

Monkey
Adrenaline, and self imposed pressure make you a different rider. You can take "race pace" practice runs, and then look completely different in a race due this. Ever swing a golf club? Isn't it interresting that you can take 20 nice smooth warm up swings before teeing off...yet when you swing at the actual ball, everything goes haywire. Nerves change everything. We all have butterflies. The trick is teaching them to fly in formation.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Timed practice runs helped me. I'm still working on it, but I never had the balls to ride 100% in my race run because I was afraid of crashing or running out of steam.
Do full practice runs with a timer going. This takes the edge off the nerves. Especially if you know you where pulling competitive times in practice.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
All good advice above. Also, know your lines...each and every one of them. Having options in some of the techy sections is good, too. Assuming you have a good bike/components, have faith in them as well. Lots of R&D goes into what we are riding on/with.

Do you have good brakes? That alone can change your outlook on how you approach your riding.

Bottom line is to just have fun, so do that and you'll likely do better than you expected!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My advice is to turn up having had no sleep, and still be drunk from the night before. Additionally, miss all of Saturday's practice, and half of Sunday morning's practice.

OK so you won't do too well, but I've never felt so relaxed/unpressured on the startline in my life - no expectations, anything other than dead last was a bonus :D

(how did you get on? I was 2nd to last in Experts lol - 1:14.something)

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
(no offense ;)) but your problem is mental. if you are consistently faster in practice than "when it counts", that's purely mental. someone suggested focusing on the internal conversation. that's a great way to build consistency from practice to race and help your mind forget that the race run is any different than practice.

the one word mantra "Go!" is right. focus on quick, one word, positive messages. always tell your body what to do. if you say "ok, now don't dab your foot in this section coming up" you just reminded yourself about dabbing and put a negative thought in your head. Instead, say "get through this clean".

and when you're practicing, try to learn something new about the course every single time down. if you crash, go back and learn from it. practice until you know the course inside out. that way when your race run comes you'll be completely at ease. basically along the lines of "I OWN this course, lets go have some fun"

sorry if this is a bit much, but I had a similar problem pitching in college and my coach turned me on to the mental aspect of solo sports (9 guys yes, but you're all alone on that mound). helped me immensely. I've been a huge fan of sports psychology ever since.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Not sure how helpful it'll be, but here's my thoughts. I started having considerably better race results when I slowed down a bit, thought and went smarter and not harder. I think this is a good way to improve for a lot of sport and some expert-level riders. If you ride your race run at 100% you will likely crash or otherwise make the kind of mistake that leads to a big time loss (going off course, severely blowing out turns, losing momentum). Try something like 95%- you might not feel like you're at the limit, but there's a good chance your times will be better and more consistent. You should also try to ride each section of the course at least once at the speed you think you'll hit in the race (or close to it). Things look and feel different when you're going ridiculous speed- you might end up taking (bad) lines you didn't try in practice because you overshoot things.

Another thing that helped me was being a bit smarter in how I used my energy on the track. For example, went to a race that started with a very long, flat-ish, muddy section with some momentum-sapping features. Yeah, it was faster in the short term to pound my way through at a full sprint. But that would leave me fairly winded at the start of the run and I'd be that way the whole way down. I figured conserving some energy at the start, taking it somewhat easy (not a full sprint at least) was the way to go. At least for me, the quality of riding goes way down and mistakes go way up when I'm totally beat and can't breathe.

Another big thing for me is staying calm. I used to get really nervous before the race and could actually feel my heart rate rise in the start gate before I began the run. Naturally, I rode worse when nervous or even when I was really trying to get all pumped up/aggressive. I had more fun and went faster when I didn't worry as much about the result, just gave it my best shot and enjoyed the ride.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Don't think about going "100%". The only people who go 100% are WC pros, or people who are f-ing stupid (holy sh*t Fabian Barel at worlds amirite?). If you're worried about crashing in your race run you're probably gonna crash. Ride at 90% or lower, if you're riding 100% your crashing and risking too much.

It's not about not being nervous. You're going to be nervous racing. You're going to have butterflies, you're going to crash once in a while. The trick is knowing how fast you're capable of riding and being consistent. Speed is nothing without consistency. If you're not consistent the best you can hope for is a lucky run.

It's just like any competitive sport, visualize success and be confident.

The only thing in my head when I race (which I rarely do) is "pedalpedalpedalpedalpedalpedalpedalpedal" as fast as my brain can say it in my head.

I think I'm done rambling here.

Last edited:

bigjimmy

Chimp
Aug 23, 2009
sorry, but that's bolix. "pedalpedalpedalpedalpedalpedalpedalpedal" .

this is how lots of people crash out IMO.

lots of people faster than i think about not braking, keeping speed up, keeping relaxed.
not blowing themselves up pedaling the wholetime.

i just go, don't brake don't brake don't brake.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Stuff that's helped me, bearing in mind that I'm not that fast and I'm not a particularly good racer or anything either:

1. Do runs of the track in your head before the race. Make sure you do at least one full uninterrupted run in your head, visualising all your lines, where you're going to pedal, what you're going to do in each situation, and importantly how it's going to feel. Decide in advance where you're going to try to pin it, where you're going to brake, where you're going to be tentative/cautious etc. If you don't finish your mental run cos you got distracted, start again.
2. Don't flinch. Decide consciously before you ride that if something goes wrong, you're going to ATTACK rather than getting defensive. This means if you get off-line, or your wheels slide, or you make a mistake, you're going to deal with it aggressively rather than by trying to brake/back out and prevent a crash.
3. Accept imperfection before you start your race run. You're going to miss lines, you're going to make mistakes etc etc - decide before you ride that whenever anything is less than perfect, you're just going to accept it and keep riding. Don't get upset, don't try to make up for lost time, and be sure of this in advance.
4. Visualise the first 10 seconds of track out of the start gate REALLY thoroughly - what you're going to do, how you're going to attack it, etc.
5. Don't pedal at 100% ANYWHERE except for the final sprint to the line. Pedal strongly but don't get your heart rate up so high that you get noticeably more tired.
6. Whatever you try to make yourself feel, you'll tend to feel the opposite. The more you try to calm yourself down, the more you'll tend to get nervous. Instead, try to make yourself feel as scared as you can when you're about to start. Say stupid stuff to yourself like "oh my god I'm going to DIE" and something inside your head will realise you're just being silly, and tend to relax you as a result.
7. Make sure you've done your homework and practiced the track thoroughly. Don't try to ride faster than you did in practice.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Personally, I take the ace in the hole method, after having alot (2 surgerys a year) of crashes, i have taken a more relaxed approach at racing, and its payed off completely. I run all the practice runs slow to moderate. (about 50% of what ill give it in a race-which wont be 100% either)Since doing this i have hit podium 6/7 times. Personally its about knowing the course, may not be good for everybody, but i know how fast i can hit a section, so i practice entry lines and other stuff, and ill just run it up to pace in the race run. *i race JR. X*

Its also a mindfack for everybody else when they see u going so slow in practice

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Thanks for the replies, a lot makes sense here. I'll work on some changes to my riding I think & see how it comes out. I'm definately going to get one of those moto timer things, the freelap idea would be great but not really practical. So next best thing I think.

Forgot to mention though, this race probably wasn't the ideal benchmark, as something fairly major for me was i've just (like, the day before the race!) started wearing contacts, so everything is in HD all of a sudden! I've realised my depth perception (not just in riding, but everything) was useless, but I had learnt to compensate accordingly. I spent most of the weekend trying to adjust to this.

Seb, I did ok, first run I crashed in the switchbacks at the bottom, probably cost me 3 or 4 seconds, second run the guy in front of me crashed so I took the scenic route round him, and actually went slower. Think I was a 1.23 something. The track changed a lot between my two runs, should have paid more attention really... There was a surprising amount of better riders than I was expecting this weekend!

Got an uplift this weekend, and a race the weekend after, so plenty of riding to make a start in sorting myself out!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Freelap and moto timer are for completely different things in my opinion.

There's no point using freelap poles top and bottom of a course. They're a faff to set up, you'll spend your time worrying that they've been stolen, and they might not trigger when you go through them. And do you need to know run times to hundredths of a second to make yourself push harder?

For full runs, moto timer is super simple, and does the job adequately.

Freelap poles are (imho) a great idea if you want to session a small bit of track. Set them up through 2-3 corners, and practice your technique to see what you can do to shave those vital hundredths off.