Quantcast

Race runs

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
We just had our second DH round for the year and it got me wondering how people treat their race runs. We don't have qualifying at our local races but instead do 2 race runs with best time counting.

What I'm interested in knowing is do people go all out in both runs, or do a safe run on one and then go all out on the other? I found myself 10 seconds up on second place in my class so I decided to take the second run easy.

Thoughts?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Our 'home' course is short (+- 2 min), so the races our shop ran there were two-run format. We've done it both ways: best of two; and combined for a day's overall. For 'best-of,' I always tried to make my first run count; then if I made a mistake, it gave me a second run to redeem myself. If my first run was clean, I still tried to best it with the second run. Sometimes it's nice having the 'insurance' of a good first to take the pressure off and ride looser the second.

I personally liked when we did the combined-times method better. It rewards consistency and makes your combined 'run' more in line with a normal course time.

Last edited: