Quantcast

Race team benefits.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
So my decent placing at the last race has prompted one of the teams here in town to ask me to race for them... what kinds of benefits does one typically receive as part of a team... shop discount, race entry fees, team kit, etc, etc? I'm just guessing. Just curious as I've never raced for a team before.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Unless you are Pro and racing for a well funded team, expect no more than cost+10% on parts and some degree of race support. You usually end up paying a good chunk of money for jerseys and kit.

The connects for transportation and sharing resources is really the biggest benefit. Knowing that somebody will have a work stand, or hook you up with a part you need is nice. Especially if you are all running the same bikes.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got a cool shirt that was only $40 (would have been more to get my name on it). I also didn't have to drag tools to the race because the shop would set up a tent with stands, parts, tools, and beer.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I'm pretty sure it's different for a collegiate team, but we get at cost (no markup) at our sponsor shop and 10% off at other shops in the area. Plus jerseys, transportation, and a mechanic. And socks! (defeet is one of our sponsors..)

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I rode for a shop team once. On top of the free bike service, parts at cost, and a cool jersey with my name on it, they also supplied the beer on race weekends. Beer is an awesome way to replenish those pesky carbs that get burned up. I was responsible for race fees and transportation, and of course spreading the word about the bike shop.

Commeraderie was rad, so was the pass to iBike for that year.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I run and own Team Fat Kids.
For joining up with the devil you get a jersey, the right to attempt to hit up the Women of Team Fat Kids, 5% above cost from one of our sponsor shops, and I am working on a pair of socks for everyone.

There's no money in having a team, so get that out of your head. You loose money as a team owner/manager. This year I am down about $600 from the jerseys and the soon to be released website.

Mostly, like someone said above, its about a gang of people to race and act like a drunken jackass with, and of course the handies. Everyone loves a good handie.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Every local team I've been a part of usually has some variation on this:

-Discount at the sponsor shop (varies from free service to cost on parts to only 10% off on gear)
-Team kit at cost
-EP forms at random from team sponsors
-Mechanical support at races
-Camaraderie
-Feeling special

Raced the last season solo. Quite honestly, the thing I missed most was the camaraderie. Maybe it's 'cause a lot of people don't like chatting with someone racing stag and kicking their ass, too.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Every local team I've been a part of usually has some variation on this:

-Discount at the sponsor shop (varies from free service to cost on parts to only 10% off on gear)
-Team kit at cost
-EP forms at random from team sponsors
-Mechanical support at races
-Camaraderie
-Feeling special

Raced the last season solo. Quite honestly, the thing I missed most was the camaraderie. Maybe it's 'cause a lot of people don't like chatting with someone racing stag and kicking their ass, too.

Wanna be a Fat Kid?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Some teams or shops also have pretty good co sponsorship deals w/ small/independent bike co's/frame makers - We used to get very, very good deals w/ Sinister when we were cosponsored by them.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
There's no money in having a team, so get that out of your head. You loose money as a team owner/manager. This year I am down about $600 from the jerseys and the soon to be released website.
Tell me about it. I run Neverest and the 1st year I had almost $1k out of my pocket into the team. This year I had my riders "donate" to the team if they wanted any free gear sponsors gave us. Its a good way to keep me from paying for those buttheads and avoid team dues.

For benefits for my team, we have some shop support from Mojo Wheels here in Denver but most of our stuff comes directly from manufacturers for below wholesale (shop cost). We have a pit at most races, spare parts for everyone to use/borrow and we'll make fun of your hack style riding.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You sponsor roadies? :p
We've got a tri guy, a dude who runs marathons, and even a BMXican here in PHX. Sure, I think we got room for one more freak at the freak kingdom.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I rode for a shop team once. On top of the free bike service, parts at cost, and a cool jersey with my name on it, they also supplied the beer on race weekends. Beer is an awesome way to replenish those pesky carbs that get burned up. I was responsible for race fees and transportation, and of course spreading the word about the bike shop.

Commeraderie was rad, so was the pass to iBike for that year.
Last race I did I brought beer... I made it through half the beer before I said fuk this and started drinking out of my gallon gatorade. Had to stop feeling woosy before I was able to start drinking tehbeers,

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
My shop sucks. We get parts at 20% off. :( I don't even get socks!
Spoke to the guy today... cost + 10% on bikes and parts. Must ride a bike sold at the shop which means Trek or Fisher. I don't wanna buy a whole new bike just so I can race on this guy's team. Kits are cost + 10% as well.

No dice. I'll continue to race for team ME, just like Ricky Bobby.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
But...is this kit pretty? That's really my main concern when joining a team. :D
Its a work shirt with the logo on the back and your team name on it.
Yours is already "Princess Lenin"

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Spoke to the guy today... cost + 10% on bikes and parts. Must ride a bike sold at the shop which means Trek or Fisher. I don't wanna buy a whole new bike just so I can race on this guy's team. Kits are cost + 10% as well.

No dice. I'll continue to race for team ME, just like Ricky Bobby.
You just scared me silly because for a second I thought you talked to the shop I ride for. This is exactly what my shop sponsor is like. Same brands, gear, kit cost, and must ride a trek or fisher. I ride a used trek session 88 2009. I just got by with the skin of my teeth on that one. I got a smashing good deal on it and he would have charged me more money for a session 8 freeride frame brand new.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
You just scared me silly because for a second I thought you talked to the shop I ride for. This is exactly what my shop sponsor is like. Same brands, gear, kit cost, and must ride a trek or fisher. I ride a used trek session 88 2009. I just got by with the skin of my teeth on that one. I got a smashing good deal on it and he would have charged me more money for a session 8 freeride frame brand new.
cuz racing with me would be terrifying... hehe. Probably a standard trek team deal. im not a huge trek fan... id race on a superfly, but id rather race on my epic or an anthem.

will have to hit up a shop that has those ;)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Its a work shirt with the logo on the back and your team name on it.
Yours is already "Princess Lenin"
If I join, can I spend a couple weeks in the winter on your couch for my own TFK training/doping camp?

It frightens me that I'm seriously considering this.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
If I join, can I spend a couple weeks in the winter on your couch for my own TFK training/doping camp?

It frightens me that I'm seriously considering this.
Sure, there are shuttles every Wednesday and Saturday down here. I'm hoping by then to have either a) taught the girlfriend how to drive the truck or b) find a new girlfriend who can drive the truck already.

We have the greatest blood dope in the world here. Called beer, it makes you magic. And my house is just five easy blocks from a mid level strip club. This place has EVERYTHING.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I run and own Team Fat Kids.
For joining up with the devil you get a jersey, the right to attempt to hit up the Women of Team Fat Kids, 5% above cost from one of our sponsor shops, and I am working on a pair of socks for everyone.

Mostly, like someone said above, its about a gang of people to race and act like a drunken jackass with, and of course the handies. Everyone loves a good handie.
im not fat but I want in.....whats the handshake and password?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
im not fat but I want in.....whats the handshake and password?
Well the "handshake" is shaking your hand on someone's junk, and the password is "I won't press charges, I promise."

PM me, you're just our sort of wrong.