Quantcast

Raceface Atlas wheels...why so $$$

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
They look nice but they're super pricey. Never ridden Raceface wheels but man, a few hundred more and you can get carbon rims on good hubs from either Hope or I9.

Is it because they think their hubs are great or something?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yeah, their hubs are expensive.

Are they worth it? No idea.
No they arent.
I hate RF but i fell for their hubs
wide Bracing Angle, big flanges, relatively light
Big body gives them a distinctive look.

designed and built in the north west, where its like wet and stuff
figured they would be well sealed.

well lets start form the beginning,
I bought a used pair of straight pull setups from their prebuilt wheelset on pinkbike
was going to do a 28H dh wheelset build with alpine 3 spokes, and dt ex511 rimz or some LB carbonz

got the used units in hand, didn't spin great, cracked them open

The front Enduro beaings LLU sealed, gross. lots of drag, signs of water ingress in the hub, the auxiliary seals they brag about ineffective and draggy.

The rear pop the driver out, looks like its full of mud, they talk about their custom seal, it doesnt do diqk.
full of rust. popping the bearings out the two piece hub shell split apart not sure if it was supposed to be bonded or not but it sure didn't look like it.

gave them away.
for some reason, not sure on my logic at the moment, well now I am sure it was flawed....
I bought a brand new 32H set i suppose cuz of my boaner for the wide bracing anglez.... and my at the time higher dislike of the very over rated I9 hubs.

I ended up building a set of wheels with the new hubz ex511 rimz 32 aerolites up front and 32 aerocomps in the back cuz im a sucker for bladed spoakz......

After a few months of riding them I was prepping the bike one day, and i noticed perhaps, 0.015-0.020" lateral play when grabbing hold of the front tire and jiggling it. Foar the Metricz here that is 0.5mm.

my reaction "DAFUQ is wrong with my bearingz dey R new"
nothing, nothing was wrong with my bearings
the hubs are shared between 15x100 and 20x110, and the endcaps fit way loose, way way loose. the axle is 0.006" larger ID than the OD of the spacers (0.15mm) and no matter how tight you tighten the front axle, it doesn't go away....
to make it stop ive got a piece of 0.003" shim stock wrapped around there...

fucking shim stock in my expensive ass hub......
Diz is not where I want MOAR SHIMZ!
yes I emailed them, they are too busy doing Canadian stuff to give a shit.
was going to post this in the this is whats wrong with the industry thread....

Attachments

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
also word on the street is the wheels dent easily like a stans.
so unless you want shitty hubs and dented rims,
get something else.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sounds shitty.

May I suggest www.hadleyhubs.com?
Pfft, weakest hubs ever, I cracked a second hand rear hub body in no time, about ten years or something stupidly short.

Was it due to me giving zero fucks about a few broken spokes and tensioning wheels then riding DH? Nah manufacturing defect for sure, made a good noise when it let go, hahaha!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I just got my new Hadley / DT wheels!

Hella stoked.

I know it's off topic, but plain 15mm sure looks spindly compared to TorQQue Capz.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pfft, weakest hubs ever, I cracked a second hand rear hub body in no time, about ten years or something stupidly short.

Was it due to me giving zero fucks about a few broken spokes and tensioning wheels then riding DH? Nah manufacturing defect for sure, made a good noise when it let go, hahaha!
I have a pair that I bought used from @jonKranked at least 10 years ago that are still in regular use on my hardtail.

Got another BNIB pair sitting on my workbench waiting for me to decide what my next bike is gonna be.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
No they arent.
I hate RF but i fell for their hubs
wide Bracing Angle, big flanges, relatively light
Big body gives them a distinctive look.

designed and built in the north west, where its like wet and stuff
figured they would be well sealed.

well lets start form the beginning,
I bought a used pair of straight pull setups from their prebuilt wheelset on pinkbike
was going to do a 28H dh wheelset build with alpine 3 spokes, and dt ex511 rimz or some LB carbonz

got the used units in hand, didn't spin great, cracked them open

The front Enduro beaings LLU sealed, gross. lots of drag, signs of water ingress in the hub, the auxiliary seals they brag about ineffective and draggy.

The rear pop the driver out, looks like its full of mud, they talk about their custom seal, it doesnt do diqk.
full of rust. popping the bearings out the two piece hub shell split apart not sure if it was supposed to be bonded or not but it sure didn't look like it.

gave them away.
for some reason, not sure on my logic at the moment, well now I am sure it was flawed....
I bought a brand new 32H set i suppose cuz of my boaner for the wide bracing anglez.... and my at the time higher dislike of the very over rated I9 hubs.

I ended up building a set of wheels with the new hubz ex511 rimz 32 aerolites up front and 32 aerocomps in the back cuz im a sucker for bladed spoakz......

After a few months of riding them I was prepping the bike one day, and i noticed perhaps, 0.015-0.020" lateral play when grabbing hold of the front tire and jiggling it. Foar the Metricz here that is 0.5mm.

my reaction "DAFUQ is wrong with my bearingz dey R new"
nothing, nothing was wrong with my bearings
the hubs are shared between 15x100 and 20x110, and the endcaps fit way loose, way way loose. the axle is 0.006" larger ID than the OD of the spacers (0.15mm) and no matter how tight you tighten the front axle, it doesn't go away....
to make it stop ive got a piece of 0.003" shim stock wrapped around there...

fucking shim stock in my expensive ass hub......
Diz is not where I want MOAR SHIMZ!
yes I emailed them, they are too busy doing Canadian stuff to give a shit.
was going to post this in the this is whats wrong with the industry thread....
Sooooooo.....

What you're saying is the hubs aren't that great?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah and it's still rolling smoothly.
Yet i9 get an insane amount of hype and ive gotta put bearings in them all the fing time, I live in California and I don't wash my bike... wtf
still smooth even with little maintenance. to be fair its a front hub, less to go wrong.

my I9's came from kidwoo and are the first gen model and are still good. although i'm short a pawl somehow.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
also word on the street is the wheels dent easily like a stans.
so unless you want shitty hubs and dented rims,
get something else.
The e.13 alloy rims that came on the Norco Sights this year are the new standard for butter. Nearly everyone I know who bought one has had to replace either one or both rims already. One shop actually upgraded the rims to DT as a warranty issue.

Its rare to see a product so unfit for purpose these days.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The e.13 alloy rims that came on the Norco Sights this year are the new standard for butter. Nearly everyone I know who bought one has had to replace either one or both rims already. One shop actually upgraded the rims to DT as a warranty issue.

gwin offers thoughts and prayers

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Sooooooo.....

What you're saying is the hubs aren't that great?
They are shit,
Rf is a shit company
Their carbon bars need sunblock or else shit flakes off of them
Personally seen tons of their six c and next cranks break
And the hubs aren't sealed well with their seals, don't spin great with all the seals in, the two piece construction is questionable, the end caps are loose.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

I remember the sun singletrack rims... those were the 20yr old standard of butter. ... I called those: singlerides.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Chineesium alloy for compliance...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The new RF wheels are same effective rebranded hub as what Nukeproof, Spank, Tairan, and others.

Haven't destroyed it yet.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ugh... I just priced out full cost of those Race Face Atlas wheels as if I wanted to pay full price for them. Yup, they cost as much as Nobl carbon rims with Hope Pro4 hubs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They are shit,
Rf is a shit company
Their carbon bars need sunblock or else shit flakes off of them
Personally seen tons of their six c and next cranks break
And the hubs aren't sealed well with their seals, don't spin great with all the seals in, the two piece construction is questionable, the end caps are loose.
The more I see, the more I believe this. Not as epically bad as say, Crank Brothers, but still pretty bad. There were a few things they could not screw up, like I-beam aluminum cranks with taper-fit interfaces, but otherwise there seems to be a big difference between the "image" of RF and what they really are. They didn't engineer the dropper post, they licensed it. That's not inherently bad, but they don't seem to bring anything to the table as far as design is concerned. They were more than happy to slap insufficient bearings on 30mm spindles and cram them into BB92, where they'd subsequently fail a little while after.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ugh... I just priced out full cost of those Race Face Atlas wheels as if I wanted to pay full price for them. Yup, they cost as much as Nobl carbon rims with Hope Pro4 hubs.
Gotta pay for all those Next warranties somehow.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I remember the sun singletrack rims... those were the 20yr old standard of butter. ... I called those: singlerides.
Hahaha, still have a set of those with Ringlé hubs for my Glory Oldtimer. Rear is utter toast and was substituted by a mavic ex823, front obe is still running.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

Is it really such a surprise from E13? pretty much everything they make is either badly designed/manufactured, pointlessly over complicated or just plain shite.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Is it really such a surprise from E13? pretty much everything they make is either badly designed/manufactured, pointlessly over complicated or just plain shite.
RF and E13 are the same....

I did quite like the first generation of E13 cranks tho. They seem to remain intact, while the same cant be said for the race face offerings.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
More a spec decision puzzlement. Looks like Norco made a running change because the mid-year deliveries came with different wheels.

You know your product sucks when it gets replaced mid-cycle....

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Well...I have absolutely no complaints about my RF Vault hubs. The ARC30 rims are not very good, but the hubs have been solid for me.

120 POE and reliable so far (2.5 seasons). I am actually considering building a second set.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
6c bars and atlas pedals have both been good to me. one of the atlases developed a bit of lateral play that was easily cured by filing the spindle a bit. other than that both bars and pedals have taken a ton of abuse and survived just fine.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Well...I have absolutely no complaints about my RF Vault hubs. The ARC30 rims are not very good, but the hubs have been solid for me.

120 POE and reliable so far (2.5 seasons). I am actually considering building a second set.
i'm running vaults as well (on stans). happy with them so far. have only heard positive things from others here on the wet coast. *shrug*

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
My RF stuff has been alright over the years. No real issues other than my Next cranks getting loose initially until I put my 220lbs down on the wrench to tight them.

But these Atlas wheels...price doesn't add up.