Quantcast

Raceface Atlas wheels...why so $$$

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
i'm running vaults as well (on stans). happy with them so far. have only heard positive things from others here on the wet coast. *shrug*
Your satisfaction with either product mean that one or more of the following applies to you

Your light
Smooth
Slow
don't ride much
Aren't discerning

Lol

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
But metal or plastic? It's pretty hard to screw up turbines, but the plastic cranks....
I ripped a pedal out of the metal,
Pretty shit crash...
I nailed section that normally saps a lot of speed from you, then they had just widened the next turn by clearing a large shrub from the adjacent hill, I decided to preserve my extra speedz, using the extra trail and bit of hillside as a berm

Well shrubs stump caught my foot smashed it threw me on the ground to the low side and catapulted my bike over my head and into a ravine,
was real funIMAG0578.jpg
Not really their fault...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
A friend has been trying to get me to believe in White Industries. He disintegrated one of their hubs within 7 rides and he is still telling me their awesome. Most bike jewelry isn't meant to be abused. I gave up on WI after I bent a set of UNO's within 40 minutes of their inaugural ride.

I think the volume of people who actually put the screws to their bikes is less than 20% of people who own bikes. The bike companies know this so they dont care to make their shit strong. They will still say its strong and charge big bucks. Most people will never find out that strong is relative to bike handling ability.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I ripped a pedal out of the metal,
Pretty shit crash...
I nailed section that normally saps a lot of speed from you, then they had just widened the next turn by clearing a large shrub from the adjacent hill, I decided to preserve my extra speedz, using the extra trail and bit of hillside as a berm

Well shrubs stump caught my foot smashed it threw me on the ground to the low side and catapulted my bike over my head and into a ravine,
was real funView attachment 152325
Not really their fault...
How'd the pedal fare?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A friend has been trying to get me to believe in White Industries. He disintegrated one of their hubs within 7 rides and he is still telling me their awesome. Most bike jewelry isn't meant to be abused. I gave up on WI after I bent a set of UNO's within 40 minutes of their inaugural ride.

I think the volume of people who actually put the screws to their bikes is less than 20% of people who own bikes. The bike companies know this so they dont care to make their shit strong. They will still say its strong and charge big bucks. Most people will never find out that strong is relative to bike handling ability.
I had a front hub from them a long time ago, the "boxxer" hub, but then again, a front hub is just a tube with two bearings in it. The rear hubs they make are just regular pawl/ratchet hubs from what I see. I'm not sure how that's any different than Hope.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

WI used to be awesome in the 90s. My 150lb trail riding self never had a problem with them :)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I had a front hub from them a long time ago, the "boxxer" hub, but then again, a front hub is just a tube with two bearings in it. The rear hubs they make are just regular pawl/ratchet hubs from what I see. I'm not sure how that's any different than Hope.
I am not sure what the deal was but after the LBS pulled it apart my lbs mechanic friend said I won't be buying any of those!