Quantcast

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've owned many Race Face products over the years startling with cnc Turbine LP cranks from the mid 90s - for me their products didn't really stand out as superior. I've had 3 sets of Race Face cranks lose teeth - I've never lost teeth from any other crank set.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
inevitable when you go from making a few core components that everyone loves, to trying to make something for everyone who rides some type of MTB

when will people realize the go-go-go-go-go-diversify-expand-mega attitude is foolish?

sad to see it happen to a company who made a lot of great stuff in the late 90s and early 2000s. wish they'd stuck to their old game.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Bummer. Love the bars and posts, but hate the cranks. Sorry to see them go.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
From what I've heard.
"Business owner got a huge loan from the bank based on fraudulent inventory valuation statements. With the money, he paid himself a ridiculous wage: >$30k/mo. Bank auditors finally figured out what was up and shut the place down. He's facing a civil suit for the loan (over $3MM) as well as likely facing criminal charges."

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
R.I.P. Race Face!!!! They were a great sponsor of mine and think they made some of the best parts for bikes!!!! It is very sad to here this.

JP, I hope you are taken care of along with all the great people that made that company so damn great to work with!!!!!

Cecil

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I've owned many Race Face products over the years startling with cnc Turbine LP cranks from the mid 90s - for me their products didn't really stand out as superior. I've had 3 sets of Race Face cranks lose teeth - I've never lost teeth from any other crank set.
And I think there spine interface is TERRIBLE! they use a ton of bull**** little plastic spacers to adjust chain line, as well as a single fixing bolt on the drive side. As well as the quality being only on par with the rest of the industry.

That being said, I love my atlas FR bars

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
This would be a perfect opportunity for the Hayes Bike group to add components to their Brake and suspension business.get a little closer Giving Sram a little competition?
Would that mean buying the rights then having all the product building done in Asia then?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ugh. Somebody will buy the brand and churn out sub-par parts in asia real quick I imagine. Super sad.

I just bought some light urple bars for refabbing the sunday....have my eye on their evo knee shins too.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
its always sad news when a NA manufacturer / company goes down, people with good intentions lose their jobs due to financial mismanagement and misdirections

RF? they made good handlebars, stems and body armour

their seatposts and cranks were sh*t with poor warranty backup - I speak from experience after having both my "lifetime warranty" RF Diablous crankset and seatpost totally fail, and getting no support from Race Face

ditched the crankset for Shimano Saint HT2, and the seatpost for Thomson, and never had to claim "warranty" ever again..

(Roach) RF knee / shin guards and elbows / forearm guards were simply AWESOME, and I also rate their "body armour jacket" which they stopped making as quickly as it appeared?

their clothing? shorts were good, jackets were p*ss poor value in terms of fabric tech.....looked pretty but overpriced and sweaty compared to competing brands

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
From what I've heard.
"Business owner got a huge loan from the bank based on fraudulent inventory valuation statements. With the money, he paid himself a ridiculous wage: >$30k/mo. Bank auditors finally figured out what was up and shut the place down. He's facing a civil suit for the loan (over $3MM) as well as likely facing criminal charges."
That would do it.

Explains why this was such an all-of-a-sudden thing. Somebody will inevitably front some cash and swoop the company and its assets up. If there were some private equity group in the MTB industry, this would be a pretty good deal. RaceFace has a strong brand, decent products, but unfortunately as we've seen... HORRRRRRIBLE management.

Corporate fraud only works when you're directly working with the Feds.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
While the nostalgic side of me is sad to see RF go, there's no shortage of quality offerings to fill the void.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
With this talk of a buyer moving their production to Asia, I gotta say I assumed that's where they were all along. Isn't it?

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
bummer......What's going to happen to the clothing line, ie Roach/Raceface? The new black armour looked great.

J

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
While the nostalgic side of me is sad to see RF go, there's no shortage of quality offerings to fill the void.
Imho there are no better cranks on the market. Yeah the interface may be bad if you are lazy, a halfwit or take your cranks off very often but for regular riders they are as good as saint without the overbeefed bash tabs and at the same time are lighter. I know that's not by much but still it was a good competition. E13s apparently don't clear some frames and Truv has to make an OCT descendant.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Imho there are no better cranks on the market. Yeah the interface may be bad if you are lazy, a halfwit or take your cranks off very often but for regular riders they are as good as saint without the overbeefed bash tabs and at the same time are lighter. I know that's not by much but still it was a good competition. E13s apparently don't clear some frames and Truv has to make an OCT descendant.
Atlas FRs aren't hallow, why do descendants have to be?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
http://www.sicklines.com/weights/cranksets/

Save 25g and you get to have a dogsh*t interface and cheesy overall setup! Definitely worth the weight savings in that lowest and center part of the bike.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
50+ men and women - most of whom are passionate riders - have lost their jobs.

Let's not forget that fact while we're all having fun cracking jokes, bashing on the product, and generally tap dancing on RF's grave.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
http://www.sicklines.com/weights/cranksets/

Save 25g and you get to have a dogsh*t interface and cheesy overall setup! Definitely worth the weight savings in that lowest and center part of the bike.
I had no problems with the interface, none of my friends did. I understand that if a few people on the net have than all of the net has but I'm very happy with my cranks.
25g is not important but it adds up.
Also - I can get a cheaper bash chain guide because of atlas because saints uses stupid tabs and you can never find a deal on "special saint ed" guides.
Also - you missed the in my opinion part. I like them, you don't have too. Especially when the differance is quite small.

btw. I rub my feet much less on them vs saints.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Let's not forget that fact while we're all having fun cracking jokes, bashing on the product, and generally tap dancing on RF's grave.
John,

Any prospect of some of the employees purchasing the rights to the Race Face name? Or does the liquidation of the company entail that all IP, tooling, raw materials, and naming rights go to the highest bidder?

It would seem to me that this unfortunate incident could provide a great opportunity for some of these employees to pursue their own startup.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Im just crossing my fingers and waiting for the post to come that RF was bought by (insert awesome bike company) and their products will live on. Ive ridden RF since the beginning and I will ride it till there aren't any products left. A great canadian company.

All you internet haters can say what you want. This is one of our own here.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Sh1tty tale of business here. Sad...Always absolute crap to have a player in the bike business go down, like John P said, 50+ bike people have lost their jobs.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC

Well said!....... I hate to see you guys go myself. I've liked everything I have from RF.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I had no problems with the interface, none of my friends did. I understand that if a few people on the net have than all of the net has but I'm very happy with my cranks.
25g is not important but it adds up.
Also - I can get a cheaper bash chain guide because of atlas because saints uses stupid tabs and you can never find a deal on "special saint ed" guides.
Also - you missed the in my opinion part. I like them, you don't have too. Especially when the differance is quite small.

btw. I rub my feet much less on them vs saints.
I ran the RF track cranks and I had the splines on my fixie get totally destroyed from side loading in skids. I have since ordered some DX cranks for my bike

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I ran the RF track cranks and I had the splines on my fixie get totally destroyed from side loading in skids. I have since ordered some DX cranks for my bike
Atlas. I don't care about any other ;) For a road bike I'd defo get something else. Also maybe rf simply doesn't support hipsters ;)

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Im just crossing my fingers and waiting for the post to come that RF was bought by Devinci and their products will live on. Ive ridden RF since the beginning and I will ride it till there aren't any products left. A great canadian company.
Something like that would be cool.

Always been a fan of their chainrings... love the machined cranks but preferred a Shimano-style spindle interface.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I've run NOTHING but Raceface (And Raoch) leg pads... Will have to stock up on the closeouts!!

Also loved their cranks (Turbine LP's back in the day and now the Deus cranks).
Had some handlebars, but they were nothing special.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You'd have to think that if, dodgy owner aside, a relatively successful and competitive components manufacturer went into receivership that either another component manufacturer or a bike company would make the call to put in a bid for it.

Unfortunately even if that does happen, it wouldn't be overnight and thats little help to the employees who are left high and dry for now.