Quantcast

Racer geeks: Team issues

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Is it kosher to drop out of a team halfway through the year if you feel like you're taking it up the ass?

At this point, I think I'd be better off riding independently mail-order supported :p

I mean, what kind of LBS charges one of their "sponsored team" members for a headset install? Hell, I wasn't on the team at my old LBS in Salt Lake and they'd do that for free... :mumble:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Your team should have gotten a detailed agreement as to what the shop would do for free, what discount the team members get, how many races team members are required to do, etc. If your team didn't get that, and just said "oh we'll ride for you and you hook us up", then that's your team's fault.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
Your team should have gotten a detailed agreement as to what the shop would do for free, what discount the team members get, how many races team members are required to do, etc. If your team didn't get that, and just said "oh we'll ride for you and you hook us up", then that's your team's fault.
:stupid: I would honor my committment and perhaps rethink for next season?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Regardless, I wouldn't bitch / post about it in a public bike forum until the issue was taken up with the Bike shop and discussed with the Team. :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The Kadvang said:
I dont get this...

How many of you guys have the proper tool to install a headset?

I do

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
splat said:
$2 at home depot!! 1/2 inch threaded Rod, 2 pieces of wood ( I prefer OAK) 2 big whashers , 2 -1/2 inch Nuts . bingo , headset instillation tool!
Exactly. This is the quintessential poor man's headset press, which I'll be making today to press a headset in my new (used) frame. I also have a couple chain whips made out of aluminum sheet stock and old chains.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
splat said:
$2 at home depot!! 1/2 inch threaded Rod, 2 pieces of wood ( I prefer OAK) 2 big whashers , 2 -1/2 inch Nuts . bingo , headset instillation tool!

:stupid:

Instead of Inbreds rubber washers I made "washers" from oak to prevent metal to metal contact.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Shop sponsorship is a very funny relationship. My last shop thought of team sponsorship as giving away products and services at a huge discount without seeing much in terms of advertising. The team, which I was also a member of, saw it as a bottleneck to getting their well-deserved products and services.

At the local shop level, this might be more of a charity service than a true financial committment to your team. Conversely, what kind of results do you and your team have. Are you winning at the lowest levers (Cat 4/5, Beginner/Sport), or are you successful at the Cat 2/Expert level?

For example, my old team is the top amateur club in the region, with winners from the Cat 1/2 level down, as well as being known as extremely nice guys who are involved with local cycling events.

Sometimes the relationship between my shop and the my team was rancorous. Services were not supplied or charged too much for, or the newest members of the team received the same discounts as the senior members.

As a rider on a team, you should be able to talk to your president and establish what you get and for how much. You should also have a good relationship with the sponsoring shop. You are their representative, and if you show up demanding free stuff without results or a relationship, you might get what you get.

J

JRB

I have all-thread and do my own stuff. Headset installation is one of the easiest things to do.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
firetoole said:
I made a "headset cup remover" out of an old seat post (cut 4 slits on one end and bent the flaps out) works like a champ

That's a damn good idea. I'm going to have to try that later...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The headset was for a magnesium frame, one which I did not wish to take the anti-corrosive layer off with the ghetto 2x4 method.

There isn't a "written" team deal, but the honor your commitment people are right...I shouldn't quit, and I don't want to burn bridges. I really don't feel like I have a reason to represent them any longer, but it's not like I'll be worse off if I continue on the team. It sort of feels like I have an obligation to buy all of my bike stuff from them if I ride for them, even though I can get it mail order a hell of a lot cheaper. I feel bad walking into their shop with a bike decked out in Pricepoint supplied parts because I know they will likely give me BS about it, even though they know I can't afford jack crap. Oh well, I'm moving 90 miles away in a month...

We don't really have a team "president", and it's mostly roadies. The shop is a hubby/wife deal with no other employees, the shop and team aren't that separate of entities. Moo...