Quantcast

racers cant huck

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
from this article on NSMB http://www.nsmb.com/people/watson_10_05.php
" Dave Watson, along with Andrew Shandro, was one of the first riders with a DH race pedigree to make the switch to freeride. It’s getting tougher to make a living racing DH and freeriders are now starting to make good bank, but with the exception of Gracia there don’t seem to be many riders who have what it takes to make that jump. "

interesting.... Watson is a sick rider reguardless though

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
wow, that is something that i would expect of a little idiot on pinkbike to say, but not dave watson.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
gnurider1080 said:
wow, that is something that i would expect of a little idiot on pinkbike to say, but not dave watson.
The person who made that statement is the author of the article, Cam McRae. Not Dave Watson.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
watson is a lot more than just a hucker. a little bit jealous there cab.? and if cam sees this i have just one question. hey man when are you and your crew coming back to windrock?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Anyone who is in this sport for the "money" has got another thing comin'.

Freeriding is trendy, hucking will die out eventually.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
That's pretty funny.....

1. Kyle Strait 81.6 85.8 85.8

2. Gee Atherton 77.8 83.8 83.8

3. Steve Romaniuk 70 79.8 79.8

4. Thomas Vanderham 79.4 68 79.4

5. Lance Canfield 78 DNF 78

6. Ben Reid 68.8 70.4 70.4

7. Cameron Zink 64.4 69.6 69.6

8. Glyn O'Brien 67.6 61.4 67.6

9. Mike Kinrade 60.4 67.4 67.4

10. Wade Simmons DNF 64 64

11. Guido Tschugg 63.8 58.4 63.8

12. Matty Hunter

hmmmmm 04 rampage results.....aweful lot of racers in there that can't cut it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
this is stupid, hardcore riding is hardcore riding. Racing, hucking, freeriding, they both make the panties drop, who cares.
________
Uggs

Last edited:

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
not trying to knock anyone but i think john kirkcaldie (sp?) said it best in synopsis "at the end of the day, there are some pretty good freeriders out there who can ride their bikes, but generally all the guys who can ride their bikes race downhill"

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
pZyteX said:
as long as we all ride bikes and enjoy it, does it matter how we enjoy our bikes?

Welcome to the 2005 Playa Hater's Ball.

Hate! Hate! Hate!
Hate! Hate! Hate!

Next up, clips or no clips.

"I saw your momma ride with clips--she wasn't even on a bike!" "Biatch looked like she had a rough night with Mr. Ed."

Hate! Hate! Hate!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
LukeD said:
not trying to knock anyone but i think john kirkcaldie (sp?) said it best in synopsis "at the end of the day, there are some pretty good freeriders out there who can ride their bikes, but generally all the guys who can ride their bikes race downhill"
Yeah I spat beer out of my nose the first time I saw that clip. There's a bike going downhill and kirkaldie is usually somewhere near it, maybe even attached, but "riding" it seems to not happen very well.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I think the author was just pionting out that it is hard to be really dedicated to racing and freeride comps and that only a few riders (gracia) seem to do all the major freeride events and world cups. I don't think they were infering that racers can't go big with lots of style.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
kidwoo said:
Yeah I spat beer out of my nose the first time I saw that clip. There's a bike going downhill and kirkaldie is usually somewhere near it, maybe even attached, but "riding" it seems to not happen very well.
Kirkaldie will win practice, for real.

I saw him yesterday, dude is fast.

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
I don’t see what all the fuss is about it’s a fact that racers find it hard to make a living out of DH. It is easier to make a living from throwing yourself of a cliff, which is a shame as I think more money should be spent on promoting DH.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
stinky6 said:
I think the author was just pionting out that it is hard to be really dedicated to racing and freeride comps and that only a few riders (gracia) seem to do all the major freeride events and world cups. I don't think they were infering that racers can't go big with lots of style.
exactly. everybody calm down.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
if dale earnhardt rode a bike with the skill and attitude he drove with before the onset of radial tires, he would have out hucked and out raced any and every body who ever threw a leg over a "big" bike.(he'd also still be alive. damned restricter plates.)

Jan 29, 2005
I have come to the conclusion that racers can huck and huckers can race. After watching "singletrack" in the extra features of the collective, and then synopsys it has become readily apparent to me that anyone who can make money riding bikes is extremely skilled and talented. end of story!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
hate isn't all bad, it will only push either side of the ball in any situation to better themselves

they all got skeellzz

bring the hate, probably get to see some fools ride some sick stuff

fortfun19

Chimp
Oct 28, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
Here's the thing, whether or not racers can huck or hucker's can race depends on how well rounded a rider is. Freeride in general is growing very fast and racing is dying for the most part. All the money in this industry is going to freeride, not racing anymore. Just watch, within the next 2 years Keystone will be hosting a Crankworx type event and it will draw an immense crowd due to the fact that racing isn't much of a spectator sport.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Racing is dying becasue of norba. Freeriding is growing becasue its hella chill.

And one of the fastest dudes I have ever ridden with is a "hucker"

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
kidwoo said:
Yeah, I mean he only won YOUR national series... twice. :rolleyes:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
fortfun19 said:
racing is dying for the most part.
Guess you've never been to Europe or Canada for that mater.

Racing will always be around, and for many reasons. One, being the fact that racing will always tell who the absolute fastest (best?) rider is, and it's unarguable unlike slope style where judges decide on who danced, err, rode the best. 2:42.88 is always better than 2:42.89, whereas "Hmm that bar spin off the table looked good from over here in my booth" can forever be debated and will never empirically prove who the better rider is. Not to mention racing is what pushes the development of product more so and that’s where companies like to put development. Then, you have the fact that most of the people doing well in freestyle comps are coming from a racing background. Interesting…..

edit: got the numbers backwards