Quantcast

Racing BMX's vs. ???

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Well I am thinking of switching to the BMX world, and was thinking of buying a bmx off a friend. I'm not 100% sure on the brand, but i know it is an older, but not tooo old, "race BMX", bought off a bmx racer, who was 2nd in our provincials. (not that that matters) But I would use this bike for the skate park etc. and maybe a few dirtjumps. Just minor stuff really. Would a "race" bmx be appropriate for my type of riding? or should i look for another oppurtunity for a freestyle or something bmx. Thanks in advance.:monkeydance:

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I have a "Race" styled bmx bike, an old '99 or '98 GT Interceptor. I've used it for a lot of urban riding and have ridden my friends more freestyle bmx bikes. Mine compared to there's is that mine has one piece cranks compared to their 3 piece cranks, their frames are beefier, components are stronger, the gearing is smaller, and it has a GYRO. Those are pretty much all of the major differences I can see.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I think most "race" bmx bikes have a longer rear end making them more stable at speeds. They are designed light. They would hold up on dj's but I wouldn't think so well on street.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
thanks. like i said, I am new to bmxing, so what is a "GYRO"? do you think it would hold up to airing out of about 4 ft quarterpipes?

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
A gyro allows you to spin the bars infinitly where as with a straight cable you'll have to wind and/or unwind the cable after spinning the bars. If it were me I would get a bike designed for what you're wanting to do unless you want to race some too. Then again, you might be fine if you're just starting out.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
^^ thanks for clearing that up. I don't think I'll be wanting to race, but it's at a cheap price so it's no biggie if it doesn't work out.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
go ahead and get the bmx race bike if you just want to learn the feel of the 20 and ride some dirt jumps. but if you really want ride street and skatepark, don't do it. race frames are generally not designed to run pegs. in fact, your warranty is usually cancelled by running pegs. the dropouts are not thick enough to sustain the abuse. the typical new school all around street/skatepark/dirt jump frame has: 1) 14mm axle slot in the rear 2) 3/8 axle (that's small) on the fork 3) mid or spanish bottom bracket 4) 990's i.e. u-brakes upside down on the seat stays.

a race frame is different because it will have 1) a 3/8" axle in the rear. okay for a peg, but definitely not for peg abuse 2) fork dropout may be so thin as to not even be good with a peg 3) ?? bb 4) cantilever brakes instead of ubrakes. park riders generally don't like cantis because they don't have the same solid lockup feel. they are spongier. they also get in the way a little more if you are throwing your bike around.