Quantcast

Racing Sim...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Forza is the shiznitobam zipzapsnappa.

Got it last night... very realistic. Ive won several cool cars and bought a car that I always wanted in real life. The Buick GNX. I have the GNX totally maxed out, fatty monster tires, huge turbo, etc, etc. The mofo is fast. They give you a good little line up to choose from too, I started out with a nice Lexus and was getting my arse kicked until I decided to drop another engine in it, that changed things a lot because I started winning everything.

Very cool physics, cars handle completely differently. Car damage is really nice to have, wrecks are pretty realistic. I like this game a lot and I cant say that I've ever liked a racing game this much before.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've wanted to check out that game... cool to hear a good review.

FWIW... I don't know what the GNX is, but I don't much care... it still sounds funny that a Buick is your dream car???

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
jacksonpt said:
I've wanted to check out that game... cool to hear a good review.

FWIW... I don't know what the GNX is, but I don't much care... it still sounds funny that a Buick is your dream car???
Its just something that I wanted as a teenager. Its a badass turbocharged darth vader buick from hell.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
golgiaparatus said:
Its just something that I wanted as a teenager. Its a badass turbocharged darth vader buick from hell.
ah, ok... it's the buick version of the olds 442, more or less? My first car was an 86 Cutlass Supreme. It was heavy as hell, but a good first car. As such, I kind of have a soft spot for the 442.

This is not my car (mine didn't have the spoiler, thank god), but you get the idea

and the 442

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
My neighbor's got one of those......

I can remember wanting one of those or a Monte SS.

Of course, I'd always have rather had a Porsche 911. :blah:
When I was about 17 I couldn't get my hands on a GN or a GNX so I actually bought an heavily modified an 85 Monte SS. Started with a 305 with a measly 200 horses approx, dropped in 350 4 bolt with new pistons that yeilded 10.5:1 compression, heads ported and matched to intake by yours truly and a good streetable high lift - medium duration cam... Never dyno'd it but it would sure put the mustang, camaro, and early NOS'ed rice rocket crowd in their place. Didnt cost too much either since the 350 was pulled from a junker and I did a lot of the work myself. Anyway, the GNX would still have been a better car and probably gotten better than 9mpg average. I use to commute to college 100mi (1 way) 3 times a week in that car, good thing gas was pretty cheap back then. V6 in the GN would have been nice for that.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
jacksonpt said:
ah, ok... it's the buick version of the olds 442
Sort of... the buick 442, the Montecarlo SS, and the GN all shared the same body, but the GN was the most advanced... mostly under the hood. Turbo V6 (280hp approx), as opposed to the Monte SS which had a 305 V8 (200hp approx), and the 442 which had the same sh!tpile under the hood as the monte SS.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
golgiaparatus said:
<snip>dropped in 350 4 bolt with new pistons that yeilded 10.5:1 compression, heads ported and matched to intake by yours truly and a good streetable high lift - medium duration cam...
You might be a Redneck if.........

:D

We had a '79 Monte and my sister trashed the motor, so we too dropped in a 350. You could hardly leave a stop sign without burning tire.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
You might be a Redneck if.........

:D

We had a '79 Monte and my sister trashed the motor, so we too dropped in a 350. You could hardly leave a stop sign without burning tire.
I had that problem solved with big monster wide tires. I didnt have that redneck look to it. The car was slightly lowered with 4 tires that were the same height. The width of the rears cleared the fender well just barely and the front wer just skinny enough not to scrape in a u turn. Damn that car was fun... so damn fun. I miss it.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
great game, got it when it came out, i'm at level 48 now, got a crap load of cars.
i love the customizability, with enough imagination and time you can really make cool designs.
i'm currently working on making an impreza 22b look like Colin Mcraes 98 impreza wrc car, pretty much done except for the small graphic on the front of the bonnet(hood for you americans).
i'll post up a pic a little later.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The GN and GNX were the ultimate hillbilly supercars. Not that there was anything wrong with them, they were and are damn hot autos. I wish US automanufacturers went out on a limb and built more cars like that.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
here are the cars i'm working on at the moment.

Mcraes 98 impreza WRC
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/steve45/imprezafront.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/steve45/imprezarear.jpg

mercedes/mclaren SLR, done up in orange livery(still have a lot of work to do on this one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/steve45/orangeSLR.jpg

oh, about the game though, yeah its amazing, really fun and great physics, but i've played racing sims that put the physics on this game to shame, for example GTR FIA racing but thats a whole different type of game, its a true hardcore no compramise unrelenting simulator, where you spend the first month learning to try and stay on the track for a full lap, i'm yet to finish a race on the podium.

the physics are great for a console game though, i would be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable console racing game that gives you such a great experience, i'd even go as far as saying GT4 struggles to compare.
the graphics are brilliant, very slick looking, plenty of cars with absolutley amazing customization(as i've already gone into) graphicly and performance.
the one thing the game lacks is a cockpit view.
its a shame i dont have Live, i feel like i'm missing out on a huge part of the game.

anyway i've rambled on for long enough i'll shut up now.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
steve45 said:
here are the cars i'm working on at the moment.
That Merc looks tight with the fade and whatnot.
Currently my garage is lame but it gets the job done...

I have this totally hopped up Dodge Neon as my FWD car, Its a POS compared to the rest but it can win. I have 2 RWD cars, GNX and the Lexus with a much more powerful engine in it. My AWD car is a Lancer with all the goodies. Ive won several other cars but I keep using the cash to upgrade the ones I have been working on.

The funny thing is the Buick is so maxed out that nothing can touch it. Its crazy fast, I cant wait to drive it against some better competition.

My next car I think will be either a 69 Camero, or possibly the new GTO.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
no, its xbox only.

now isnt a great time to be buying one of the current generation consoles, the Xbox360 is out the christmas, so if i were you i'd wait till then and either buy an Xbox360 (backwards compatible with most popular Xbox games) or get an xbox cheaper.