Quantcast

Racing: Small margins and the little things

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I know that looking back and trying to connect the dots to what could have been can be futile considering how many variables there are in racing, but when you lose a race by less than second, a margin which is pretty common, it makes you wonder about the little things...

High speed track and a windy day:

What if I tucked in my jersey?
What if I took the visor off my helmet (at the risk of looking like an idiot)?

What if took the effort and changed my tubes to XC ones after seeing that the course wasn't rocky?

What if I ran cleats instead of flats?

What if my suspension was a little softer?

What if I had a little more propedal?

The variables seem infinite but I'm sure some of you experienced guys out there must know the difference between BS and what really works when it comes to the little things.

I don't really want to include what actually happens on track as once you exit the gate it's just a whole 'nother infinity of variables.

What little things can you do before race runs that would or could shave off precious milliseconds?
Tucking in the jersey was the first one I thought of as it would take no effort at all.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Seriously, even the pros win or lose by 2-6 seconds sometimes depending on many variables. That's an eternity compared to tucking in a jersey or running XC tubes. I'd work on fitness and just practice practice practice.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tubes can actually make a fairly substantial difference on a pedally course, especially if you are out of shape. Outer edge of the wheel makes a HUGE difference to how much energy it takes to get the wheel moving out of corners etc.

It can also make a difference to how exhausted you are at the finish.

BUt ya, eat less mcdonalds and train and bit and you'll be better off anyways.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Knowing I'd buy a new bike after my race run would make me go faster! :D

I wouldn't consider myself pro by world class racing standards but pro here would probably be equitable to high cat/non-world cup pro in north am/ europe. I have lost too many races by fractions of second. I'd say it matters. But I've only been racing for a season and a half (?) now and I don't really have the experience to know what works and what doesn't.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Knowing I'd buy a new bike after my race run would make me go faster! :D

I wouldn't consider myself pro by world class racing standards but pro here would probably be equitable to high cat/non-world cup pro in north am/ europe. I have lost too many races by fractions of second. I'd say it matters. But I've only been racing for a season and a half (?) now and I don't really have the experience to know what works and what doesn't.
There are many minute things, some of which you can control, but in the end, i think there are more "shoulda, woulda, coulda"s than minor things. I agree with tubes; visor and jersey i guess are possible, but the slight aero you save, might be hindered with the sun in your eyes (or maybe not) I know that when i race i make minor mistakes, some of which are good, and some of which are bad. Maybe being more consistent is of greater importance than the minor things, that said, tuck in your shirt, it cant hurt. This year i won the US open by .01 I can guarantee you the guy in 2nd could have found .01 in the bank somewhere. That was the difference between a free bike, and free cranks.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I never second guess my equipment, possibly because I'm stoked on my bike the way it is, but more because stressing over that many little things just messes up your head before a race.

I focus on going fast and pedaling hard. I figure if I lost by a few 10ths of a second, then next time I need to pedal harder and make less mistakes. It's cheaper to make yourself faster than your bike anyways and I need all the money I can get so I can go to more races :D

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Tubes can actually make a fairly substantial difference on a pedally course, especially if you are out of shape. Outer edge of the wheel makes a HUGE difference to how much energy it takes to get the wheel moving out of corners etc.

It can also make a difference to how exhausted you are at the finish.

BUt ya, eat less mcdonalds and train and bit and you'll be better off anyways.
Thats why I use tubeless. Its a bit of a hassle but for faster courses I just add a bit more pressure for even better rolling and Im noticably faster on the parts where rolling resistance makes a differance. If only I liked to pedal more ;)

As for changes - Id change flats/clips depending on the track. Thats all.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
nah not a full on piss, just slightly haha. But on a more serious note, a little thing that is also a huge confidence boost to me in racing is slapping on a new set of Minions race morning.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
You really need to just listen to demo 9. He doesnt train, buys a new bike for every race, and mommy foots the bill for him to race. Everybody else here are just a bunch of posers, and interweb riders.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You really need to just listen to demo 9. He doesnt train, buys a new bike for every race, and mommy foots the bill for him to race. Everybody else here are just a bunch of posers, and interweb riders.
your not jealous of my mom are you :rolleyes: Did your mom take you off the nip too soon?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Nah, not jealous. Im sure my mom has all the same money yours does. I was just raised to earn what I want. I could have 20 dh bikes if I wanted to live with mommy.
Is there a difference in the ride of a DH bike when its earned (since i allegedly dont pay for any of my parts)

BTW is your girlfriend hot? I have an extra superco i could trade for her, my mom can pay the shipping :thumb:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Try changing out your 31" bars for the good ol 29"s, moar aarow :rofl:

Ive lost races by very little when I was racing cat 2. Most of the reason why is I was out of shape and would stop pedaling. So every time I get in the gate now I tell myself "pedaling pain is just temporary, winning will last forever."

But for real theres so many little things it could be.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Check Geritt Beytagh's time from the 5k DH at Whiteface a few years back. One with a chain, one without. The difference was minimal. Most all the time, it's the rider.

Kirkcaldie beat most of the world on the biggest pile of crap known to man....an RM 9 with Monster T and 3.0 Gazzalodi on a 24" rear.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I know that looking back and trying to connect the dots to what could have been can be futile considering how many variables there are in racing, but when you lose a race by less than second, a margin which is pretty common, it makes you wonder about the little things...

High speed track and a windy day:

What if I tucked in my jersey?
What if I took the visor off my helmet (at the risk of looking like an idiot)?

What if took the effort and changed my tubes to XC ones after seeing that the course wasn't rocky?

What if I ran cleats instead of flats?

What if my suspension was a little softer?

What if I had a little more propedal?
Not sure that many of these would matter. here is what matters...

WHAT IF I DIDN'T BRAKE SO MUCH!!