Quantcast

Racing Supplements

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
are there any drugs (sort of legal:devil: ) to alleviate lactic acid buildup and to induce easier breathing (opening up of lungs passages and etc)? I know I should workout but we already know that..:p

Originally posted by Orven
are there any drugs (sort of legal:devil: ) to alleviate lactic acid buildup and to induce easier breathing (opening up of lungs passages and etc)? I know I should workout but we already know that..:p
cytomax is supposed to help with the lactic acid.

some people swear by those nose strips to help with breathing.

- sorry, that's the best I've got :)

Originally posted by Acadian

As for breathing enhancers...I don't really know! I know ephedrine helps, but don't think it's legal...
ephedrine is the controversial ingredient in fat burners such as hydroxycut and metabolife.

it basically speeds your metabolism - I don't know how that would help with breathing - in fact it gives some people terrible side effects, including shortness of breath.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by Acadian

the entire Enervit line is just superb! I've tried it all with great results.
do I need to find No-Neck-Joe on a corner street on El Cajon BLVD or do the frisky folks at GNC have them?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
cytomax is legal and is the real deal. this is from a site pimpin cyto

Cytomax is the world's most scientifically advanced complex carbohydrate, electrolyte performance energy drink. Ensures proper hydration, steady energy and reduced fatigue during exercise.

Benefits of using Cytomax:

Beats The BurnTM: Cytomax's patented alpha L-PolylactateTM buffers lactic acid production in your muscles, reducing the "burn" during intense training and minimizing post-exercise muscle soreness.

Steady Energy: Complex carbs stabilize blood sugar during exercise - no sugar crash

Cell Protection: antioxidants prevent exercise-induced free radical damage to muscle cells

Oxygen Delivery: succinates enhance oxygen delivery by up to 11% during exercise, reducing perceived exertion and minimizing muscle damage

Cellular Balance: Electrolytes ensure cellular nutrient balance is restored quickly after exercise

Low Osmoality: ensures fluid reaches your muscles quickly - as fast as water!

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

ephedrine is the controversial ingredient in fat burners such as hydroxycut and metabolife.

it basically speeds your metabolism - I don't know how that would help with breathing - in fact it gives some people terrible side effects, including shortness of breath.
Ephedrine is a bronchiodilator-- it will open your lungs but I am not sure you would want to combine the stimulant effects of it with the elevated BP and HR in a race-- people occasionally keel over from stuff like that.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
are there any drugs (sort of legal:devil: ) to induce easier breathing (opening up of lungs passages and etc)?
Just a suggestion - but stay out of the San Burdoo valley.:p

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
pyruvate capsules and a Primatene inhaler. Over the counter on both. Or go down to Mexico and pick up some albuterol inhalers (prescriptions up here in US, but OTC in Mexico)

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Ok I don't want to come off as an A hole or anything but why in the heck would you use some of this stuff?? Non tested herbals and\or semi legal drugs just to ride better\get bigger? I guess I don't get it...

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
Originally posted by El Jefe
pyruvate capsules and a Primatene inhaler. Over the counter on both. Or go down to Mexico and pick up some albuterol inhalers (prescriptions up here in US, but OTC in Mexico)
i think albuterol will show as a steroid; since it is one

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by ATXjimATX

i think albuterol will show as a steroid; since it is one
It's not an anabolic, but it is on the cycling banned list unless you have a prescription. Even then, there is a limit to how much you can have in your system. Ephedrine on the other hand is banned completely. So pick your poison. Many over-the-counter medications and cold remedies contain banned substances.

Stanker

Chimp
Jul 19, 2002
NorCal, Foothills
There is a new Ephedrine-free version of the Ripped Fuel. I have taken Ripped Fuel and it's kinda like doing speed. Makes you really irratable and jumpy. I only take something like that if I am going on a long ride, say all day at Northstar or Downieville. Most the time I stay away from it.

http://www.1dietproduct.com/xenadrineefx.html
or
http://www.easymuscle.com/ripfuelepfre.html

If you have any heart problems, stay away from ephedrine products, they can jack you up

I have been trying the Cytomax stuff and not sure if that works or not.....

Stanker

Chimp
Jul 19, 2002
NorCal, Foothills
Originally posted by Squeak
Ok I don't want to come off as an A hole or anything but why in the heck would you use some of this stuff?? Non tested herbals and\or semi legal drugs just to ride better\get bigger? I guess I don't get it...
Why do people smoke crack or shoot up?

dg806

Chimp
Apr 26, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

Ephedrine is a vasodilator.....it opens the airways. But seeing it does speed up your metabolism and heartrate, it would not be a good idea to go pumping hard on a Mnt bike for hours!

Stanker

Chimp
Jul 19, 2002
NorCal, Foothills

donnie, I thought I made it clear about the exercise part on my first statement;)
All you said was that, you should work out.

Try drinking lots of water during the day to stay hydrated. When you plan on riding, throw some Cytomax in your Camelbak or what ever you use to drink with. ..Seem to help with the lactic acid build up since it contains potassium and sodium(salt) to help your muscles when you ride. Water tastes nasty after awhile when riding...I prefer something sweet now....

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
re: Cytomax

Cytomax seems to be the real deal. I am very skeptical about the claims some products make, and even more skeptical about putting them in my body. Case in point is Accelerade. If you do the research, you will find that it is basically Gatorade with Ginseng. (Ginseng will have many of the same effects as ephedrine, already discussed in this thread, with elevated HR and BP.)

Cytomax has definitely helped me on long/hard rides. If I know I am going to be riding at, or above, LT then I always take some along. The biggest problem -- for me -- about Cytomax is that I can't drink it for more than about 3.5 hours. My mouth gets too gummy and it starts to taste REALLY bad.

My solution has been to start with 2 bottles of Cytomax, and then start refilling with 1 Cytomax and 1 Gatorade. The mix works for me, keeps the taste ok, and keeps the mouth problems away.

The other benefit -- for me -- in using Cytomax is that my RPEs really do seem lower. I can't explain it, I just know I can ride harder. My wife, Mrs. Mario, is a biochemist by training, and was a practicing chemist. She doesn't fully understand it, but adds that she can't find anything detrimental in it either. (Placebo effect? Seems like more than that.)

BTW, Enervit has some weird stuff in it that I haven't fully checked out. Just enough to know that I don't want it.

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
I forgot three things:

1. Multi-vitamins. You need vitamins to convert the stuff you eat into fuel. Take a good multi-vitamin to help with this process. Also, if you are working hard, your body produces a ton of free radicals. Anti-oxidants (A, C, E) will help your body fight these suckers. You will feel better during your ride, and less sore afterwards.

2. Post-Ride Fuel. Get your carbs and a little bit of protein after riding, ideally within 20 to 30 minutes. During hard exercise you deplete the glycogen in your muscels. To refuel, you need to get carbs back in your body as soon as possible to take advantage of your body's heightened insulin effect (allows rapid uptake of carbs after exercise). If you wait, the insulin effect will actually reduce your body's ability to uptake for several hours making it very difficult to refuel for awhile. There are lots of expensive drinks to accomplish this, but skim milk with Ovaltine works great. If you are on the road away from home, you can get Nestle Quick in a reduced fat form in almost any convenience store. Sports drinks, juice, etc. also work. Try eating a yogurt, too.

3. Asthma medications. Someone mentioned Albuterol in an earlier post. I have a friend who takes Albuterol (he has exercise-induced asthma) and swears it helps open up his lungs. A newer drug, with longer effects (e.g., 5 to 6 hours) is Foradil. Both are prescription meds in the U.S. They also may get you in trouble if you have to take a urine test after the race, so check the banned substances list.

Hope this helps... :)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I forgot to mention that i have been using Carnitine, Cordycepts and bee pollen...they work great for me....D

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I'm buying the big can of Cytomax then.....any suggestions as far a s what nasty flavor to stay away from or are they equal opportunity nasty tasting anyways..:D

I really appreciate all the info....

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I'm buying the big can of Cytomax then.....any suggestions as far a s what nasty flavor to stay away from or are they equal opportunity nasty tasting anyways..:D

I really appreciate all the info....
go grape! ps always have a bottle of just water too for the reasons mario explained in his last post.

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
re: Cytomax

I think they all taste a little "off" at first, but the lemon/lime seems particularly nasty. It was weird; on my first ride I could barely stand the taste, and after that I was fine with it. Hope it works for you, too, Orven.

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
Orven - How's the Cytomax working? I rode a 200 mile brevet on Saturday, and couldn't believe how good I felt at the end. I definitely had the conditioning, but the fuel/hydration part made the difference given a very strong group of riders. Results? I rode under 12 hours with 13,500' of climbing. I think I came in 10th, or so, out of 100+ riders. :monkey:

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Squeak
The same reason many of us take a multi-vitamin every day. You evaluate the potential benefits and disadvantages of something, then decide whether or not you want to use it. The outcome of the decision is of course going to be different depending on how you rank the ups and downs of each item, for example if you don't care about the legalities, but really want the benefits then you'll take it.

Or in the case of the multi-vitamin, if you don't care about the money spent, and want the potential health benefits instead of eating a diet that will give you those nutrients without supplementatin then you take a multi-vitamin daily.

Is that really so hard to understand? I'm not asking if you can agree with it, because that is entirely individual, but can you understand how someone else might?

If it matters, I don't supplement with anything, not even a multi-vitamin and I eat horribly, so I am not speaking from my own viewpoints, only that I can understand someone elses viewpoint on the issue.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by mario
Orven - How's the Cytomax working
well, I was trying out this "Bonk Training" and fell ill for a day after consuming nothing but Cyto... the acid from the drink just caused me some great constapating(sp) pain.. I think it works

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
Geez Orven: Bonk training and only Cyto? I would be lying in the gutter! Also, remember the advice to drink one bottle of Cyto with one bottle of something (anything!) else...

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by mario
Geez Orven: Bonk training and only Cyto? I would be lying in the gutter! Also, remember the advice to drink one bottle of Cyto with one bottle of something (anything!) else...
that one bottle was of a laxative......:monkey: