Quantcast

Rack help

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
No its not what you think...

I got a new (to me) vehicle, and am having a hell of a time finding a rack for it. I simply want 2 tray type, fork mount (remove the front tire) configured carrier for my 98 Subaru Outback Legacy wagon. It has the factory rack, and I would like to mount the carriers directly to it. I beleive thats possible.
Any shop/sales Monkeys have input? The Tule and Yak sites were of little help to me, but then again, I am drunk, and functionally and computer illiterate...

gtdrew

Chimp
Jun 14, 2005
You can use mighty mounts from Yakima but only with the bike carriers that you do not take the front wheel off. The skewer type grab the Yakima bar which is a round bar.

Try Sportworks. I think that is the name of the company. They might have something that works.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
One option is Thule's Tracker II system, which goes into the tracks for your factory rack. You can then put on their load bars and bolt whatever you want onto them. Alternatively, Rocky Mounts makes a rack that fits on factory bars directly, but it dosn't play very nice with some disc brakes. Modification may be required. Thule also makes adapters to attach their racks onto factory bars.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Thats what I tried initially. Get some "professional" help. After I asked if they had a fit guide, the guy just says look it up on the intraweb, and come back and he will order it for me. Yeah, I am going to do all the work for you, then come back, a two hour round trip to my "L"BS. If you dont want to help, you dont get my $$ asshole...
Internet sales must be murdering the LBS.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Actually, Thule racks have a terrible mark up at most LBS's, not sayings its a good reason, but thats why some people just tell you to go on the Int and get all the info for them. If your near me I will get your parts and stuff for you, come see us at Cycelry USA in Either Riverside or Redlands. We will have you covered, and get your parts ordered in a hurry

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
any thule fork mount with the 532 ride on adapters will work. If it was me I would go with yakima mighty mounts and a highroller. I like yakimas product better than thule, and with the high roller no matter what bike you have you can cary it, but the bike does sit higher and decreases gas mileage a bit more.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yakima Part numbers Part # 8003590 Rack mounts

My favorite Yakima rack

Part # 8002084

1998 SUBARU Legacy Wagon
Factory Rack

Universal MightyMount
Part # 8003590 0 locks $47.00 USD 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 $94.00 USD

King Cobra upright mount
Part # 8002084 1 locks $135.00 USD 0 1 2 3 4 $270.00 USD

Your selected products require 2 lock cores. SKS Lock Core Pack
Part #8007202 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 0 0 $25.00 USD
TOTAL PRICE: $389.00 USD --Select Dealer-- RackAttack REI ORS Racks Direct Rack N Road Rock Creek Outfitters Campmor Sun & Ski Sports Rutabaga Moosejaw
Getting thules now

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
No hitch fellas...need a roof rack. Thanks N8...
Gonna check Hollywood racks out.
No hitch because you don't want one or don't have one?

U-haul can put one on just about any car in an hour. the cost of the hitch will be covered by the amount of gas you save with the lowered wind resistance.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Your back hatch will be able to open with a Thule T2 hitch mount...even with bikes on it.

I have a 2K outback wagon and the T2 has been great with up to 4 DH bikes. Folds up out of the way when not in use..folds down with bikes on it to access the rear hatch. You will only be able to find a 1 1/4 inch hitch for your car (will be fine for two bikes) but just about any hitch/trailer joint will be a ble to fab up a 2" reciever for you which will allow up to 4 DH bikes.

I used to have roof top sportworks racks...the hitch is MUCH more convenient.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
My LBS ordered the Yakima rack system for my Subaru and installed it for me at no extra cost. It's nice to see that good customer service still exists and the racks were about the same price as the "discount" dealers online.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i have the old sportworks before thule bought them out and managed to get a set that mounted directly to my factory cross bars. i had to "rig" it a bit for rigidity with a piece of flat rebar but it works fine. it's not a wheels off rack though, it's the kind that hooks over the front wheel.