Quantcast

Rack mount computer servers

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have a question for the networking people out there; how would I setup a server that distributes the wifi and acts as a central place for data storage? I found a cool wall mount for a single server, so I was going to do that. TIA

<edit> damn, I was hoping this thread would stay in the lounge longer...more traffic there :(

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
well, you don't need anything complex.

If you've got the computer, you just need a WiFi router. They're like $50.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
well, you don't need anything complex.

If you've got the computer, you just need a WiFi router. They're like $50.
I know I can use a router, but I was wondering if there was a PCI card or something that would sit inside the server.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why would you want more traffic to an extremely specific technical question? The tech monkeys who can answer your question, for the most part, post in here and the rest of the traffic would just be fluff.

Rack mount server cases are available at any hardware place like NewEgg, just pick one that looks good to you. The storage can be done easily by mapping network drives on the client computers to shared folders on the server.

There are ways to set up your server as a router for wireless but they are typically unreliable and flaky. Also, installing something like a software firewall (such as IPCop) that would let you do that is going to cripple what you can actually do with the server.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Why would you want more traffic to an extremely specific technical question? The tech monkeys who can answer your question, for the most part, post in here and the rest of the traffic would just be fluff.

Rack mount server cases are available at any hardware place like NewEgg, just pick one that looks good to you. The storage can be done easily by mapping network drives on the client computers to shared folders on the server.

There are ways to set up your server as a router for wireless but they are typically unreliable and flaky. Also, installing something like a software firewall (such as IPCop) that would let you do that is going to cripple what you can actually do with the server.
Thanks for the response. I wanted lots of snide remarks from the lounge :) I guess I'll have to go with a router, I was just hoping to integrate everything into one unit. I've been browsing newegg.com for servers, and consequently found some awesome deals on big screen tvs :lighten: Here is the link for the wall mount....I like it becuase its closed and half way descent looking.
http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/Wall_mount_rack_Sideways_Panel_Mount.asp

<edit> maybe shocking to you, I'm a software engineer....I just don't know that much about the hardware side of things.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I guess I'll have to go with a router, I was just hoping to integrate everything into one unit.
Yeah, I understand completely, as I toyed with the idea myself. There just aren't a lot of good options out now to do that, and most of them end up being not as functional as even an inexpensive wireless router.

I thought the wall mount was kinda ugly, myself ;) - there are a lot of fairly attractive cases on the market now, even stuff that would tuck away in your audio equipment and look right at home (I have a HTPC set up with an Antec NSK-2400). Pick what you want, of course, just mentioning that you don't have to sacrifice looks for functionality. The NSK-2400 is designed to isolate the power supply and hard drives (two big sources of heat) away in their own thermal chambers. Works nicely. There are lots of good cases around.

There are several hardware monkeys that post in here as well as myself so post up any questions you have and I'm sure they'll get answered.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, I understand completely, as I toyed with the idea myself. There just aren't a lot of good options out now to do that, and most of them end up being not as functional as even an inexpensive wireless router.

I thought the wall mount was kinda ugly, myself ;) - there are a lot of fairly attractive cases on the market now, even stuff that would tuck away in your audio equipment and look right at home (I have a HTPC set up with an Antec NSK-2400). Pick what you want, of course, just mentioning that you don't have to sacrifice looks for functionality. The NSK-2400 is designed to isolate the power supply and hard drives (two big sources of heat) away in their own thermal chambers. Works nicely. There are lots of good cases around.

There are several hardware monkeys that post in here as well as myself so post up any questions you have and I'm sure they'll get answered.
Damn, I like the NSK-2400. Looks good, isolates the power supply and hard drive and has a some big fans.....I bet it runs nice and cool. I'm actually setting this up for a client (I normally only handle software issues, but this came up), and its going into the 2008 budget so I have some time to shop around. I'm supposed to have an overall estimate for changes (labor and hardware) in the next couple of weeks. I'll estimate high, and then they will be pleased when it comes in under (or at least "satisfied" if its at budget).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Only thing with the NSK-2400 to keep in mind is it requires a micro-ATX motherboard. However, there are a pretty large number of good uATX motherboards around now.

Those two fans can run it super cool. I threw a big tower heatsink in there (Scythe Mini Ninja - literally as tall as you can fit in the case) and run a single fan set on low, and it keeps things cool while being virtually silent. Which is good, since it's in the living room.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Only thing with the NSK-2400 to keep in mind is it requires a micro-ATX motherboard. However, there are a pretty large number of good uATX motherboards around now.

Those two fans can run it super cool. I threw a big tower heatsink in there (Scythe Mini Ninja - literally as tall as you can fit in the case) and run a single fan set on low, and it keeps things cool while being virtually silent. Which is good, since it's in the living room.
Thanks for the info. Aren't you getting your degree in electrical?? Computers a side interest?

drakan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia, USA
If you run Win2k3 Server Enterprise, I could walk you through the steps of setting up your server as an ad-hoc router type deal-e-o..
Basically speaking, it would be an auto IP distributing wifi network.. But, not a real router, because it wouldn't have the same security features, and such that current gen routers have...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
There is a good reason to use a $50 router and a server as separate units. If you want networked storage, look at the Dlink DNS-323 NAS. 2 SATA bays, I have 1TB of networked storage, gigabit access.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thanks for the info. Aren't you getting your degree in electrical?? Computers a side interest?
Nope, I'm getting my degree in I.T. with a specialization in networking. I'm going to have all kinds of acronyms after my name when I'm done :p

Basically speaking, it would be an auto IP distributing wifi network.. But, not a real router, because it wouldn't have the same security features, and such that current gen routers have...
Also, it's much more limited in range/signal strength. It's a pretty huge compromise just to have everything in one box.

drakan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia, USA
Yeah, it's really not worth it. Get a SMC Industrial router, if you're concerned about security.. Drill a part in your wall, route some cables to your server, because you are gonna want a hardline if you're hosting.. Wifi is no fun to setup a webserver over. Then, make sure it's secure. You don't want a fracking wardriver breaking into your network, and stealing some files.. (It's happened to me..)

BTW: BV, how old are you?!
Dude, I'm 17 and going for my MCSE this year... You're behind!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Behind? I'm 25 and have 4 semesters of college and 7 years of full time work experience under my belt. Been working with comptuers since I was 15, so that's a decade of built up knowledge. Whatcha got at 17? ;) :D

I'm 25 and a sophomore/almost junior (not sure exactly where my # of credits puts me) in college. Going back a little late but I got some good work experience and a lot of partying under my belt before it would interfere with my education. I passed my CCNA last year and am starting my CCNP this year. MCSE isn't something I'm concerned with since they're almost a dime a dozen now.

When I graduate I'll have my RHCT, Network+, possibly Security+ if I care enough to get it, CCNP and a couple pieces of the MCSE but I won't be finishing it off. I may stretch myself into the CCIE after a few years of working depending on how things go.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> MCSE isn't something I'm concerned with since they're almost a dime a dozen now.
Try a dime a gross. :p

When I graduate I'll have my RHCT, Network+, CCNP and a couple pieces of the MCSE but I won't be finishing it off. I may stretch myself into the CCIE after a few years of working depending on how things go.
I ain't got a single f**king certification. I guess it pays to have gotten into the game when it was red hot. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I ain't got a single f**king certification. I guess it pays to have gotten into the game when it was red hot. :thumb:
That's partly it. I could work in the industry without certifications, but a CCNP is going to give me an very high starting salary without specific experience in the networking field, and put me way out in front of most other recent college grads.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Behind? I'm 25 and have 4 semesters of college and 7 years of full time work experience under my belt. Been working with comptuers since I was 15, so that's a decade of built up knowledge. Whatcha got at 17? ;) :D

I'm 25 and a sophomore/almost junior (not sure exactly where my # of credits puts me) in college. Going back a little late but I got some good work experience and a lot of partying under my belt before it would interfere with my education. I passed my CCNA last year and am starting my CCNP this year. MCSE isn't something I'm concerned with since they're almost a dime a dozen now.

When I graduate I'll have my RHCT, Network+, possibly Security+ if I care enough to get it, CCNP and a couple pieces of the MCSE but I won't be finishing it off. I may stretch myself into the CCIE after a few years of working depending on how things go.
Nerd.

BTW - look on Craig's List for a rackmount case, you may get a screaming deal like the ones I just sold.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5748&cat=500

drakan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia, USA
Damn. Well, at least I had the moment in my mind.. I've been working with computers since 14. I got my A+ at 16, and now I'm taking Administration classes at my high school. Taking the Cisco classes (CCNA) was too much of a stress on my schedule, so I have to take them in College. And, I hope to get my Network+ later, and major in Network Security/Minor in Design...

Hell though, how many college students do you know, coming INTO college with an MCSE?!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Oh yeah huh? I have BS in Software, minor in Business and Writing and I'm getting my MBA in IT management!! :) I'm moving business side and away from writing code all day (not that there is anything wrong with writing code all day long). It is cool your getting your certs Drakan, especially at such a young age. Hell, all I did in High School was ride my bike and party (I guess I did that a lot in college as well).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
That's partly it. I could work in the industry without certifications, but a CCNP is going to give me an very high starting salary without specific experience in the networking field
Maybe... I've been in interviews with a number of individuals who had Sun, Red Hat, and Microsoft certifications and apparently didn't know $hit about those operating systems. Not sure if they had the certs with no practical experience or what, but nothing takes the place of real "get your hands dirty" experience.

I think you're gonna be golden, though, because you seem to know your $hit. :thumb:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Maybe... I've been in interviews with a number of individuals who had Sun, Red Hat, and Microsoft certifications and apparently didn't know $hit about those operating systems. Not sure if they had the certs with no practical experience or what, but nothing takes the place of real "get your hands dirty" experience.

I think you're gonna be golden, though, because you seem to know your $hit. :thumb:
We have had kids interview straight out of college who don't know SQL and have no database experience.....you have to be kidding me, what are these schools teaching them?? I had a hands on college, that spent time teaching theory and then all of our homework was practical application of the theory.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Damn. Well, at least I had the moment in my mind.. <snip>

Hell though, how many college students do you know, coming INTO college with an MCSE?!
Don't equate certificates with knowledge. All it means is someone studied to answer test questions. Practical experience will trump book learning 99 times out of 100. It's great that you're getting the certs, but they're only a small part of the equation.

BTW, you still haven't passed the test, so let's not get ahead of ourselves ;)

SS, ire; it's amazing how little some people know. Everyone in my CCNA classes plowed through the step by step labs, never learning a thing while I was busy doing things like changing my EIGRP routing metrics and seeing what happened when it broke the network. It's not even that they didn't have the experience, it's that they never actually learned the material, they just learned how to pass the test. I was talking to a guy who interviewed a recent grad with a CCNA. He asked him a very basic networking question and the guy just stared at him blankly. When he was asked if he knew the question, the guy just said "of course I do, I passed the CCNA test."

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
^^ I agree. Passing a test doesn't mean that you know what you're doing. I guess the biggest thing I got out of college was HOW to find a solution....if I didn't know the answer I knew how to hunt it down, and I think that is one of the most important things. I had friends who intereviewed with Microsoft and they would ask you questions until you couldn't give a response, and then they wanted to know how you find the answer/solution. Anyway BV.....can you answer my question above a couple of posts? ^^

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Yup. The ability to troubleshoot. It's invaluable. And once a company sees you have that ability they'll try to keep you around.

It's invaluable in just about every blue-collar job like car repair, networking, system administration... :D

drakan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia, USA
Well, im apparently up to the task of solo-learning of the CCNA test, according to my teacher... She gave me a Cisco book, and told me to study. Apparently, I am the envy of all the networking kids in my county...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I do have one more question, could I just setup a wireless router and hook a network drive up to it and have something on the computers on the network that would do an auto backup to the drive?

<edit> something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822173054
Yessir. That would work just fine.

I don't have a lot of experience with consumer level NAS devices, so I can't tell you if that particular one is anything decent, but any backup software should be able to back up files to a mapped network drive like that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, im apparently up to the task of solo-learning of the CCNA test, according to my teacher... She gave me a Cisco book, and told me to study. Apparently, I am the envy of all the networking kids in my county...
You're the envy of everyone because nobody wants to bother to teach you anything? Hmm...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Yessir. That would work just fine.

I don't have a lot of experience with consumer level NAS devices, so I can't tell you if that particular one is anything decent, but any backup software should be able to back up files to a mapped network drive like that.
Thanks, I appreciate all of the feedback you guys have given.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
You're the envy of everyone because nobody wants to bother to teach you anything? Hmm...
I think he was implying that his knowledge has exceeded his teachers, thus making him special, and being special has made him the envy of the county.

splat

Nam I am
Dude, I'm 17 and going for my MCSE this year... You're behind!
and I was debugging software with a soldering iron ,before you were born! :D so you can cram and pass a test big deal.

Don't equate certificates with knowledge. All it means is someone studied to answer test questions. Practical experience will trump book learning 99 times out of 100. It's great that you're getting the certs, but they're only a small part of the equation.
Well said, it is amazing how many people I have interviewed who had certs and couldn't answear REAL world situations. and when askimg how they would solve a specfic sitition the answear from them is usually I'd open a Case with Novell/Microsoft/Sun/Cisco , etc, etc.

In other Words you annoyed her. how come that is not surprising.