Quantcast

Rack of Venison with Shallots & dried Cherries

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I dinner I cooked recently and thought you yob's might like.
Tastesgood, quite a rich dish though so maybe would go well with a salad like Rocket, fennel and orange with a balsamic dressing?

RACK OF VENISON WITH SHALLOTS & DRIED CHERRIES

1kg Frenched rack of venison
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup dried cherries or 1 cup fresh cherries
several sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
16 whole shallots, peeled
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup reduced meat stock or venison glaze

Method
Preheat the oven at 200ºC. Wipe the meat clean and place in a roasting pan with the red wine, cherries, thyme, bay leaf, shallots and pepper, and leave to marinate for 1-2 hours.

Remove the meat and heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Brown the meat on all sides, then remove.

Lift the shallots from the marinade with a slotted spoon and gently brown in the oil the meat was browned in.

Add the rest of the marinade and allow to bubble for 3-4 minutes.

Place the meat and shallots back in the roasting pan, pour the marinade over and cover with tinfoil. Place in the heated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes.

Remove from the oven, place on a warm plate, cover and leave to rest.

Place the roasting pan with the marinade, including the cherries, shallots and herbs, on a high heat.
Scrape any residue in the pan, add the meat stock or glaze and stir until it comes to a simmer and reduce to around 3/4 cup. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt if necessary.

Cut the rack between the bones to form neat cutlets, place on heated dinner plates and pour a little sauce over each serving.

Accompany with roasted potatoes, pumpkin and kumara and a plate of crunchy, steamed cucumber batons tossed in butter and mint.

Serves 8.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
oooooh - venison!

I'm trying to do two things this month - one with osterich and one with venison...

but photography is definitely going to have to be part of it!