Quantcast

Rackamendations?

Btyler311

Chimp
Aug 8, 2004
I have a Thule Rack on top of my Civic. Its used for two 17 foot sea kayaks so its stout and I can grab it with two hands and rock my whole car around.

So I am quite happy with that but I need a bike holder to go on it.

I'm looking to drop <100.00 on it and am thinking either something like a Velo Vice or the Rocky Mounts version.

Any opinions? I have a Haro ICS 5.0 hardtail with a Duke XC fork. No disk brakes though never know about future upgrades. I don't mind poppin off the front wheel to save the money on a simpler style rack.

Thnx,

Ty

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sportworks rocks the hizzle. Not sure what they cost though. Also the King Cobra is sweet, but a little more than you are looking to spend. As far as I know Yakima and Sportworks stuff mounts up fine to Thule rails.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I also like my Sportworks. But before that, I had Thule bigmounts (I didn't want to have to remove the front wheel all the time). I liked them - solid, worked well, held up well. I would think other thule carriers would work well/last long too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sportworks bob ratchet is the way to go for roof racks :thumb:

Btyler311

Chimp
Aug 8, 2004
Thanx,

I never heard of the Sportworks gear, I'll check those out.

As for the big mouth style racks they are more cash and bigger and I would like to leave my rack on car if I can. A big hunk of gear on the top of my car kills my mileage on my 78 mile a day commute. I'm seriously thinking of adding the fairing to my rack for that too. Anyone have experience with checking the mph difference with and with out?

Ty

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Btyler311 said:
Anyone have experience with checking the mph difference with and with out?
Nothing formal or measured... but I don't think it would do much. I run mine on my truck, but I've got waaaay more gear on top than you do, so it's not about MPG. Anyways... most thule stuff seems to stick up above the fairing, so I doubt it would do much for MPG. Sometimes they do help with wind noise though, which is why I have mine.

Btyler311

Chimp
Aug 8, 2004
Thanx JacksonPT, I guess I'll bag it then, the noise isn't an issue unless I open my sunroof, and then I just crank up the stereo.

Ty

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've got a velo vice and I'm less than impressed with it, I don't hate it but there isn't anything impressive about it. Don't buy the marketing jargon saying you have to buy a more expensive mount if you have disc brakes, I've used 2 different forks with 2 different disc brakes and never had any clearance issues, of course now I have a 20mm axle so I have to use a fork up adaptor which gives tons of clearance. The thing I really don't like about the Velo Vice is that it's all glass filled plastic, every last part except for the axle, after a couple of years the plastic has started to relax a little and now the bike will sway side to side slightly.