Quantcast

Racks for a pickup

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well I got my car and I'm going to be driving to a few races and alot of traveling with my bikes and a few friend... What is the best way in a truck? Should I invest in a rack for the bed? Hang the front wheel and fork over the tail gate with a rug over the tailgate? Or just stack them upside down like sardines in the bed? If you think I should use a rack which kind should I try to get? Thanks
Price

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I've always used the moto tie down method. Has never failed yet. Plus like Stone said they are around $8-10 each or you can always get a set of 4 for around $25. They'll last a lifetime as long as you don't loose them or somehow cut them.

The Insta-gater is around $100 each. So 3 bikes, you'll need 3 of them. If you have a toolbox in the back of a bed (the aluminum/plastic) then some XC bikes will fit anyways, DH rigs don't fit stright on. You have to have the tailgate down anyways. I thought about getting the toolboxes that sit on the sides of the bed so you reclaim that lost space back so you CAN fit your bikes in with the tailgate up. Hell I lost around 12" or so of my bed length due to the dumb toolbox. I'd always want one though to carry fluids in, stuff you don't want people to get to etc.......

If it's a fullsize you have some more options than per say a small sized truck bed. They're bikes, not dirtbikes so you should be able to fit a few in a mini truck with no problems and add even more to a fullsize.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I found a bike rack that would go out in front of a store at a flea market. Holds 3 bikes....GOOD! cheap too

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
chicodude01 said:

Works good. Tie 'em down with some tow straps and your good to go
The PVC rack I mentioned does the exact same thing....and with DH bikes I don't even have to use straps.

My XC bike has 2.1-2.3 tires and will move around a little but never falls over. I would use some strap for those if I hade more than one. And I can pullit out and use it on the ground at a race. It is light and I can break it down to fit under a couch....for you college kids....or other space concious people.

Looks like the center wheel chock is busted? :think: Or is that jsut the picture?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
RhinofromWA said:
Looks like the center wheel chock is busted? :think: Or is that jsut the picture?

Yea, I cut out the middle part, it was catching on my rotor and bending it, so I cut it open.

I was gonna do the pvc thing, but This seemed to be a more durable solution.

Steel > PVC

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
The Insta-Gater will not work if you have a short bed, which sucked for me since I have a Dakota Quad. I went the cheap route instead and bought a 2x12 and bolted Yakima QR's to it, you can then mount another 2x12 up front to mount the third bike against the cab. I would second the tie down route though because you don't have to remove the front wheel. I have a shell so I have to take off the front wheel and mount a Fork up on the DH and 20mm front fork bikes.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Dont tie them down too hard! If you have 2 bikes use the moto style, If you have 3 or more do one moto style then lean the rest up on the one hooked up then bungie them!