Quantcast

Racks?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm using Yakima roof racks with a High Roller (for my bike) and Raptor (for the wifey) mount.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
The Saris is alright, a buddy of mine has one and it seems a little flimsy to me. If I was spending that much on a rack I think I'd look a little closer at the thule.

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
I thought this was gonna be about something completely different...

I have the sportswork rack, and it's beefy and solid. 2 30+ lbs bikes are stable over bumps and on the thruway.

I think they became some other company nowadays, but not sure.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
I have a saris cycle on. I was a big fan at first(they were the first of the easy on hitch racks.

But after several trips back to the shop to have the plastic parts replaced I'm not so happy. Especially in the Northeast, the salt in the winter has burned through the plastic parts.Which Saris said they would send and either my shop kept forgetting to call or Saris kept forgetting to send.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I have a Saris Cycle On rack. While it is quick to load it does not fair well if you use it daily. A tray has cracked and I have had to mess with the arms to get them to work several times. I live in the Northeast and did use the rack year round. I am looking for a replacement now.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
My teammate Steve has a Saris Cycle On with the additional 2 bike attachment. He's lugged 4-40lb. DH bikes up and down the east coast with it with no issues. I would suggest, as with all hitch mount racks, to get/use a 2" receiver if possible.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
well i broke down and bought the Saris Cycle-on with the 4 bike extension.. My LBS gave me a slammin deal ($400). I used it today and it worked liked a charm . I was a little nervous at first thinking about that the arm was the only thing really holding the bike down

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
This is my setup, but I sometimes have to take wire coat hangers and "tie" the bikes together since nobody wants a freeway "incident".

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I am starting to like Yakima less and less. I have a roof rack with 2 viper fork mount trays and one king cobra upright. The rack went together great and fits the car (VW GTI) really well. That's not the problem. The first problem was with the wheel forks to carry wheels outside of the car for the fork mount trays. Since they are a plastic clamp on a plastic coated bar they would not stay up with a wheel in them. They just rolled onto the roof of the car. I tried friction tape, old tubes.... nothing worked. I called Yakima and they said if I tightened them all the way there was nothing they could do to help me.

Strike one.

Strike two is with my king cobra tray. I had to exchange it for a new one after about a year and a half of on and off use. (maybe 2 weekends a month) The clamps that select the wheel size in front had become loose. I would clamp it in the 26" wheel size, tighten everything down, start driving, and my bike was REALLY loose. I stopped and the clamps had just slid to a larger diameter wheel size. I was not happy.....

Strike three and the rack gets mailed with the car (the trans is pissing me off) to some country that I won't visit ever....

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I am using a roof rack with two Yakima mounts and a Rocky Mount as well. When the bikes number more than three, I can attach the 3-bike Saris Bones onto the rear as well.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
well i broke down and bought the Saris Cycle-on with the 4 bike extension.. My LBS gave me a slammin deal ($400). I used it today and it worked liked a charm . I was a little nervous at first thinking about that the arm was the only thing really holding the bike down
I think you should break it in with a nice road trip to Stewart :thumb: