Quantcast

Rad! Ned Overend to race Mt. Washington Hillclimb

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
Obviously you know nothing of Mt Washington weather conditions.
I do, thank you very much. Highest recorded wind speed on earth, cold, etc.
12% grade PLUS weather.
Oh yeah - this would be tough. 48f & 8mph winds? :rolleyes:

Conditions as of Thursday, August 18, 2:49 p.m. est
Outside Air
Temperature Windspeed 15 Minute
Gust Wind
Direction Wind
Chill
48.1°F 8 MPH 9 MPH 302° (NW) 44°F

:blah:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
I do, thank you very much. Highest recorded wind speed on earth, cold, etc.

Oh yeah - this would be tough. 48f & 8mph winds? :rolleyes:

Conditions as of Thursday, August 18, 2:49 p.m. est
Outside Air
Temperature Windspeed 15 Minute
Gust Wind
Direction Wind
Chill
48.1°F 8 MPH 9 MPH 302° (NW) 44°F

:blah:
Then go ride in it and tell us how it really is. Oh yeah, you don't ride. :blah:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
SkaredShtles said:
I don't race.

And I don't do organized rides.

:p

Then you have no clue, do ya?

"Home of the World's Worst Weather"

Mount Washington presents the most severe combinations of wind, cold, icing and storminess available anywhere in the world where people are on hand to take measurements. The summit lies in the path of the principal storm tracks and air mass routes affecting the northeastern United States, and it is, because of its elevation, biologically and ecologically similar to the subarctic zone.

Elevation: 6,288 feet
Latitude: 44° 16' N
Longitude: 71° 18' W
Highest wind (world record, April 12, 1934): 231 MPH
Average wind velocity for the year: 35.3 MPH
Lowest temperature (state record, January 1934): -47°F
Highest temperature (August 1975, June 2003): 72°F
Average temperature for the year: 26.5°F
Average annual snowfall: 256 inches
Maximum snowfall in a season (1968-69): 566.4 inches
Maximum snowfall in a calendar year (1969) 495.2 inches
Winds exceed hurricane force (75 MPH) on an average of 104 days a year
The summit is in the clouds about 60% of the time
Fog is reported (for at least part of the day) over 300 days a year

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
douglas said:
Then you have no clue, do ya?

"Home of the World's Worst Weather"

Mount Washington presents the most severe combinations of wind, cold, icing and storminess available anywhere in the world where people are on hand to take measurements. The summit lies in the path of the principal storm tracks and air mass routes affecting the northeastern United States, and it is, because of its elevation, biologically and ecologically similar to the subarctic zone.

Ay. There's the rub..... ;)

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
narlus said:
some dude climbed it via wheelchair recently.

well done!
I believe it took him about 14 hours! That my friends is determination. On another note, my boss will be competing in the climb for the Tyler Hamilton Foundation, and his goal is to break 1:15. :dead: I give a huge :thumb: to anybody who considers anything like this.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
douglas said:
dude, are you drunk....or f'd up on crack? cause if this you not f'd up, you have serious problems

and thats just sad
Hypoxia.... i think all people from coloradio suffer from that.

Really there's something to be said for living at or near sea level and riding in the 5 to 7 thousand feet range. Everytime i start a ride from that elevation i have to back off a bit and find a rythym. When you're not used to it from living up there to start it's actually a challenge. What is the lowest starting elevation in Colaradio 10,000 feet?

That's weird how that area is so subject to such extreme adverse conditions only at 6000 feet though. i mean it's very common for the mountains around here to be very unpredictable but to not that extreme. 235 mile per hour winds! crap on that......

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Skookum said:
That's weird how that area is so subject to such extreme adverse conditions only at 6000 feet though. i mean it's very common for the mountains around here to be very unpredictable but to not that extreme. 235 mile per hour winds! crap on that......
That's part of the biggest problem with people who climb / hike up onto Mt. Washington. Every year they have to go get people off the mountain who get stuck due to being unprepared for the unique climate. During the year it can be nice and sunny at all of the base trailheads, so people attempt to "hike" to the summit in shorts and a t-shirt and little or no provisions. The wather up top can and does change very quickly, at any time. The last time I went up to the top 2 years ago, there was ice on the puddles at the summit in August.