Quantcast

Radio Alternative

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I need one.
The last radio station that I listened to here in ATL has turned into a horrible mess. The only thing I will listen to is the 80/punk/newwave hour.

So where can I look for good new music.
Sorry no news or political radio here.

5150Kon

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
yea, but dont buy two, buy the kits u need and transfer the unit around, i baught the sirius kenwood unit, car kit and home kit, once i get my othe car running ill buy a car kit for that too. and just use te one unit

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
plenty of stations on the net bro. or just build one on Launch. Watching the Vid for : Ministry - Just One Fix - as I type

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
you can always got a cd player that will read MP3 cd's, then just burn the ones you have.

another option would be to record streaming audio from an internet station, then burn that file to a cd. I've done that before... And if you want to get really creative, you can always make a cut at each song, so when you play the cd it won't be one long track. and blank cd's arre what, $.25?! I've made several of those cd's and they're fine...

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Getting the CD/MP3 player in our miata would be no probelm. But my protege 5 has a 6 disc in dash that I would hate to get rid of. Thats why we are thinking XM. That or start recording alot of stramed radio.

Whats the best way to record? Will it automatically seperate the songs out?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Originally posted by CrAckErKorEan
Getting the CD/MP3 player in our miata would be no probelm. But my protege 5 has a 6 disc in dash that I would hate to get rid of. Thats why we are thinking XM. That or start recording alot of stramed radio.

Whats the best way to record? Will it automatically seperate the songs out?
What year is the Protege 5? It "might" (may have to check w/ dealer) have an auxiliary input so that you could easily hook up an mp3-reading cd player or an ipod. Someone stole the antenna off my truck a long time ago and rather than spend the $5 to replace it, I bought an ipod and haven't been happier. The only bad thing is that I'll never have enough time to d/l enough music to fill it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by MtnBikerNJ

another option would be to record streaming audio from an internet station, then burn that file to a cd. I've done that before...

we do this all the time. i dont know what kind of music cracker likes but wefunk.com has all their shows archived and you can download them. they have funk and hip hop. its really good.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Satellite Radio Baby....

Plug and Play units pop in and out of your car and into the home stereo or boom box. About $10 per month. $200 gets you a PNP receiver a cradle for home and one for your car.

Sirius has free web streaming for subscribers, so you don't have to deal with one for work (assuming you have high speed internet)

I also subscribe to muscmatch via the web. Cheap and I can pick the artists, though the tracks are random.

F^ck Clear Channel and their ilk.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
So the question now is XM or Sirius better? Whos gonna be around. Can I use a sirius reciver for XM or vice versa? Just curious.
www.xmorsirius.com
http://www.13donuts.com/sat-rad.htm the 13donuts review was very good, but is no longer up. Anyone know how to pull an archive for that?

The receivers are not interchangeable. Check out the program guides at their websites. I chose Sirius because my pricing included web streaming and they don't have commercials like XM. Though I'm hearing that XM has cut back on commercials.

I don't really think there's a big difference between the two. Both are growing in subscribers and as long as commercial radio remains crap I expect both companies to be up and running for years to come.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I think I will have to choose Sirius because it has a dog logo and I like dogs.
Both seem to offer pretty much the same thing. I guess I will have to try them out first. Its looking like a good alternative and with a 10 day road trip looming this would be a good thing.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I think I will have to choose Sirius because it has a dog logo and I like dogs.
Both seem to offer pretty much the same thing. I guess I will have to try them out first. Its looking like a good alternative and with a 10 day road trip looming this would be a good thing.
That's as good of reason as any. IMHO you won't go wrong with either. Get it done before the road trip!

5150Kon

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
i have the kenwood i liked it mainly cause of the coloring, matched the rest of my stereo, but i love it, works great.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
iPod. its the only way to travel. yea after I record the streams thats where mine end up... i just usually use shoutcast or the built in itunes tuner (i think its based on kerbango). no, it doesn't automatically break into songs when you record the streams.

yea i love my ipod. had one since they first came out. then I got a 40 gig for xmas and its hard to fill (35 gigs is a LOT of music)

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I ended up getting Sirius. I have had it for about three weeks and I absolutely love it. There is nothing better. Right now we only have one reciver but I will be getting another one. And something else that made me choose Sirius is they stream on the net also. So at work I dont have to bring in my reicver I just stream. Its the greatest. I just canceled my netflix because of school so this replaces it.

Thanks for the help.

BTW I got the clarion unit