Quantcast

Rain Forest Ridin...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
West Fork Humptulips

What started out as full ride dwindled down to 1. Not that i mind, no in fact i'm glad nobody else showed for the ride. An exploratory adventure that most would find a botched ride, i found to be a tranquil solo adventure in discovery.

The threat of rain was enough to scare away the group, and in this instance i can't say i really blame them. The entire West end of the Olympic Mountain Range is a huge wall just asking to get douched by any ole cloud that rolls off the Pacific. So recline the seat, listen to some Gorillaz and chill as it pours on my windshield.

Nothing funner to read right before you jump in the quiet forest alone. i'm glad i read it though because before i was under the false presumption that if you encounter a cougar you are to pour cod liver oil on yourself, turn and flee, and scream like a little girl.

Well after an hour and a half we have sun! Time to get out of the shell.

i knew very little about this trail, but i made some assumptions that the trail would be very scenic and beautiful. It surpassed my expectations and i was very impressed with the aesthetic beauty of this diverse forest.

Tree's growing on a fell old growth.

The trail after the first river crossing gets quite primitive. Indeed the trail was hard to pick up from each side of the river til i noticed somebody had flagged branches above the tree's with flourescent ribbon. When you're tracking trail i suppose you don't look for the obvious first.

Each crossing was difficult the rocks were well rounded and slippery, the river current deceivingly swift. i would only submerge to thigh high for safety and it was tricky to find the correct safe path across. Unfortunately i couldn't manage my way across the third crossing safely so i decided to turn back.

3 miles actually took quite a bit of time since i was busy taking pictures, clearing deadfall, and immersed in the whole exploration aspect of a new to me trail. But only a few hours had passed and i wanted to see more so i decided to shoot into the trail from Pete's Creek about 7 miles up the road.

Again i'm blown away by the awesome beauty of the trail.

Awesome!:)

Well unfortunately the river bested me again but i was able to squeeze out a few more miles and ultimately satisfy my curiosity of this rarely used trail. The question i had of it is in my opinion worth coming back for after the river recedes in a month give or take, is definately yes.

And now a Skookie public service announcement brought to you by Psilosybin. Remember kids, after scarfing down a bag of mushrooms make sure you wait a full half hour before going swimming.

Did you spot the 3 hidden links?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Awesome riding. Everytime I see your pics I remember that thread about the monkey that you want to go ride with and you were on everyone's list. I would love to make it up to Washington some time.

Nice job knocking over the camera!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
DRB said:
No I didn't spot them?
Look harder.:)

Morryjg said:
Awesome riding. Everytime I see your pics I remember that thread about the monkey that you want to go ride with and you were on everyone's list. I would love to make it up to Washington some time.
Yah and i still have a hard time getting people around here to go out on rides go figure.:rolleyes: Everybody's all talk, cept MikeD...
But all the same if you find yourself in the area lemme know and i'll hook you up.

Morryjg said:
Nice job knocking over the camera!
Congratulations, you have a keen eye.:D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I found one. nice.

But did read the cougar warning in its entirety.

Do you think that when you raise your arms and wave them as the plaque suggests, that the cougar goes "okay I'll pick you since you appear to be volunteering."

Or do you think that the people who came up with the plaque want you to get eaten? Its says no sudden or quick movements but raise your arms and wave.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Skookum said:
Look harder.:)

Yah and i still have a hard time getting people around here to go out on rides go figure.:rolleyes: Everybody's all talk, cept MikeD...
But all the same if you find yourself in the area lemme know and i'll hook you up.

Congratulations, you have a keen eye.:D
Now that's just not true. I've shown up for every dry side ride....:nopity:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
DRB said:
I found one. nice.
Only one? haha, well that's still better than most i think.

DRB said:
Do you think that when you raise your arms and wave them as the plaque suggests, that the cougar goes "okay I'll pick you since you appear to be volunteering."

Or do you think that the people who came up with the plaque want you to get eaten? Its says no sudden or quick movements but raise your arms and wave.
Haha...

The whole principle behind it raising your arms and waving them is to increase your size. Lifting a mt. bike over your head will make you look huge to an any animal. Most animals have no clue you're a human when you're on a mt. bike in the first place which i'm reminded constantly when i encounter horses and their people.

So essentially any predator doesn't want to get hurt, they just want food, so a bluff is a pretty good defense. And in most cases an encounter is just a chance encounter and everything on the bulliten is true.

But what the sign doesn't say is that Cougar will attack in stealth trying to rip your jugular out of your neck so there will be no fight. In other words if you're going to be attacked you'll never see it coming. That'd be a great sign to add that to the text followed by have a great recreational experience!:thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
geargrrl said:
Now that's just not true. I've shown up for every dry side ride....:nopity:
Yah well i often lay it on a little thick.;)

Better beat the drums for the Kettle Crest ride, looks like i've got 15 riders showing up for Sat/Sun and 11 for Mon. And i still don't have a tent!:rofl:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No one ever believes me when I say September. :monkey: Or when I say I'll check it out for you and let you know what I find. ??? Anyhow that is my stomping ground and the back way way into the Quinualt valley via Col. Bob trail. Sorry I missed you in Hoquiam.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
No one ever believes me when I say September. :monkey:
September Shmeptember... That trail will be good in a month after the snow melts off the peaks. i'll be back and next time you're comin with, get out your hip waders...:)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
A hint for the many who are not as observant (or just dont have alot of time on thier hands).

Left click at the bottom of my first post. Drag your mouse up a bit.