Quantcast

Rain jacket suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CBJ, Dec 28, 2012.

1. CBJ

CBJ Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    92 / 1,184

Please register to disable this ad.

2. HardtailHack

HardtailHack used an iron once

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 131
    Damn that thing comes in some colours, looks alright though.

For me I always go for a dropped tail, and I really like having three drawstrings on the hood, probably sounds stupid but I like two at the back, one vertical and one horizontal. My current jacket only has one drawstring and it bunches on the back of your head instead of tucking in to the vacant neck area.

I know it's petty but I spent a bit on a jacket so I like it to be spot on, I also really like velcro and elastic at the cuffs, my last jacket had it current one doesn't and checking your watch in the rain as a bit of a pain.

Also I have a jacket that has a shiny waterproof membrane inside and if you are trail building and get a sweat on it sticks to you and stops you from moving freely.

I have a Macpac jacket but I think they are only available in Oz and NZ, I did try a Mammut(?) and it was awesome but the only one they had didn't have a dropped tail.

3. dan-o

dan-o Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    130 / 778
    I've got a Rain Shadow, which is very similar performance-wise, and I like it.
    The exterior wets-out in extended exposure but I always stay dry.
    It was 40* and pouring yesterday and it worked great with just a fleece underneath despite my being outside all day.

4. auntesther

auntesther Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The Torrentshell is your basic WPB jacket...material in terms of waterproofing and breatability is the same thing as almost every company out there.
    As you said you are skinny, check out the Stoic Vaporshell at backcountry.com. Very athletic cut and the material is alot better in terms of feel ( not the sitcky liner the Torrentshell uses)and far more breathable than the Torrentshell...and they can be had pretty cheap. Only drawback is no hand pockets.
    Also check out theclymb.com. They frequently have awesome deals on very high end hardshells from alot of different companies.

5. stoney

stoney Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde

Rep/Likes:
    118 / 1,154
    Mtn hardwear effusion jacket. We got my dad one for Xmas. Super light, breathable, and it doesn't have the inside material that sticks to you when you sweat.

6. CBJ

CBJ Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    92 / 1,184
    Gotta have hand pockets for the cold days.

7. kidwithbike

kidwithbike Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Claus, I have had that Patagonia for around a year. Its quite nice, I cant find any specific faults with it, so I could recommend it. there are likely many comparable jackets out there though, so I would try a bunch on.
    I believe I have a Large which fits me well, you know my dimensions... ;)

8. Heidi

Heidi Der hund ist laut und braun

Rep/Likes:
    25 / 368
    What is this rain you speak of?

9. bean

bean Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I prefer the durability of 3 layer shells over 2.5 layer ones. They tend to be quite a bit more expensive though.

10. AngryMetalsmith

AngryMetalsmith Business is good, thanks for asking

Rep/Likes:
    316 / 1,939
    Got one of these for Christmas:

Marmot Precip

Haven't worn it yet, but it's light and can be packed down small enough to fit in a hydration pack. It does fit a wee bit loose as it was made to fit over a fleecy. Has front pockets and pit zips. Should be good for spring and summer use.

#10 -   Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  11. eric strt6

eric strt6 Resident Curmudgeon

Rep/Likes:
    236 / 3,225
    That is my go to rain jacket in all seasons. It fits over most fleece or down, the hood is nicely adjustable, long in the tail which keeps you dry when bent over while wearing rain pants. One of the keys points of any functional rain jacket is high hand pockets, low pockets let the water run down the arm and into the pocket and onto your hands, high chest pockets let the water drip off the elbow keeping the hands warm and dry. One issue with the marmot precip is that you need to keep the outer shell treated with the proper water repellent so that you don't get a reverse vapor flow through the membrane because the outer nylon is saturated.

#11 -   Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  12. HAB

HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep/Likes:
    81 / 803
    I have a similar Marmot (forget the model) but it's awesome. Highly recommended.

13. DaveW

DaveW Space Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    102 / 464
  14. dexter

dexter Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 29
    upgrade from the torrentshell to the the supercell. I have both, supercell is gore and lighter plus has a dropped hem. Downsize- i wear a medium in all patagonia, but a small supercell. I am biased though, seeing as how I am a rep for them....

15. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 4
    I worked for both Mountain Hardwear and Marmot. Of the offerings for basic rain shells, , the Precip always stood out to me. Decent price, great fit, good quality.

#15 -   Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  16. kidwithbike

kidwithbike Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    My marmot Precip's hood disintegrated; the inner rubbery waterproof coating started peeling and thus completely lost it's water repellency.
    I read many reviews to similar effect, even on the Marmot website. Hopefully they have since rememdied this manufactorers defect.
    I filled out a warranty form and was about to send it in when I was given the patagonia. Though I have a replacement, I still should send it back.

17. kidwithbike

kidwithbike Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    lest you jump to conclusions for the cause of hood failure,

though I live in New Jersey, I am not a guido, I do not have Hair gel encrusted spikes or blowout like Yuroshek of the guy from "my new Haircut"

18. CBJ

CBJ Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    92 / 1,184
    Is Hoboken really New Jersey anyway?

19. maddog17

maddog17 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 83
    i was going to say Mtn Hardware as well. i've got their stuff and love it

20. eric strt6

Rep/Likes:
    236 / 3,225

Thats why you buy from REI. No questions asked 100% satisfaction guarantee. Membrane de-laminates 4 years - 9 years from purchase no matter, they take it back

21. daisycutter

daisycutter Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 31
    Gotta agree. I bought REI's top of the line rain jacket last year and I am amazed with their EVENT fabric. It's water proof and breathes really well. The fit is great. My only complaint is the hood is huge, doesn't work well in windy weather.

22. HardtailHack

HardtailHack used an iron once

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 131

Event is just a material made by GE, a bunch of companies use it, but yeah it does seem to work well.

23. AngryMetalsmith

Rep/Likes:
    316 / 1,939
    Well, like a dumb ass I left my wind breaker at work but had the Precip with me for tonights 35° ride. Bueno, jacket is a great wind barrier and fits well. Fortunately I was unable to test water repellence. Fak it was cold.

24. Jeremy R

Jeremy R <b>x</b>

Rep/Likes:
    43 / 372
    I have a Mountain Hardware rain jacket that is a few years old and it has been great. I think it was called the Cohesion.

Also, is there any mundane activity on earth that eric strt6 does not have a picture of himself doing? ;)

25. eric strt6

Rep/Likes:
    236 / 3,225

Yes, but since I know it annoys the hell out of folks here and breaks up the boredom I am more than willing to grab a camera and create one. :banana:

26. AngryMetalsmith

Rep/Likes:
    316 / 1,939

27. bizutch

bizutch Delicate CUSTOM flower

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 8
    You mean to tell me you aren't wearing your Wal-Mark special I got for us both all those years ago at Snowshoe? That was our thing man. You, me...buddies for life! Now I gotta go buy some Cohesion jacket to feel close to you? This just sucks.

#27 -   Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  28. mattmatt86

mattmatt86 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 10
    I have a Helly Hansen rain jacket, it's been great so far. It's pretty light and thin, has a bunch of zipper pockets, has vent thingys in the armpits so you can get more ventilation if you want.

I'm pretty sure this is the model
    Vancover Jacket

29. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    383 / 3,693
    last summer when i was in maine i got an LL Bean rain jacket on clearance for like $40. win.

30. worship_mud

worship_mud Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 2
    i got this more bike specific Gore Bike Wear Alp-X Jacket as a BD gifta few years back, which is a tiny bit more expensive, but it is really good. and you can pack it into one of it's pocket, which is a bonus too. but no pocket's for hands... aaah, and i almost forgot: i had to buy the hood extra for 30,-&#8364;! ;-)

but to be honest, i'd never ever buy something like this, much too expensive, every rainjacket i bought so far had only to be packable and watertight, nothing more... so i actually don't recommend the jacket i just kind of recommended....

31. CrabJoe StretchPants

CrabJoe StretchPants Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick

Rep/Likes:
    89 / 421
    I have the predecessor of this for cold, rainy weather.

For warm weather and rain I have the BC-100 (which apparently they don't make anymore, but is similar to this)

#31 -   Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012