Quantcast

Rain jacket suggestions?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Damn that thing comes in some colours, looks alright though.

For me I always go for a dropped tail, and I really like having three drawstrings on the hood, probably sounds stupid but I like two at the back, one vertical and one horizontal. My current jacket only has one drawstring and it bunches on the back of your head instead of tucking in to the vacant neck area.

I know it's petty but I spent a bit on a jacket so I like it to be spot on, I also really like velcro and elastic at the cuffs, my last jacket had it current one doesn't and checking your watch in the rain as a bit of a pain.

Also I have a jacket that has a shiny waterproof membrane inside and if you are trail building and get a sweat on it sticks to you and stops you from moving freely.

I have a Macpac jacket but I think they are only available in Oz and NZ, I did try a Mammut(?) and it was awesome but the only one they had didn't have a dropped tail.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I've got a Rain Shadow, which is very similar performance-wise, and I like it.
The exterior wets-out in extended exposure but I always stay dry.
It was 40* and pouring yesterday and it worked great with just a fleece underneath despite my being outside all day.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
The Torrentshell is your basic WPB jacket...material in terms of waterproofing and breatability is the same thing as almost every company out there.
As you said you are skinny, check out the Stoic Vaporshell at backcountry.com. Very athletic cut and the material is alot better in terms of feel ( not the sitcky liner the Torrentshell uses)and far more breathable than the Torrentshell...and they can be had pretty cheap. Only drawback is no hand pockets.
Also check out theclymb.com. They frequently have awesome deals on very high end hardshells from alot of different companies.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mtn hardwear effusion jacket. We got my dad one for Xmas. Super light, breathable, and it doesn't have the inside material that sticks to you when you sweat.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Torrentshell is your basic WPB jacket...material in terms of waterproofing and breatability is the same thing as almost every company out there.
As you said you are skinny, check out the Stoic Vaporshell at backcountry.com. Very athletic cut and the material is alot better in terms of feel ( not the sitcky liner the Torrentshell uses)and far more breathable than the Torrentshell...and they can be had pretty cheap. Only drawback is no hand pockets.
Also check out theclymb.com. They frequently have awesome deals on very high end hardshells from alot of different companies.
Gotta have hand pockets for the cold days.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
Claus, I have had that Patagonia for around a year. Its quite nice, I cant find any specific faults with it, so I could recommend it. there are likely many comparable jackets out there though, so I would try a bunch on.
I believe I have a Large which fits me well, you know my dimensions... ;)

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I prefer the durability of 3 layer shells over 2.5 layer ones. They tend to be quite a bit more expensive though.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Got one of these for Christmas:

Marmot Precip

Haven't worn it yet, but it's light and can be packed down small enough to fit in a hydration pack. It does fit a wee bit loose as it was made to fit over a fleecy. Has front pockets and pit zips. Should be good for spring and summer use.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Got one of these for Christmas:

Marmot Precip

Haven't worn it yet, but it's light and can be packed down small enough to fit in a hydration pack. It does fit a wee bit loose as it was made to fit over a fleecy. Has front pockets and pit zips. Should be good for spring and summer use.
That is my go to rain jacket in all seasons. It fits over most fleece or down, the hood is nicely adjustable, long in the tail which keeps you dry when bent over while wearing rain pants. One of the keys points of any functional rain jacket is high hand pockets, low pockets let the water run down the arm and into the pocket and onto your hands, high chest pockets let the water drip off the elbow keeping the hands warm and dry. One issue with the marmot precip is that you need to keep the outer shell treated with the proper water repellent so that you don't get a reverse vapor flow through the membrane because the outer nylon is saturated.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have a similar Marmot (forget the model) but it's awesome. Highly recommended.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
upgrade from the torrentshell to the the supercell. I have both, supercell is gore and lighter plus has a dropped hem. Downsize- i wear a medium in all patagonia, but a small supercell. I am biased though, seeing as how I am a rep for them....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I worked for both Mountain Hardwear and Marmot. Of the offerings for basic rain shells, , the Precip always stood out to me. Decent price, great fit, good quality.

Last edited:

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
My marmot Precip's hood disintegrated; the inner rubbery waterproof coating started peeling and thus completely lost it's water repellency.
I read many reviews to similar effect, even on the Marmot website. Hopefully they have since rememdied this manufactorers defect.
I filled out a warranty form and was about to send it in when I was given the patagonia. Though I have a replacement, I still should send it back.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
lest you jump to conclusions for the cause of hood failure,

though I live in New Jersey, I am not a guido, I do not have Hair gel encrusted spikes or blowout like Yuroshek of the guy from "my new Haircut"

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
My marmot Precip's hood disintegrated; the inner rubbery waterproof coating started peeling and thus completely lost it's water repellency.
I read many reviews to similar effect, even on the Marmot website. Hopefully they have since rememdied this manufactorers defect.
I filled out a warranty form and was about to send it in when I was given the patagonia. Though I have a replacement, I still should send it back.

Thats why you buy from REI. No questions asked 100% satisfaction guarantee. Membrane de-laminates 4 years - 9 years from purchase no matter, they take it back

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Thats why you buy from REI. No questions asked 100% satisfaction guarantee. Membrane de-laminates 4 years - 9 years from purchase no matter, they take it back
Gotta agree. I bought REI's top of the line rain jacket last year and I am amazed with their EVENT fabric. It's water proof and breathes really well. The fit is great. My only complaint is the hood is huge, doesn't work well in windy weather.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Gotta agree. I bought REI's top of the line rain jacket last year and I am amazed with their EVENT fabric. It's water proof and breathes really well. The fit is great. My only complaint is the hood is huge, doesn't work well in windy weather.

Event is just a material made by GE, a bunch of companies use it, but yeah it does seem to work well.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Well, like a dumb ass I left my wind breaker at work but had the Precip with me for tonights 35° ride. Bueno, jacket is a great wind barrier and fits well. Fortunately I was unable to test water repellence. Fak it was cold.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have a Mountain Hardware rain jacket that is a few years old and it has been great. I think it was called the Cohesion.

Also, is there any mundane activity on earth that eric strt6 does not have a picture of himself doing? ;)

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I have a Mountain Hardware rain jacket that is a few years old and it has been great. I think it was called the Cohesion.

Also, is there any mundane activity on earth that eric strt6 does not have a picture of himself doing? ;)

Yes, but since I know it annoys the hell out of folks here and breaks up the boredom I am more than willing to grab a camera and create one. :banana:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

You mean to tell me you aren't wearing your Wal-Mark special I got for us both all those years ago at Snowshoe? That was our thing man. You, me...buddies for life! Now I gotta go buy some Cohesion jacket to feel close to you? This just sucks.

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i got this more bike specific Gore Bike Wear Alp-X Jacket as a BD gifta few years back, which is a tiny bit more expensive, but it is really good. and you can pack it into one of it's pocket, which is a bonus too. but no pocket's for hands... aaah, and i almost forgot: i had to buy the hood extra for 30,-&#8364;! ;-)

but to be honest, i'd never ever buy something like this, much too expensive, every rainjacket i bought so far had only to be packable and watertight, nothing more... so i actually don't recommend the jacket i just kind of recommended....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have the predecessor of this for cold, rainy weather.

For warm weather and rain I have the BC-100 (which apparently they don't make anymore, but is similar to this)

Last edited: