Quantcast

Rainy season tires

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Hey gents,

I'm entering my first winter here up in Washington and I'm starting to realize that unlike NorCal, mud tires are somewhat necessary around here. I'm looking at Wet Screams and Specialized Storm DHs, I know Wet Screams are supposed to be rad but has anyone heard anything about the Specialized?

Cheers,

Zack

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Screams ARE rad for WA. I'd like to try the Storm's but, I have a couple sets of Screams to go through first. The Storm's are $10 more but, I'd say give them a try!

Also, I use Minions F/B for the majority of the year because they don't pack up much and they are great in dry conditions as well. Basically I just leave the Minions on and always make sure to throw the Screams in the truck just in case.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i might have a way of getting the screams for a good deal, we'll see if that pans out, otherwise i might see what i can get the storms for. i also really like minions, but i tried out some of the newer specialized tires, the clutch sx and chunder sx, and they have been a super sick combo for pretty much all of the riding i have done. they have shed mud really well for me, at least the clutch has, but my last couple rides in the wet have been, uh, interesting.

ryanrider

Chimp
Nov 20, 2007
Unless its super sloppy you should only need minions. Screams for regular use is harsh and destructive on the trails anyways. DHFs front and rear seem to be the set up preferred here. Also I'm not sure on this but I remember hearing the sidewalls on the specialized tires aren't too durable..

-Ryan

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
The storms are pretty rad by all accounts. You can't easily get wet screams in north america, so may be an easier run trying to get storms?
what he said... the spec tire line up this year and next is flat out awesome. maxxis has a serious competitor now. (and yes, i know, but please spare the jargon about how maxxis may make speccy's tires).

but for wet?... not sure about the storm. i thought the storm was more of a mud tire. those who know more, correct me if i'm wrong. is that what you meant by wet? i sorta pictured wet roots/rocks, as your question, not so much mud. but either way, i think you cant go wrong with either.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
honestly, i'm not really sure what i need around here. in california, minions always worked for me, but all i know is the clutch sx i was using in california seems to be hurting for traction around here. it has a pretty open tread too. i don't want a tire that'll tear up the trail, but i don't want to sliding all over the place whenever i go out for a ride in the rainy season.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Straight up mud tires can be a bad up here since we have so much wet root and rock.
As long as your running the softest, stickiest tires you can find, it'd hard to wrong with tread pattern.
3C Minions or Highrollers work well. Even ST Mobsters work well if you learn to lean hard.
I've been running the Advantages on my trail bike and they seem pretty good, especially for the weight.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i was actually looking at the conti rain king earlier today, it seems like sick tire. part of it could be that i'm still getting used to the slower, tighter trails around here, but i was all over the place last time i rode and it had rained in the morning.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
nokian, gazzalolddi they do not hold mud, you will never ride another tire once you try them i can only find them on chain reaction they cal them "gazza north shore"

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I live in WA and just picked up some Swamp Things, best tire I've ever owned for mud. You will still slip on roots and rocks sometimes, but I have yet to hear of a tire that won't do that. Also if it is a hard packed trail that is wet go with Minions, the Swamp Things excel in mud, not a wet dirt.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I bought wetscreams last year, only to be slightly disapointed that my minions outdid them in most wet situations around here due to roots, rocks and packed trails. If you have trails to ride where the spikes can sink in (loam, mud) then they work amazingly well... For 90% of the riding here (even wet), I'd say minions win.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
maybe i'll pick up some minions again, it always just killed me how expensive they were and how fast they wore out. i'm considering some swamp things, i need to chat with the guys at fluidride.