Quantcast

Rampage 2013

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
People will make fun of me for this but I am glad it got called before Zink killed himself. That kid is nuts.

Does anyone know what happened to Chubey? I only saw them haul him off. I am not sure if my feed skipped or if they didn't show what happened.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They didn't show chubey's slam when it happened but it ran later when they were killing time.

He hit his landing pretty well but then got caught up in the bushes on the right side of the runout and went down at mach retarded.

There's something not lined up about that stepdown. Him and Gee both got taken out by going too hard right, either in the air or after landing. Chubey twice now.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
People will make fun of me for this but I am glad it got called before Zink killed himself. That kid is nuts.

Does anyone know what happened to Chubey? I only saw them haul him off. I am not sure if my feed skipped or if they didn't show what happened.
I totally agree. This event kinda makes me queasy. I'll keep watching, but man...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
As much as I get turned off by judged events, I really like Rampage. I kinda don't care about the judges pick for winner, it's just so burly that I judge all these dudes as the awesome.

Loved strait's run, clean aggressive control. Loved Lacondaguy's approach, just so stoked that I got stoked. Zink... such a fvcking man. Tmac's run/line was so cool. Ferry, dude has such rad style. Man... all these guys... epic
Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to judge a event like this. Every ranking would be wrong. The top 5 guys all put down absolutely insane runs in their own way. This year seems like it was just off the charts compared to previous years.

Edit:

Anyone know more about the extra EPS foam padding or whatever on Cam Zink's helmet? That seems like an interesting idea for us paranoid people.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bummed it was called, but strait was riding like he owned the place, not bumbling around between big hits, near misses, and cases. Well deserved in my opinion, but I would have loved to see what people were holding back for run two.
would have loved to see some of the second runs; didn't mcgarry say he was going to front flip the canyon gap?

i think strait scored as well as he did because he was the only one to hit that mondo booter at the bottom of the mountain (at least the only person I saw)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I hear that Strait was next man up when the choice to cancel or go was made. Am I being too cynical if I was to suggest that second runs would probably see him slip down the rankings?

On a separate note I'm happy to see Zink didn't die, the constant talk about his wife being about to give birth was making me think of a cop drama where the detective 2 days from retirement gets shot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hear that Strait was next man up when the choice to cancel or go was made. Am I being too cynical if I was to suggest that second runs would probably see him slip down the rankings?
yes.

does anyone else find themselves wondering if wind was a factor in bingelli's crash? especially since (i believe) he took the last run before the wind hold

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
isn't scoring done with the best of two runs, not the combined of two runs?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to judge a event like this. Every ranking would be wrong. The top 5 guys all put down absolutely insane runs in their own way. This year seems like it was just off the charts compared to previous years.
Yup. Do you score based on best trick, style or how well the whole run flowed? All three? How do you weight each one? It's all going to be personal.

It's like snowboarding. I'd rather watch Nicolas Muller doing gigantic full extension Japan airs then Shaun White doing 1280s any day of the week.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah if you take the whole picture of a run lacondeguy definitely got dicked. He was hauling ass down his run with plenty of tricks. Plus that older setup of the sender was just about as big as the new riders' right line, just not as long.

Some of those runs just looked really fun to ride: Tmac, Hopkins, Vink

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Aaaaaand Lacondeguy got robbed again.
this

It's easy to say you don't care about the results as a spectator but I feel for these guys, preparing, hurting themselves and putting their health on the line and then they get plain obviously wrong continuously on them same event. I would be frustrated too...

#rampage was fun, the result... no comment, you make your own opinion

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Zink seemed to bet everything on that one backflip, and then didn't even ride out the rest of his run. I thought that was pretty disappointing from the point of view of what the rampage is about. A lot of the lower-standing guys that didn't ride down all the chutes and cliffs got much lower scores, a lot of the top places like Kyle and a few others got deservedly high scores because they did a little of everything and did it well. As amazing as Zink's one trick was, I don't think he should have gotten as high of a score as he did, especially because he didn't even ride out the rest of his run.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I just had too much fun watching the stream yesterday. Props to Redbull/nbc for the coverage.

On Strait's first run I was blown away how smooth the dude was on that mountain. Made it look like a normal day in the office, nbd. Then Zink dropped in 0_0 At that moment I didnt even care what happened after that. If Hart had big balls in Champery, I dont know what Zink has... 2 moons probably???

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not sure I could have told you my name, much less where I was going to ride after stomping a backflip off that drop.
Yeah, I just don't think that's the point of the competition. I think Kyle, Lacondeguy nailed it, flying all over the mountain, various and numerous tricks, big air, etc.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's not.

That's why he didn't win.

The funny thing is that his run in 2010 with the big three was basically the same thing....one big trick and them some 'holy shlt I'm still alive.....wait where am I going..' for the rest of the run.

I'm just saying I can completely understand it. Especially considering how much time and energy he spent just focusing on just that one move.

I would have just put my bike down in the middle of the run, taken all my clothes off and sprinted to vegas screaming in italian.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
It doesn't matter who won the judging. People are going to remember Zink's backlip, and maybe Kelly's backflip. Straits run was sick, but nothing that's going to make ESPN over those 2 moves.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
That is a good point.
Strait hopping over the other fall-line trails as he traversed the mountain is insane. That and his initial chute where he was crossing apparent lines and using others to catch him and change directions?! Pretty insane riding if you ask me. And the fact that it flowed almost perfectly, the massive no-hander was just a nice icing on the cake.
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331615535140/rampage-2013-kyle-strait-run

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That is a good point.
Strait hopping over the other fall-line trails as he traversed the mountain is insane. That and his initial chute where he was crossing apparent lines and using others to catch him and change directions?! Pretty insane riding if you ask me. And the fact that it flowed almost perfectly, the massive no-hander was just a nice icing on the cake.
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331615535140/rampage-2013-kyle-strait-run
Yes. This.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
One note about the judging: all of the top five runs were amazing. You can debate the merits of each but all of them deserved to be up there. At least none of those spots went to a boring run with 15 mini back flips.

It's too bad Semenuk wasn't able to pull his runs together. I have feeling it would have been pretty wild.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
this

It's easy to say you don't care about the results as a spectator but I feel for these guys, preparing, hurting themselves and putting their health on the line and then they get plain obviously wrong continuously on them same event. I would be frustrated too...

I am a spectator. Are you not?

You know man, on that note, most of the competitors seem way more chill about the judging than a lot of us spectators. They compete in judged events... it's subjective. Pretty sure it wasn't competitors who went interweb ballistic with "Norbs got ROBBED"

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'd say Kyle and Zink both "won". Kyle got the well-deserved trophy and Zink's legend just got a whole lot bigger.

But it is too bad Zink didn't get a second run. With that monster off his back it would have been interesting to see if he could loosen up a bit and put together a more complete run.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I am a spectator. Are you not?

You know man, on that note, most of the competitors seem way more chill about the judging than a lot of us spectators. They compete in judged events... it's subjective. Pretty sure it wasn't competitors who went interweb ballistic with "Norbs got ROBBED"
Andreu got pretty explicit on his fb about the judging...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I thought Strait had the best run. Showed the most control, command, composure, style, smoothness. His traverse was sick and he handled it effortlessly. That drop was like jumping off the end of the earth. Plus he get's Guinea Pig points.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
That is a good point.
I agree completely, his like for me was the most creative and he never looked out of control.