Quantcast

Rampage 2019

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i got the sense (from the johanssen interview) that many first timers are really there to scope it all out and see what it's like to dig and ride there rather than trying all out to win in their first year.

i know it's still janky as shit but i do feel like most have gotten away from the rawness and are basically turning a lot of the mountain into a wide open buffed out slopestyle course

kudos to pb and redbull for their coverage so far-it's been pretty good.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The Rampage is the mother, grand mother and grand-grand mother of every single slopestyle course -with the due respect paid to some of the FEST locations-. Just the amount of serious injuries and riders opting out of a second run -or plainly opting out ot the event- should put it in context.

To me, the current format amounts to "we'll give you this massive layout, with enough vert to make you shit your pants if you dare to look at it from the top, now you go carve your gnarliest slopestyle line off it and send it like there's no tomorrow".

Is it better than just dropping off the various virgin cliffs on that gorge? I'm more inclined to think it's got a lot more in common with our current tastes. And it's a helluva neophit magnet for the TV part.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Rampage is the mother, grand mother and grand-grand mother of every single slopestyle course -with the due respect paid to some of the FEST locations-. Just the amount of serious injuries and riders opting out of a second run -or plainly opting out ot the event- should put it in context.

To me, the current format amounts to "we'll give you this massive layout, with enough vert to make you shit your pants if you dare to look at it from the top, now you go carve your gnarliest slopestyle line off it and send it like there's no tomorrow".

Is it better than just dropping off the various virgin cliffs on that gorge? I'm more inclined to think it's got a lot more in common with our current tastes. And it's a helluva neophit magnet for the TV part.
the first few years they were just bushwhacking down the hillside. sketchy as hell.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup, I remember that. But let's be serious here, the current format suits the viewing habits of the common man a lot more than the one of the early days.
i don't think viewing habits really came into play until recently. the first few years of rampage were just outright dangerous. if they hadn't changed it, we wouldn't still be watching it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i don't think viewing habits really came into play until recently. the first few years of rampage were just outright dangerous. if they hadn't changed it, we wouldn't still be watching it.
On the other hand, the soft dirt "landings" of the first years looked a lot softer. Well, except when they also tomahawked off cliffs.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
current format is sick. the amplitude (bogg's 70'er?!?) absolutely requires takeoffs & landings to be paved to be doable with any sort of safety. that they're hitting huge features back to back - with huge exposure - is insane. i've no interest in revisiting the old days of people exploding all over the place because the lines were so sketchy. that said, it's rad to see a bit of diversity mixed in - ie, brendan's chute is just mental. alas, pretty sure him riding a tech line that very few on the planet would attempt will score fewer points than a big amplitude garden variety trick.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
lol like i could ride any slopestyle course i fucking hate jumping. but look at some of the pics and tell me i'm wrong
I will. Try to land stuff this size without a well-built landing. This has nothing to do with slopestyle. You don't land huge, super difficult drops without good landings and lips. And yeah some people have more natural lines but they still do hard landings and lips for their air features. Please stop behind a bushman hipster who can only accept mountain biking if it's his idealized view of the past with unshaven dudes in too large flannel shirts subsiding on a diet of hucks to flat, career-ending injuries and saving on alcohol by ingesting it analy.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I will. Try to land stuff this size without a well-built landing. This has nothing to do with slopestyle. You don't land huge, super difficult drops without good landings and lips. And yeah some people have more natural lines but they still do hard landings and lips for their air features. Please stop behind a bushman hipster who can only accept mountain biking if it's his idealized view of the past with unshaven dudes in too large flannel shirts subsiding on a diet of hucks to flat, career-ending injuries and saving on alcohol by ingesting it analy.
dude. settle down. read my original post again. i was making an observation, not judging. i love the event. i was just noting something that seemed a bit more pronounced to me this year compared to others.

you're right though. personally, i much prefer watching something like a rave on a world cup downhill course than something like a fest event. that doesn't mean i don't have mad respect for the fest riders though. (heck, those fest guys still rock the flannel. don't wanna know about the butt chugging).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
dude. settle down. read my original post again. i was making an observation, not judging. i love the event. i was just noting something that seemed a bit more pronounced to me this year compared to others.

you're right though. personally, i much prefer watching something like a rave on a world cup downhill course than something like a fest event. that doesn't mean i don't have mad respect for the fest riders though. (heck, those fest guys still rock the flannel. don't wanna know about the butt chugging).
People complain about Slope in Rampage ever since Slopestyle started. Also I'm calm. Just making fun of you joining an online trend.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'll just leave this here:

Do you think it’s easier or harder now?

Randy Spangler: It’s a combination. Easier that they have the tools to make it better but harder since it’s bigger. Back when we were doing it it as harder because we didn’t have the watering capability and it was really like riding in sand and soft, loose dirt. A lot of times we’d land stuff or go to turn and flip over the bars where now having the watering capability lets them progress and move on past what we were able to accomplish.

Josh Bender: Easier.

I'd add that in addition to these dudes going bigger in general, the tech chutes they're hitting these days seem way gnarlier too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It is always gonna be windy there because....

YOU LIVE IN A DESERT!! UNDERSTAND THAT? YOU LIVE IN A F***ing DESERT!! NOTHING GROWS HERE! NOTHING’S GONNA GROW HERE! Come here, you see this? This is sand. You know what it’s gonna be 100 years from now? IT’S GONNA BE SAND!! YOU LIVE IN A F***ing DESERT! We have deserts in America, we just don’t LIVE in them, assholes!”

View attachment 138018
This mirrors my feelings pretty well that year all the tight pant wearing sissy boys demanded the wet, muddy woods in Ft Bill's WC track got crazy paving cemented in to make their jobs easier ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

here's the thing, regardless of what we armchair huckers think, the event has changed and for the better. the biggest thing is that it's now safer for the riders. at the end of the day, without them, this event doesn't happen.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
29ers, exo casings, carbon hoops, 160mm enduro rig at Rampage? I know its 2019 and I'm old as shit, but wow.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hardtails dude... Hardtails! aint no mu fuk'n hipster ;)
Gary you like old stuff, hate fashionable things and you are very vocal about your different from mainstream ideas. So not a hipster? You might as well not claim that Scotts don't like fried food.