Quantcast

Rampage 2021

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I feel like the Rampage is more of an event for EMT enthusiasts than it is for mountain bikers.

Rampage, brought to you by Redbull and PMT halo traction braces.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i'm not math good but the internet tells me that falling from 47 feet with an initial velocity of 0 takes 1.7 seconds and achieves a speed of 37.5 mph. sloped landing or not, no thanks.
Paul Ruff might have something to say about that.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That was pretty wild to watch. I just watched the replay so I could get the runs without all the filler and delays. My 9yo and I called a truce on swearing while it was on TV

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Tricks or not or whatever, I think we just have to accept that Semenuk is one of the GOATS of biking, alongside Minnaar and others.

The view from above of his flat spin is pretty cool; the speed coming into it, the huge gap and landing heavy on the brakes, right into another huge feature. Pretty awesome.

/cool story bro, just making an excuse to post this video

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That was the winning run? Dunno if it was the camera angles, but that sure looked pretty tame compared to other years. Announcers are losing their minds over a tailwhip?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:stupid:
Though I might say the Shark was jumped when Basagoitia broke his back and will never walk (the same as before) again.

At this point, I can only watch the footage of completed runs. I can't deal with watching these guys huck their meat off of cliffs.
But imagine the exposure they are getting.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm conflicted on this whole thing; both the danger and the direction.

I'm finding it hard to watch it live anymore. Things are just so big that when it goes wrong bad things are almost guaranteed. Watching Tom auger in was about it. I'm thinking this was the last year of watching live and from here forward it will be complete full run clips.

The second thing is the direction. Watching Seminuk was pretty cool, but it is getting away from big mountain riding and making it a slope course on steroids. Maybe, I'm just a dinosaur, but I want some chunder and chunk that really needs a dual crowned big bike. Some of the sections are just so buffed out, it it like it has switched places. Now we have smaller chunk sections in the steeps with smooth transfers into huge jumplines. It just seems a bit too sculpted. I want to see the pendulum swing back a bit more to the natural, even if it means the loss of some of the huge built booters. But where do you draw the line between enough work to make it good, and some of the huge sculpted dirt-jump looking bits? I do however appreciate the loss of the huge wooden features. I can see wood being used in some situations in minor rolls for small bridges or re-enforcement.

meh, what do i know.

:shakefist:

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Funny, when I argued Snowshoe produced too many injuries basically everybody shut me down. Why is this different here? :confused:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Funny, when I argued Snowshoe produced too many injuries basically everybody shut me down. Why is this different here? :confused:
I wasn’t arguing, but I don’t find the snowshoe course inherently dangerous like jumping off a 50 ft cliff in the wind. If you crash in those snowshoe rocks however, it’s not going to be good for you. It was also quite physically demanding. One of the major injuries came from the finishline jump that is like any other out there… perhaps tamer.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'm still gonna say that whether it's snowshoe or rampage or barelli riding down a rock face for a youtube segment, these guys know damn well what they're getting into and what the risks are. if you don't like it, don't watch. obviously lots of others are.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I think the bigger thing is the support from Red Bull if/when the athletes get injured. They're the company increasing their mega profits and marketing of their $0.25 juice cans from events like this.

I know in Paul B's case it was nothing, which he was pretty vocal about.

Maybe they should change the title to Go Fund Me Rampage?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just for a laugh I'd like to see the face of their health insurers when they google what these guys get up to. "oh a professional cyclist hey? Should be low risk for heart problems - healthy enough for our 'low-risk' category. Let me just pop his name into Google and see if I can get a picture for the file... oh dear god"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There was a lot of sameness in the runs in that it seems like year to year and even competitor to competitor we've reached the asymptote of all the same "tricks people do at rampage"

So props to tom van steez for that bonkers front flip, the brandon for doing the few things no one else does because big fork

I'll have to defer to people there in person but sorge did the same trick on three different features and walked away with second. And tyler mccaul has the most consistent placing streak in history :rofl:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Just for a laugh I'd like to see the face of their health insurers when they google what these guys get up to. "oh a professional cyclist hey? Should be low risk for heart problems - healthy enough for our 'low-risk' category. Let me just pop his name into Google and see if I can get a picture for the file... oh dear god"
I lively recall the moment when my health insurer's clerk told me "you won't say you were doing a DH run off a mountain would you? Because we don't cover anything outside basic gym injuries" when I went in asking for authorization for a CT scan after breaking my helmet against a rock :rofl: .

I ended up putting "I fell off a ladder when trying to change a lightbulb in the kitchen and hit my head against the fridge" in the authorization form...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I lively recall the moment when my health insurer's clerk told me "you won't say you were doing a DH run off a mountain would you? Because we don't cover anything outside basic gym injuries" when I went in asking for authorization for a CT scan after breaking my helmet against a rock :rofl: .

I ended up putting "I fell off a ladder when trying to change a lightbulb in the kitchen and hit my head against the fridge" in the authorization form...
Cheape Travel Insurance covers "cycling" but not competitions. So pretty much every Aussie that goes to Whistler and enters a Phat Wednesday race tells their mates to take the number plate off their bike and to roll them off the race track.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm need to start getting hurt again. I'm just remembering all the questionaires I'd get from my insurance company after a booboo where they were looking for liability for all the hospital charges.

"I was riding a specialized demo 8 bicycle, made by specialized bicycles, upon which the bicycle began to behave erratically and became difficult to control"

Only now do I realize the years of wasted opportunity.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
a slope course on steroids
isn't that EXACTLY what rampage is and has been for years now?

The big landings, run ins and take offs look as smooth if not smoother than some actual slopestyle courses.