Quantcast

Rampage 2022

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
he's pretty much the reason rampage has evolved into a glorified slopestyle contest.
He can ride raw terrain probably better than anyone on that hill, his control is insane and he adds style while doing it. If anyone is to blame it's zink for that first 360...That was always going to happen.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
His crew can manicure raw terrain probably better than anyone on that hill
i never said he was a bad rider. he came in with a much greater focus on tricks than any of the competitors, and the judges rewarded him for it. when other riders saw that, they followed suit.

If anyone is to blame it's zink for that first 360
gotta go a little farther back. could blame strait for that massive suicide no hander or gracia for the first backflip

That was always going to happen
you're probably not wrong, but its hard to say he didn't greatly accelerate it.

i'm not saying changes are bad. look back at the first few iterations of rampage, they were basically bushwhacking down the hillside.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
as critical as i am about things being buffed and manicured, i do recognize that its much, much safer than the bushwhacking they were doing the first few years.
No doubt, I don't know what I am bitching about to be honest, It's a great event but maybe just felt a bit stale this year. I'd love to see it held somewhere else.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Don't hate the player... Tough to blame Semenuk for betting that his tricks will get higher scores. Seems to really come back to the judging, cracking their code, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't hate the player... Tough to blame Semenuk for betting that his tricks will get higher scores. Seems to really come back to the judging, cracking their code, etc.
which is exactly why i pointed out that the judges awarded him for it. if they hadn't, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Didn't that stuff start happening around or just before the year the Oakley drop was built? If I remember correctly, they (redbull or whoever) started pre-building a lot of the stuff for the riders.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Didn't that stuff start happening around or just before the year the Oakley drop was built? If I remember correctly, they (redbull or whoever) started pre-building a lot of the stuff for the riders.
IIRC it was the first 4 years when it was mostly bushwhacking, maybe some prebuilding. 2001-2004. then they were on hiatus until '08, and i believe that's when the prebuilding (primarily not by the riders) started. the 3 iterations from '08 to '12 were every other year. '13 went back to every year, and I believe that's when riders started getting more directly involved with the prebuidling. (no 2020 rampage b/c covid). IMO the riders should be given another week to prebuild, the last few years (especially the years at new venues) it seems like they feel rushed building/rebuilding their lines.

edit: i think the oakley drop was initially built 2010?

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
After 2013 Rampage when Mcgarry (rip) pulled the canyon gap backflip and got robbed. That was it for me. Too political as with any judged events. That broadcast was painfully long and just not that interesting.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Wasn't Semenuk the first to ride a single crown? And then won it? Correct me please. I'm getting old, memory fading....

Pretty ballsy. But pretty telling about the course at the same time. Or maybe he is that good? Can't be because of Trek ;) I wasn't really paying attention, but isn't he winning rally car races now? Pretty cool. The only reason to "not go for him" is because he's won it so many times. Like Minnnnnaaaaaar? :D

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Wasn't Semenuk the first to ride a single crown? And then won it? Correct me please. I'm getting old, memory fading....

Pretty ballsy. But pretty telling about the course at the same time. Or maybe he is that good? Can't be because of Trek ;) I wasn't really paying attention, but isn't he winning rally car races now? Pretty cool. The only reason to "not go for him" is because he's won it so many times. Like Minnnnnaaaaaar? :D
No Brother,Kyle was the first to run Single Crown 09 I think. I was listening to a Podcast he did when he said that. He also said it is going Slopestyle and he did not seem to happy about it.

Avy

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I thought it was claw or cedric who was the first to trick something at rampage, maybe 03? Cedric had that captain america costume on.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pulling tricks on ridiculous terrain is Rampage AF. Unless you can't do them, then "iTs gEtTiNg tOo sLoPeStyLe"

gtfo. Its a popularity contest, always has been. People gotta just consider it good viewing and work on making the coverage and view-ability the best it can be and forget the pretence that it is supposed to be some kind of quantifiable sport.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pulling tricks on ridiculous terrain is Rampage AF. Unless you can't do them, then "iTs gEtTiNg tOo sLoPeStyLe"

gtfo. Its a popularity contest, always has been. People gotta just consider it good viewing and work on making the coverage and view-ability the best it can be and forget the pretence that it is supposed to be some kind of quantifiable sport.
says the comfort braking squid :busted:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i never said he was a bad rider. he came in with a much greater focus on tricks than any of the competitors, and the judges rewarded him for it. when other riders saw that, they followed suit.
Yeah because you know what's better than an insanely difficult line? An insanely difficult lane with tricks. Simple as that. Not to mention you say it as if there were no tricks in old rampage events. They were. They were just rather basic becasue the sport didn't evolve enough.

Want fewer tricks and more gnarly line riding then ask for a new venue not for banning the most skilled riders.

Also if you are going to blame anyone for bringing tricks to rampage you need to blame Cedric

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rampage being more show than competition shouldn't be a shock to any of us.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah because you know what's better than an insanely difficult line? An insanely difficult lane with tricks. Simple as that. Not to mention you say it as if there were no tricks in old rampage events. They were. They were just rather basic becasue the sport didn't evolve enough.

Want fewer tricks and more gnarly line riding then ask for a new venue not for banning the most skilled riders.

Also if you are going to blame anyone for bringing tricks to rampage you need to blame Cedric

have you missed the last dozen posts where we discussed the riders that started doing tricks?

rampage should be weighted line choice and difficulty much more heavily than tricks. if i wanna just see tricks i'll watch audi 9s or crankworx.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
To me the way it has evolved can pretty much be summed up as...
What Hardline is to DH is what Rampage is to Slopestyle.

Hell that is what popped up in my mind and it seems to fit. :thank:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

Great analogy, now F*ck discovery, and let's let redbull put all this shit in a blender and make their own beast series.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

we need more backpacks at rampage.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

I prefer Hardline.

Granted Rampage is entertaining. (Insert "Are you not entertained?!" Meme from Gladiator movie) But I really only watch it cuz I like mountain biking and watching TV or vids on a device :)

Had there been a WC DH race on - I might watch the replay of the Rampage. But slopestyle is not really my jam.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
You miss seeing competitors ragdoll through soft dirt landings? Those were the days...
I certainly don't want to see anyone else getting massive injuries. But besides manicured landings, some of the intermediate, not serving as landings for other jumps sections are even smoother than the Joyride course. It all comes to the steady migration towards the slopestyle format others have already pointed out in this thread.