Quantcast

rampage course photos

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So...anyone still think there's too much run-in? Especially for such a mellow kicker...

Yes :D

Pics of hillsides are about as useful as crayon drawings though. Who knows.

But honestly in a course like this it's good to be able to generate speed for each feature. That way if you blow something your run isn't over. There's a lot of braking (just like the old courses) but it makes for a better contest if you can take each feature by itself without having to nail 3 other spots to keep your speed up.

Still with the speed you'll need to hit that, I can't even fathom tricking that jump. Should be pretty sweet to watch because you know those fvckers will be doing it.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
but it makes for a better contest if you can take each feature by itself without having to nail 3 other spots to keep your speed up.
I will agree, However...there's a lot to be said for the skillz required in linking stunts together. But with 30' deep canyons under each one, I'd rather play it safe with excess speed available!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I will agree, However...there's a lot to be said for the skillz required in linking stunts together. But with 30' deep canyons under each one, I'd rather play it safe with excess speed available!
I don't know if you've ridden the older sections but it's pretty crazy how much braking you have to do between features. Most of the really spectacular crashes were from people not slowing down enough. Lots of fall line stuff with quick acceleration. Speed was never an issue. I actually get more sketched out having to brake into something than having to milk it.

I have to admit, that's one of the few places I've been where all I could think about was how cool it would be if it snowed there. SO many fun little lines just a short hike up. I would kill to have a zone like that to ski in.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
If you blow something here i think there are bigger things to worry about then your run being over....i don't see any nets or even safety run outs if you mess up on the run in to stuff
Yes :D

Pics of hillsides are about as useful as crayon drawings though. Who knows.

But honestly in a course like this it's good to be able to generate speed for each feature. That way if you blow something your run isn't over. There's a lot of braking (just like the old courses) but it makes for a better contest if you can take each feature by itself without having to nail 3 other spots to keep your speed up.

Still with the speed you'll need to hit that, I can't even fathom tricking that jump. Should be pretty sweet to watch because you know those fvckers will be doing it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damn, it took me a couple seconds to figure out that thing is a gapper, not just a drop to oblivion.

For sure. I'll bet some nutcase (maybe more than one) will backflip it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If you blow something here i think there are bigger things to worry about then your run being over....i don't see any nets or even safety run outs if you mess up on the run in to stuff
That's a good point, although I doubt anyone involved would ever admit to it.

:biggrin:

Rampage always seemed to me like a Bushido kind of moment: You don't fear death, but you're not welcoming it either - at least you're not making eye contact anyway...

:biggrin:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
after the 2003 red bull rampage when greg minnaar got home, he told his mom that he's not going to go back ever again because it was just too insane. he said that he had never been so scared in his life like he was before his final run, that coming from a guy whos nickname is "big air" on the world cup circuit. anyone whos riding this year is just completely out of his tree, mad props to the invited riders that said yes and mad disrespect to anyone on the interweb who claims they could do it too!!

apparently not only is it crazy big but the traction wasnt the greatest either with all that loose s**t, alot of riders just ended up going over the bars because their wheels just sunk in.

Last edited:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
no, its just highly unlikely that someone who claims they gonna go for it actually have the skill to go do it and get away without serious injury. i know that I sure as hell wouldnt even think about it, would you?

theres a reason its invitation only. alot of the invited riders(who happen to be the best in the world) are going to wreck and hurt themselves, chances of someone else pulling a rampage run off safely is very very small

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
no, its just highly unlikely that someone who claims they gonna go for it actually have the skill to go do it and get away without serious injury. i know that I sure as hell wouldnt even think about it, would you?

theres a reason its invitation only. alot of the invited riders(who happen to be the best in the world) are going to wreck and hurt themselves, chances of someone else pulling a rampage run off safely is very very small
Thats true. Its not like some unknown ever just showed up at an event like the Rampage and kicked ass.

Oh wait, Bearclaw did.

Well, maybe at the Rampage, but never something like Crankworx.

Oh wait, Bass did.

Whatever. I go huge in Photoshop.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm not gonna re-read the thread but as I recall the only one to even suggest they'd like to ride some of it was Kidwoo, and plenty of people here will tell you he ain't just blowing smoke. Over time, as riders continue to exceed what you previously thought was possible, perhaps you will learn that there will always be someone to come along and blow to pieces your notion of the outer limits of progression.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I'm not gonna re-read the thread but as I recall the only one to even suggest they'd like to ride some of it was Kidwoo, and plenty of people here will tell you he ain't just blowing smoke. Over time, as riders continue to exceed what you previously thought was possible, perhaps you will learn that there will always be someone to come along and blow to pieces your notion of the outer limits of progression.
Then Bender comes along and reminds us why not everyone should try it.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
yeah, but kidwoo drinks sparks and this is a red bull thing, so obviously it could never work out.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
©2001;3066114 said:
yeah, but kidwoo drinks sparks and this is a red bull thing, so obviously it could never work out.
You're confusing me with the chico crowd.

That shizz is nasty.

Now if monster java ever held a contest...........white on rice yo.

Is freecaster going to be putting up practice footage in the next day or two?

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Thats true. Its not like some unknown ever just showed up at an event like the Rampage and kicked ass.

Oh wait, Bearclaw did.

Well, maybe at the Rampage, but never something like Crankworx.

Oh wait, Bass did.

Whatever. I go huge in Photoshop.
oh wait, Bearclaw was an invited rider wasnt he? or did he just show up and the let him ride an invitation only freeride event?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
oh wait, Bearclaw was an invited rider wasnt he? or did he just show up and the let him ride an invitation only freeride event?
As I recall, he basically just showed up. I remember there were a number of riders and promoter types who were not real psyched on him for a while after the comp based on the fact that he kind of crashed the party.

--JP

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I remember reading that he just showed up, but was allowed in because another rider had to drop out due to injury. I think he even borrowed the bike he was riding from a buddy of his.

Like others have said, just because a rider isn't sponsored, doesn't mean they can't throw down with the pros.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
the claw was a well-established BMX pro...he wasn't just some dude from canada when he showed up.

he and paul b are exceptions to the rule. there were MANY riders who were given a chance at rampages of the past who didn't do anything or exploded. same with crankworx. in 07, the had open qualifying with 100 riders trying to get in (did they this year too? i don't know). the final show basically consisted of all the established riders.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
©2001;3066560 said:
the claw was a well-established BMX pro...he wasn't just some dude from canada when he showed up.

he and paul b are exceptions to the rule. there were MANY riders who were given a chance at rampages of the past who didn't do anything or exploded. same with crankworx. in 07, the had open qualifying with 100 riders trying to get in (did they this year too? i don't know). the final show basically consisted of all the established riders.
I think the argument was just because a rider isn't "known" doesn't mean they can't compete at that level.

After seeing pics of this course, I'm glad its invitation only. Having an open qualifier with a course that burly would end badly...

Hope to see some sick stuff go down, but that the same time, hope all the riders stay safe!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Gracia for the win!!!!
I'd love to see it too, but he's got some tough competition. Here's the current rider list from the redbull site:

Graham Aggasiz (CAN)
Dan Atherton (GBR)
Gee Atherton (GBR)
Paul Basagoitia (USA)
Darren Berrecloth (CAN)
Robbie Bourdon (CAN)
Garret Buehler (CAN)
James Doerfling (CAN)
Cedric Gracia (FRA)
Geoff Gulevich (CAN)
Trond Hansen (NOR)
Mike Hopkins (CAN)
Matt Hunter (CAN)
Mike Kinrade (CAN)
Cam McCaul (USA)
Kelly McGarry (NZL)
Alex Prochazka (CAN)
Steve Romaniuk (CAN)
Brandon Semenuk (CAN)
Kurt Sorge (CAN)
Kyle Strait (USA)
Andrew Taylor (USA)
Guido Tschugg (GER)
Thomas Vanderham (CAN)
Chris Van Dine (USA)
Cameron Zink (USA)

I gotta give the nod to Cam McCaul but really anything can happen.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
I'd love to see it too, but he's got some tough competition. Here's the current rider list from the redbull site:

Graham Aggasiz (CAN)
Dan Atherton (GBR)
Gee Atherton (GBR)
Paul Basagoitia (USA)
Darren Berrecloth (CAN)
Robbie Bourdon (CAN)
Garret Buehler (CAN)
James Doerfling (CAN)
Cedric Gracia (FRA)
Geoff Gulevich (CAN)
Trond Hansen (NOR)
Mike Hopkins (CAN)
Matt Hunter (CAN)
Mike Kinrade (CAN)
Cam McCaul (USA)
Kelly McGarry (NZL)
Alex Prochazka (CAN)
Steve Romaniuk (CAN)
Brandon Semenuk (CAN)
Kurt Sorge (CAN)
Kyle Strait (USA)
Andrew Taylor (USA)
Guido Tschugg (GER)
Thomas Vanderham (CAN)
Chris Van Dine (USA)
Cameron Zink (USA)

I gotta give the nod to Cam McCaul but really anything can happen.

Half the list are canadians. Could be Canada 1,2,3 on the podium

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Kurtis Sorge!!!!!!

I love seeing that kid in there - I still have emails and photos he sent me way back in the day when he was looking for his first sponsor as a 13 or 14 year old. The Emails were utterly incomprehensible, but the photos and videos were insane - this tiny little grom on an oversized bike launching enormous jumps and clearing gigantic gaps. Go Kurt!

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
im rooting for Garret Buehler, Matt Hunter, Mike Kinrade and Steve Romaniuk for the win, after watching the stund episodes I really gained respect for these guys. they might not have been sending Bender or Bourdon sized gaps/drops but they had a great time riding and they just have something about them that appeals to me. I'd like to see Gee and Cedric Gracia do well representing us DH racers. Robbie Bourdon is just crazy and i'd put my money on him to entertain us all with a huge line that blows everyone away. Kyle Strait also is just mental, any rider good enough to ride rampage at 14 years old and the only rider to enter all 5 rampages so far . I'd put my money on him for the win. this is going to be one heck of a contest!!:)

Last edited: