Quantcast

rampage, dammit

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, competition creates additional drama. Absolutely. Thrill of victory, agony of defeat, etc. People get kicks out of seeing other people handle (or fail to handle) high-pressure situations. Lots of people are interested in that aspect.

A Rampage without a winner will be a less dramatic Rampage. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing - it would be good to have less drama over the weather, judging, etc., and focus purely on the riding. I'm all for it. I just don't know if the money will flow into the event without the drama of competition.
American's need to hear stories of others because they're not busy writing ones of their own

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes, competition creates additional drama. Absolutely. Thrill of victory, agony of defeat, etc. People get kicks out of seeing other people handle (or fail to handle) high-pressure situations. Lots of people are interested in that aspect.
Well if you're right, and redbull thinks that's the draw I'll just go ahead and let them know that all that crap is stupid. :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So a local brewpub projected the replay on the big wall this past Saturday night. Golden is a VERY bikey town and most knew what was happening, but the brewery had a few obvious non-riders in attendance and they were GLUED to watching the show. They couldn't believe people were riding bicycles down/off cliffs and generally thought it was the coolest thing ever, asking questions, gasping, cheering, etc.

I'd also bet my last $ that none of those people are going to start drinking redbull after seeing the event on tv.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if you sign a waiver absolving the organizer of responsibility and then sue them anyway you deserve the injury you got. fuck a litigious society.
its not always about money. people who sue despite signing a waiver are typically doing so because of negligence on the other party's behalf. im not saying red bull was negligent but signing a waiver doesnt mean you cant sue someone.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I said it above and someone seemed to think I was nuts but...i'll repeat.

Slopestyle is becoming bmx, one line, no creativity, gymnastics. Rampage is becoming a death sentence. We need to get back to an actual 'Freeride' competition, remember that term? Ya the one we tried to kill? Mesh the two where you have interpretation of lines and now we have something...Chatel was a great example.

Spent 10 hours in a car this weekend driving back from highland with some of my pro bmx convert to mtb buddies and discussed this at length. It just make sense...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We need to get back to an actual 'Freeride' competition, remember that term? Ya the one we tried to kill? Mesh the two where you have interpretation of lines and now we have something...Chatel was a great example.
Yeah like have some techy steep riding at the top with some jumps at the bottom to trick maybe. Have it somewhere where the riders can build their own lines instead of all riding the same 'course'. Have it somewhere kind of in the open so spectators and media can all see the whole area.

Man that would be sweet!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What kind of stupid insurance company is going to offer to cover people for that event? The premium would be more than the prize money on offer.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I imagine the medical costs for rampage every year must be crazy high. I can't imagine what the riders are paying for insurance then.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
if the "drama" is the draw of the event, then just have a fest-type series that is filmed on the DL (not live), and hire some reality show producers, and bring the ridemonkey starz as entourage - and its all like "oh mah gawd".

edit, make a series from it, and, uh profit? But we'd get some jersey boyz, reality wives or whatever out of it. I know some less than rampage winning riders (and hangers on/wives/mechanics/etc) who would win the fuck out of this format.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
if the "drama" is the draw of the event, then just have a fest-type series that is filmed on the DL (not live), and hire some reality show producers, and bring the ridemonkey starz as entourage - and its all like "oh mah gawd".

edit, make a series from it, and, uh profit? But we'd get some jersey boyz, reality wives or whatever out of it. I know some less than rampage winning riders (and hangers on/wives/mechanics/etc) who would win the fuck out of this format.
like the "ultimate fighter" reality show, or whatever it was called. Its legit fighting/competition, but thats 10% of the show.

I'd like to state now that I would hate this. but it seems like a logical path after reading this horrible thread.

Vanguard

Chimp
Jun 19, 2014
Call me cold hearted, but IMHO Redbull doesn't owe athletes anything.
I'm calling you cold hearted.

I think Redbull owes the riders to sign an insurance that covers medical all costs and includes a disability insurance in the event package. The terms & conditions should be negotiated by RB, and RB should cover the full costs of the insurance in the event budget. I don't think such a deal would break the event's budget.

I am sure they make enough money so they can make sure some rider who happens to be short of money does not attend the event underinsured or not at all.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I don't think such a deal would break the event's budget.

I am sure they make enough money so they can make sure some rider who happens to be short of money does not attend the event underinsured or not at all.
If they can spend $6 million per F1 car per weekend just to race without a crash I am sure full coverage on 20-25 guys would be a drop in the bucket for 3-4 days...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

get this guy to narrate it

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

I think Redbull owes the riders to sign an insurance that covers medical all costs and includes a disability insurance in the event package. The terms & conditions should be negotiated by RB, and RB should cover the full costs of the insurance in the event budget. I don't think such a deal would break the event's budget.

As soon as you have this, you have redbull deciding what lines, what tricks, what bikes, what body armor, and what decisions each athlete can make, we shall call it confinedride.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

Realistically, it is on the riders to organize and demand things like this.

I don't doubt that all Redbull Athletes are well fed, and properly insured in any eventuality. Each athlete negotiates their own contract in accordance with the athlete's needs, the level of ROI they offer the brand, etc.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
the last time ESPN did a mountain bike event, it was in the fucking snow.
That was just an example. Let it be run by Red Bull if you want to.
The Real Snow, ski, whatever contests are really popular, because there are people in the contest that aren't competing otherwise anymore but at the same time push the boundaries of the sport.
Advantages:
-More time to get your footage.
-You are not limited to one venue where you have to fight for your line.
-No contest pressure with life feed and whatnot.
-More creativity possible through filming.