Quantcast

Rampage! Live Thread. Dudes hucking themselves everywhere.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Zink killled it. Kidwoo, are you saying Romo's lip was at too much of an angle to the wall? I didn't see that Gee had his own lip- that's interesting.

BTW, it looks like the fork broke from the bartwist/otb after the initial impact on the quaterpipe gap thingy.

Wierd how that does them in. Saw my buddy break his boxxer that way- the bars snapping sideways and digging into the ground broke em, not the inital hit (thank god).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Zink killled it. Kidwoo, are you saying Romo's lip was at too much of an angle to the wall? I didn't see that Gee had his own lip- that's interesting.
Yeah, Gee's lip was a little higher up and quite a bit farther to the rider's right than Romo's. It meant that he could really transition smoothly onto the wall, whereas Romo kind of just plowed straight into it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Totally. Look at #17 in this photo seqence. You can see every inch of that landing. Like I keep saying, that means you're jumping AT the wall. Not that big of a deal on a 10-20 foot jump but that impact gets pretty gnarly at that size.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/2010-Red-Bull-Rampage-Qualifying,1640/Slideshow,11508/sspomer,2

Now watch this video. They built another lip.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/red-bull-rampage-line-video.html

And it's obvious the different trajectories watching them hit each today. Gee came in smooth as hell, along the landing instead of smacking into it. As soon as I saw doerflinger hit that I knew he was going to fold just like romo did.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Brad Ewen needs to go. Absolutely horribad. Definitely not what this sport needs.

Event was off-the-hook!!

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Brad Ewen needs to go. Absolutely horribad. Definitely not what this sport needs.
Yup, terrible. I think the only rider he didn't describe as a "young ripper" may have been Cedric, but that was probably an oversight.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
I couldnt stand him. As RayB said, he isnt what the sport needs.

I'd happily take warner anyday over that ewen guy

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Could someone update me on what happened with Andreu? A big crash trying something gnarly is what it sounds like...

Ive never been a big Cam Zink fan but 360ing that drop gave me tons of respect for the dude. I remember hearing in one of the quali/practice vids someone mention Zink said he was gonna 3 the Icon Sender and I thought it was a complete joke. I still cant believe he did it, SO freakin big. Tons of respect for Gee throwing down a gnarly run as well, the dude is such a good biker.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The thing about Gee's run is he probably could have gone for a nastier run with more danger factor. We've seen the talent he possesses. But at the end of the day, he used his brain and pulled out a run that wouldn't leave him on the sidelines during "training" season.

He's gotta stay fit for his next Playgirl photo shoot. :rofl:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Rampage was awesome. So stoked I could see it in person! The lines are hard to believe when you see them up close. Props to every rider out there. :thumb:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
is he ok? saw that in th highlight reel (I think) & it looked gnarly.:shocked:
He was up and walking around (with a little help) after a couple minutes. Not really sure as to the extent of his injuries, but it didn't look like anything really horrible.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I missed the live feed and am a bit baffled to why Zink won as it only looked like he did that big 360 and nothing else? Was the rest of his run good too? Claw's run looked burly and ragged but Gee looked otherworldly to me. Like everyone else was on hardtails of something.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I missed the live feed and am a bit baffled to why Zink won as it only looked like he did that big 360 and nothing else? Was the rest of his run good too? Claw's run looked burly and ragged but Gee looked otherworldly to me. Like everyone else was on hardtails of something.
You gotta look at it like this: There are lots of guys who could have done Gee's run.

There may be one other person on the planet who could have done zink's run. Or at least be willing to try it. Seriously...a 360 off a drop not only that big but one that has a shltty compression on the roll in, is pretty friggin unique. I know it's only so relevant to a scored run but the fact that he almost killed himself his first try and then went back and stomped it deserves......I'm not sure respect is the right word.....but it deserves something :D

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
At the Rampage, it seems that one sick move like that will do it. They always say it's about progressing the sport, breaking boundaries, etc. Zink put everything on the line and did exactly that, and what is "possible" has been redefined again. The fact that he crashed hard and got up to pull it off later had to help with the judges too.

Going super huge, fast, and stylish like Gee did is always rad but sticking a three on a feature that some of the top guys wouldn't hit straight = game over. At least at this event.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Yeah I guess you guys are right. He did get up and hit that thing again.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Damn, the Bender hate got squashed in the thread about him so now it's overflowing into here? Rampage this year wouldn't be what it was without JB out there building for all the riders. Go do something productive, keyboard warriors.

For those that missed the live feed (like myself), here is a quick recap of the finals on the 'Toob:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Oh jesus

You ever ridden out there or been to one of the events?

I'm sorry but I haven't had the chance. I do read a lot and I can say that he had more of an impact in that event than the people talking trash about him. I should have worded it a bit differently but I just don't understand any sort of sh*t talk between fellow MTB'ers. We all enjoy the sport the same, some just aren't as privileged as others.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh for sure. Everyone knows his PLACE in the rampage. He's the one that pointed out the original zone. But to act like he's the only one out there putting the contest venue together is quite a large disservice to everyone out there busting their asses building that place.....including the competitors.

This year's event had the best laid out lines of any previous year. That wasn't soley because of bender....not by a long shot.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Oh for sure. Everyone knows his PLACE in the rampage. He's the one that pointed out the original zone. But to act like he's the only one out there putting the contest venue together is quite a large disservice to everyone out there busting their asses building that place.....including the competitors.

This year's event had the best laid out lines of any previous year. That wasn't soley because of bender....not by a long shot.
The digging was rad, and definitely paid off. Thomas had a crazy flowy, sick line dug in. He busted his ass for 5 days, solo!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Since I am behind the curve on this one, what about Zink's run helped him win other than the 360? I've not seen a vid showing his whole run. Were there other tricks he threw down lower on course too or was it a combined score from 2 runs?

Just that I saw some guys bust out some crazy sick tricks in succession on tech lines and the only vid from Zink I've had time to watch was his huck.

Was this a one trick pony run? Because if it is...he won with the same trick twice in a row? Not hating...just asking.

Oh, and for the Bender lover....it's all in good fun. He's an easy punch line. And it's the internet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Since I am behind the curve on this one, what about Zink's run helped him win other than the 360? I've not seen a vid showing his whole run. Were there other tricks he threw down lower on course too or was it a combined score from 2 runs?

Just that I saw some guys bust out some crazy sick tricks in succession on tech lines and the only vid from Zink I've had time to watch was his huck.

Was this a one trick pony run? Because if it is...he won with the same trick twice in a row? Not hating...just asking.

Oh, and for the Bender lover....it's all in good fun. He's an easy punch line. And it's the internet.
covered:

You gotta look at it like this: There are lots of guys who could have done Gee's run.

There may be one other person on the planet who could have done zink's run. Or at least be willing to try it. Seriously...a 360 off a drop not only that big but one that has a shltty compression on the roll in, is pretty friggin unique. I know it's only so relevant to a scored run but the fact that he almost killed himself his first try and then went back and stomped it deserves......I'm not sure respect is the right word.....but it deserves something :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So it was literally 1 trick winning? Well, momma always said find something you can do better than everybody else and stick with it.
not just that, but doing it on probably the hardest stunt on one of the hardest lines in the zone. Not that the other lines were easy...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Kidwoo nailed it with his analogy.

Zink should start his own church with a death defying 360 like that. Hell, it would be the first church not full of lies and scandal haha.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Kidwoo nailed it with his analogy.
True that. Not that his run before or after the 360 was lacking or awe inspiring, but the 360 on the Icon drop nailed it. Fully deserving of the win. Bearclaw's run was full gnar and Gee's run was crazy fast and smooth. Not a single rider in the finals that wasn't an absolute shredder.