Quantcast

Random Dark Mountain thought...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
well, fontana has the night DH course for the icycle....Dark Mountain's course would be perfect for that too! it would be yet another off-season fun fest. imagine the rock garden at night....oh man that course would rock!

just a random idea to get the juices flowing.

would the dam authorities (haha..good pun...dam authorities :D )be up for allowing such an event matt?

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
manimal said:
well, fontana has the night DH course for the icycle....Dark Mountain's course would be perfect for that too! it would be yet another off-season fun fest. imagine the rock garden at night....oh man that course would rock!

just a random idea to get the juices flowing.

would the dam authorities (haha..good pun...dam authorities :D )be up for allowing such an event matt?
The dam authority would probably be open to it...you crack me up! Anyway the only thing would be that we wouldn't be able to afford the timing system and getting sponsors would most likely be difficult. For us it take a two day crowd or around 200 riders to even hope to break even with the timing system. We do use the timing for a couple of our one day road events but they are well over the 200 mark. In regards to sponsors we lost a couple of key ones this year and if Kenda Tires hadn't stepped up to the plate I'm not sure what we would have done.:nopity:

OK I'm off my sad story!!!....I'm bring this up at the next club meeting to see what the groups thoughts are.

Later

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Peete said:
All the timing gear you need is 2 walkie-talkies and a stop watch, send them down one at a time.
Or borrow Terry's.
I guess we're spoiled...the others leaves to much room for error which can cause conflicts, etc. etc. If we did do a winter version then we'd definitely have to do something like this. I'll add this to my notes for the meeting. If we did this then maybe prizes could just be a portion of the entry fees paid back...the only real things we'd have to cover then is the porta john's & trash dumpster which are required by the Core.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
no need for the timing system or anything fancy. this will be an off-season/ no points race just for fun. heck, most riders would probably be happy with some gag prizes as long as the entry fee was minimal. you know A LOT more than i do about the inner-workings of putting on a race but this could be promoted as a "fun race" only, a lot like fontana but much...much closer :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
aww man...you haven't raced until you've tried the icycle. what is pretty much just a tech XC trail during the day is a crazy-fun DH course at night. add mud and snow and you have yourself a party on two wheels :thumb:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I did the Icycle last year. Even though Fontana is a pretty tame course it's a whole other story at night. Racing at night is stupid fun. With proper lights you can go just as fast at night as you can during the day.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
AngryMetalsmith said:
I did the Icycle last year. Even though Fontana is a pretty tame course it's a whole other story at night. Racing at night is stupid fun. With proper lights you can go just as fast at night as you can during the day.
I know a place where doing a night DH would be pretty fun...:sneaky:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
AngryMetalsmith said:
With proper lights you can go just as fast at night as you can during the day.
Yeah, climbing isn't hampered too much by the dark. :nopity:

However that is not to say I didn't enjoy Fontana. The atmosphere, time of year, weather, and people make the fun. Not the trail.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
many years ago i did about a four hour x-c ride up here at night.

trust me, you don't want to be around here when the sun is gone.