Quantcast

Random drug testing in school approved

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Did anyone hear about this? I saw it on the news this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/27/scotus.drug.testing.ap/index.html

Some girl and her family sued her school system because she was subjected to a random drug test. She passed the test and said she's never taken drugs, but she considered this a violation of her right to privacy.

All I have to say to her is DON'T TAKE DRUGS, CRACKHEAD, AND YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. Welcome to the real world, sister.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Did anyone hear about this? I saw it on the news this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/27/scotus.drug.testing.ap/index.html

Some girl and her family sued her school system because she was subjected to a random drug test. She passed the test and said she's never taken drugs, but she considered this a violation of her right to privacy.

All I have to say to her is DON'T TAKE DRUGS, CRACKHEAD, AND YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. Welcome to the real world, sister.
We always had random locker searches and bookbag searches. It was only a matter of time before this started.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't think it's right to test without reason. Accept it in the schools as we've come to accept it (sort of) in the workplace, and we're one step closer to a police society where you're fine unless you step out of line. Okay, maybe I'm a bit overly Orwellian (and rhyming :D) this morning, but you can see my point, no?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by gecko
Phew, good thing I'm done school.
Well, this school only tested students who participated in after school activities. This girl was a member of the Math Club and Debate Team, and she was tested. Seems odd to only test students with extra-curricular activities You'd think that would curb the number of students who participate, and schools are supposed to encourage participation.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
score one for the stoners!! they've got nothing to worry about now that the attention has been shifted to over achievers!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Well, this school only tested students who participated in after school activities. This girl was a member of the Math Club and Debate Team, and she was tested. Seems odd to only test students with extra-curricular activities You'd think that would curb the number of students who participate, and schools are supposed to encourage participation.
I guess the new math nerds will have to rely on brainpower, rather than The Crack, which undoubtedly helped me through high school. :eek: :rolleyes:

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Well I was on most of the sports teams, did all those math competitions (scored in the 99th percentile nationally on a few of them hehe), science competitions, etc....but I did smoke the occasional dubie with my friends, I really don't think I should have been penalized for it, not at the high school level anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by gecko
Well I was on most of the sports teams, did all those math competitions (scored in the 99th percentile nationally on a few of them hehe), science competitions, etc....but I did smoke the occasional dubie with my friends, I really don't think I should have been penalized for it, not at the high school level anyway.
me too :eek:

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO

I think the reasoning there is that you don't have to be involved in extra-curricular activity and if you so choose to do so you choose to submit to a drug test. They don't test the whole school because you don't have a choice of going to school or not. It's the same general principle that I think they apply to on the job drug tests. Working for a company that does drug tests is your choice if you don't like it you can find another job.

Sep 10, 2001
Vancouver, BC
I think it's stupid to do such things. If drugs have become a problem for a kid, it's easy enough to tell. But to do random tests seems kinda stupid to me. But I guess that's coming from a person who will smoke up on occasion. But I think it's definitely an effective way to lower drugs in school, as much as I hate to admit it. But the fact that they only test extra-curricular kids seems like a motivation not to participate.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Originally posted by Daniel(Canada)
I think it's stupid to do such things. If drugs have become a problem for a kid, it's easy enough to tell. But to do random tests seems kinda stupid to me. But I guess that's coming from a person who will smoke up on occasion. But I think it's definitely an effective way to lower drugs in school, as much as I hate to admit it. But the fact that they only test extra-curricular kids seems like a motivation not to participate.
but why would do drugs in the first place if you're involved in ec activities? it's not like being high is gonna help. well...it might. hehe. actually...it doesn't make sense cause they're testing for after the fact. it'd make more sense if you got caught doing drugs on school campus or came to school high, and teachers had a reasonable cause to test the kid for drugs. what you do outside of school is your business...not the school's.

btw, happy birthday.

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
Originally posted by ibismojo

but why would do drugs in the first place if you're involved in ec activities? it's not like being high is gonna help. well...it might. hehe. actually...it doesn't make sense cause they're testing for after the fact. it'd make more sense if you got caught doing drugs on school campus or came to school high, and teachers had a reasonable cause to test the kid for drugs. what you do outside of school is your business...not the school's.

btw, happy birthday.
When it comes to sports they are probably looking for roids. I know when I was in highschool most of the starting line on the football team used them.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Originally posted by Will_Jekyll

When it comes to sports they are probably looking for roids. I know when I was in highschool most of the starting line on the football team used them.
haha, steroids for the human mind. can you imagine that...you're at some academic competition and you're accused of juicing! heh...what i would pay to see that.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Originally posted by ummbikes
They should test the teachers too...;)
Hell Yah you know howmany teachers would get busted.:D

Anyhow Im totaly against drug testing by shcools. It is a total invation of privicy. I watched the show and the interveiwer said that 3 out of 505 students tested at that girls school tested positive and asked the girl weather because of this drug test these 3 students where caught and schools should continue to test in order to catch more. Kids who do drugs and have a serious problem with drugs are not smart people and will get caught anyway I was in a class where 2 student where taken out after a locker seach! they where stuipd enough to have weed and its pungent odor in a locker and they go caught.

Also the principal of the girls school said he orderd the test as a result of a "serious drug problem" in his school. im sorry but 3 out of 505 is dick in comparison to my school of 800 students.

Dirt rider drug free

Bardfor

Chimp
Jun 27, 2002
the hospital (again!)
Originally posted by Dirt rider

Anyhow Im totaly against drug testing by shcools. It is a total invation of privicy.
I agree that random drug testing in *public* schools is an invasion of privacy... but, if you send your kid to a private school that you have to pay for, then the school should have the power to do whatever it wants to maintain it's student popluation, the school reputation, etc. You (as a parent) are paying extra to send your kid somewhere other than the school provided by the government (public school)...

now, are private schools better than public schools? hmmm....

ElemenoPee

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
OxNards, CA
only a matter of time b4 they get the rubber gloves out.

that reminds me of a quote from a movie.........'well, the guy with the rubber glove was surprisingly gentle'

Umm, I know we all know this, but drugs are illegal. (Well, not over the counter drugs, but y'all know what I mean. :)

That being said, I'm all for random drug tests - IF they have a reason to test. For instance, if they've never had problems with drugs, then there's no reason. Now, if they suddenly have a kid wander in one day with red eyes, acting all weird, driving 2 miles an hour, and he's got the munchies big time, that'd be suspicious to me. And if they tested him, and he was positive, I do not think it would be wrong to do random drug tests. Drug tests may be an invasion of privacy, but drugs are illegal.....as soon as you take the drugs, as far as I am concerned, you void your 'right' to privacy as far as those drug tests are concerned.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Glad to hear the court is so stoked to do drug screening on teenagers. Now lets get their sorry azzes in the program. After all they are appointed for life and charged with being the final interpreter of the constitution. Also test:
  • The President and Vice-President
  • All Cabinet Members
  • Senators and Represenatives
  • CEO's and Board Members of all companies regulated by the SEC
  • Any and all accredited journalists
  • Anyone who wants a driver's license.......

After all if we need to test 17 year olds in drama club.... :mad:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I don't think it should be allowed. It's one thing for private institutions (businesses/corporations) to test employees who are under contract, but for a govermental organization (schools) to administer random drugs tests without warrant is unlawful search and sezure and sets a dangerous precedent. My school got around this, by having random drug dog searches at the school. A drug dog smelling something is sufficient cause for search... (that one would've backfired if they hadn't warned all the teachers in advance not to bring their stash to school that day).

In addition if you ARE going to have random drug tests, it's ridiculous to limit it to students involved in exatr-curricular activities, as these are the kids LEAST AT RISK. Even if they are using drugs they're much more likely to lead healthy and balanced lives than the kids with NO extra-curriculars who is also using rec drugs.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
The reason for the testing of kids involved in EC activities is because they as participants in funded activites are the recipients of more per-student funding. Addtionally they are representing their schools and communites.
I think ensureing those kids are not using drugs is justified.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Damn True
The reason for the testing of kids involved in EC activities is because they as participants in funded activites are the recipients of more per-student funding. Addtionally they are representing their schools and communites.
I think ensureing those kids are not using drugs is justified.
But the purpose of the drug testing is to ensure the kids live quality lives, right? In my unscientific opinion (backed up by my and gecko's experience as posted above) the kids in EC activites are less at risk to screw up their lives, even if they experiment with drugs.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
The double standard is huge. I can see DT's point. However, If having kids clean for debate club is vital to our national interests than there should be no problem testing judges, politicians and journalists.....

Nobody's got the balls pass that kind of legislation so they test kids, welfare recipients and lance corporals.......

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
You are probably right, and I think the testing includes student atheletes as well. If not it should.

But taking your logic, and it is sound, to the next level. Why not ensure that those kids are held to a higher level of accountability so as to be a better example to other kids?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Spud
The double standard is huge. I can see DT's point. However, If having kids clean for debate club is vital to our national interests than there should be no problem testing judges, politicians and journalists.....

Nobody's got the balls pass that kind of legislation so they test kids, welfare recipients and lance corporals.......

The military does get tested.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why not ensure that those kids are held to a higher level of accountability so as to be a better example to other kids?
Doing so would be unfair. Not to sound whiny, but expectations are already high for straight arrow kids, and basically forcing them to be totally clean would perhaps make it more attractive to play dumb. :rolleyes:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Toshi

Doing so would be unfair. Not to sound whiny, but expectations are already high for straight arrow kids, and basically forcing them to be totally clean would perhaps make it more attractive to play dumb. :rolleyes:

I see your point, but disagree.

I think the message it sends to other kids is the real point.

You can't achieve "X" if you are doing drugs.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

I see your point, but disagree.

I think the message it sends to other kids is the real point.

You can't achieve "X" if you are doing drugs.
If you're putting a policy into effect for it's message rather than it's direct effect, then it should at least be an accurate message.

Looking at the top of my graduating classes (highschool and college), drug use had zero effect on ability to achieve, or overall success of the student. The kids who had problems almost always had greater problems than just drugs and very very few of them were involved in any extra-curriculars. The drugs were the symptom not the cause, and we should be encouraging kids as much as possible to get involved in extra-curriculars...

I see your point, but I disagree about what is most important in this issue.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)

The answer is yes.

From E-1 to the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Now that's fair. I'd like to see school districts follow such a policy. Principal Skinner, we need you to come to the nurse's office for your random U.A.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I think it's totally fair to be testing kids. I don't even think it should be random. I think it should be mandatory. Run the mile, flex test, sit-ups, and piss in a cup. Testing kids would make so many more get caught.
I remember one day last year at my school a rumor came up that they were doing drug testing in the afternoon. Half the kids walked home at lunch or began to drink tons of water (they're stupid). The cafeteria sold every single poppy seed bagel. If we really had had drug testing that day, it would have been great. (Most of the other riders on this board from my school will disagree with me, but who cares.)

It's not an invasion of privacy. Nobody is making you strip or doing a full body cavity search. Drugs are illegal, and even if they weren't, they have no place in an institution of learning. You can't bring a gun or other weapon to school, so some schools have metal detectors. You can't have drugs in school (or anywhere) so schools should have drug tests if they have a drug problem.

edit: spelling correction

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
15 of the 25 kids in my High School AP calculus class smoked pot on a regular basis.
All but two had used the drug at some point.
Most of the kids I've kept up from high school with are now doing very well.
There are no correlations between marijuana use and academic success.
Public school systems have no business knowing which students use illegal drugs.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Drug test a child on probation for commiting a crime. Drug test the staff who work at the high school. But a school should never have the right to test students for any other reason.
Justifying this infringement of rights, takes the power away from the parents. There are avenues to take if a kid is having problems with drugs, and testing is one of them, but at the discretion of the parent only.
No one should condone the use of drugs by students, especially parents. But that's not the issue, the issue is how far do we as a society react or overreact to the fallacies of youth. Certainly drugs can hamper the future of a child, but so can a black mark from a random drug test from a public institution. Think hard about the repurcussions of this policy and argue to me realistically if the benefits outweigh the negatives. Not testing, or drug prevention for a child, but the school dictating when,who, and how.