Random drug testing in school approved

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by Damn True
Impossible.

Marijuana impairs.

Those same riders simply would ride better when not impaired.
Ever notice how well stoners are able to just go with the flow?
It's an integral part of the high.
Ever notice how the fastest riders can effortlessly flow through the fastest lines?
It's what being an efficient rider is about.
I know of a few riders around here who do practice day high to help find and learn smooth lines, then race sober to take advantage of the superior competitiveness of sobriety.
But then there’s also guys who are high whenever they are on a bike, and are just plain fast….so whatever.

I think that you have little understanding of the effects of marijuana.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Sideways
Ever notice how the fastest riders can effortlessly flow through the fastest lines?
I know of a few riders around here who do practice day high to help find and learn smooth lines, then race sober to take advantage of the superior competitiveness of sobriety.
But then there’s also guys who are high whenever they are on a bike, and are just plain fast….so whatever.

Sounds like someone should burn one and go hit the trails huh.

Marijuana isn't a depressant, it's a psychoactive drug. Everyone reacts differently to the effects. I personally have a hard time carrying on a conversation when stoned because I get side tracked by tangent thoughts. Give me something physical to do (bicycle) and I become intensely focused to the task at hand. When I dabbled in XC racing, I was also able to train at a higher heartrate when stoned. I didn't feel the lactic acid quite as much on longer climbs thanks to the pain numbing effects. I also felt more in touch with what was going on physically (death grip on the bars, clenched jaw, straight arms) and could make corrections.

But I also know people that freak out or get paranoid. I even know a couple people that have vomited after smoking. Some just get perma giggle and fall on the floor laughing.

It's a drug that enhances parts of your persona. Everyone reacts differently. Once again, everyone reacts differently.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MrBIG..............

Wanna go riding when i come out that way in a couple weeks?
I hear this watershed's the place to go.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by BurlySurly
MrBIG..............

Wanna go riding when i come out that way in a couple weeks?
I hear this watershed's the place to go.
I need an excuse to make the trip up there. Its about 4 hours north of me, but your right, I hear it is the place to go. Your also welcome to roll down to Richmond/Charlottesville. Richmond has AWESOME riding opportunity. You can combine DJ, Urban, and XC VERY easily. Walnut Creek.....seems like all you do is pedal at that place. I'll PM you my contact info, but I'm sure a "BurlySurly visits the DC area" thread will start as soon as you make it out here.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Right on,

Ill be out there for like 2 months, so i should get alot of riding in on the weekends. What kind of riding you do? Any DH/FR kinda stuff? I like urban as well, and some XC as long as i dont have climb too far. All i have is a 38T ring, and that gets a bit trying after a while.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Right on,

Ill be out there for like 2 months, so i should get alot of riding in on the weekends. What kind of riding you do? Any DH/FR kinda stuff? I like urban as well, and some XC as long as i dont have climb too far. All i have is a 38T ring, and that gets a bit trying after a while.
Considering that the only bike I own right now is a Giant AC-2, I'm on a FR, Urban, DH kick. Climbing sucks on the Giant, I had a Superlight before this and it's about 10 lbs heavier with 2.5 tires.

If the weather cooperates........Wintergreen!!!!!!!!!!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by Sideways

Riiiiiight.

So, would you be willing to get aboard a 747 with a stoned pilot?
If you say anything other than no, you are lying to me and to yourself.

I know enough to be sure that only a complete moron would put that stuff in his/her body.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Give me an H
Give me a Y
Give me a P
Give me an...forget it, Damn True we all know what it spells.

Would I get on a plane with a stoned pilot? Nope. One who smokes marijuana? Yep. Is drunk? Nope. Drinks alcohol? Yes.

If I had a choice of pilot, stoned or drunk?

Stoned anyday.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
there are SO many facts/misconceptions about MJ and doing daily business.

kids under the age of sixteen should not smoke because their brains are not fully developed. after that, a kid would have to smoke a lot - like a pound a month (or a week of my stuff) - of MJ to suffer TEMPORARY brain disfunction. you could probably get the same effect living in a SMOGgy city for a day.

its a question of potential. however, we HUMANS only use a portion of our brains (more if you smoke MJ).

i could go on.... but this is a school rated thread.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Silver
Give me an H
Give me a Y
Give me a P
Give me an...forget it, Damn True we all know what it spells.

Would I get on a plane with a stoned pilot? Nope. One who smokes marijuana? Yep. Is drunk? Nope. Drinks alcohol? Yes.

If I had a choice of pilot, stoned or drunk?

Stoned anyday.
You missed the point.

People keep saying (read lying) that MJ does not impair. Well if so I suggest you get on a plane with a stoned pilot.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Riiiiiight.

I know enough to be sure that only a complete moron would put that stuff in his/her body.
Just because someone judges the risks and benfits differently to you they are a complete moron?

I would think that driving a car is more harmfull than using pot but the advantages for most people of driving a car outway the risk of death or serious injury.

johnny33fb

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
Glens Falls, ny
"Riiiiiight.

I know enough to be sure that only a complete moron would put that stuff in his/her body. "

So you consider anyone who has ever put mj in their body a complete moron... please thats just a stupid answer. Many people have tried it and decided that its not for them. Do you know how many presidents have used mj, or successful people the list is endless. Using something once in awhile or trying something doesn't make you a moron but rather lets you grow, try new things, and it everyone had a view like or thats stupid or thats not right we would never learn anything as a society and develop new technologies. What makes a person a moron is when they become dependent or controlled by that substance and can no longer live as a "normal" person.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by johnny33fb
"Riiiiiight.

I know enough to be sure that only a complete moron would put that stuff in his/her body. "

So you consider anyone who has ever put mj in their body a complete moron... please thats just a stupid answer. Many people have tried it and decided that its not for them. Do you know how many presidents have used mj, or successful people the list is endless. Using something once in awhile or trying something doesn't make you a moron but rather lets you grow, try new things, and it everyone had a view like or thats stupid or thats not right we would never learn anything as a society and develop new technologies. What makes a person a moron is when they become dependent or controlled by that substance and can no longer live as a "normal" person.

A bit too much extrapolation.

When one is young and stupid one will do stupid things. When we grow up we put the stupid things behind us. I tried it. Didn't like it. Never used it again. Knowing what I know about it, I don't understand why anyone would.

If someone contiues to use something that causes that kind of damage to thier body and exposes them to the risks caused by impairment, and the potential judicial reprecussions they either have yet to grow up, or are a moron.

Note, the above description sounds an awful lot like the description of most addictions dosne't it?

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC

If someone contiues to use something that causes that kind of damage to thier body and exposes them to the risks caused by impairment, and the potential judicial reprecussions they either have yet to grow up, or are a moron.
I reckon you might have offended a few people with this statement.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
A bit too much extrapolation.

When one is young and stupid one will do stupid things. When we grow up we put the stupid things behind us. I tried it. Didn't like it. Never used it again. Knowing what I know about it, I don't understand why anyone would.

Note, the above description sounds an awful lot like the description of most addictions dosne't it?
I have never met a person who does not do something that is harmfull because in their view it's benifits outweigh the drawbacks.

Everybody takes substances into their body that are harmfull but provide benifits. Oxygen is an example, obviously vital for life but breathing it could kill you. Fatty foods, taking a journey in a car all could kill.

You call people who make these decisions differrent to you morons, nothing like an open mind I suspose.

The only things I am addicted to are breathing, eating and removeing the waste.