Quantcast

Random drug testing in school approved

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I cant even believe im reading this.

Marijuana (regardless of your personal feelings people) is ILLEGAL.

CHILDREN people....do not need to be smoking MARIJUANA!, or doing any other drugs to begin with. Who cares if you did. Would you want your kid smoking Marijuana? I doubt it.

With that said...School is a place for learning. An environment conducive to learning should not include students who are HIGH or INTOXICATED in any form.

I dont care if you a fu%$ing genius, you are not above the law. Being in calculus club or the football team sets students apart as representatives of the school. They should not HIGH or JUICED UP in any way. TESTING is a means of preventing that.

For CHRIST sakes people...use your heads.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by BurlySurly
I cant even believe im reading this.

Marijuana (regardless of your personal feelings people) is ILLEGAL.

CHILDREN people....do not need to be smoking MARIJUANA!, or doing any other drugs to begin with. Who cares if you did. Would you want your kid smoking Marijuana? I doubt it.

With that said...School is a place for learning. An environment conducive to learning should not include students who are HIGH or INTOXICATED in any form.

I dont care if you a fu%$ing genius, you are not above the law. Being in calculus club or the football team sets students apart as representatives of the school. They should not HIGH or JUICED UP in any way. TESTING is a means of preventing that.

For CHRIST sakes people...use your heads.

Legalize it.
Then students won't be criminals for smoking a little pot.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by Sideways
Legalize it.
Then students won't be criminals for smoking a little pot.
No, they'll just use it more and learn less. And then when it becomes expensive (the government taxes it) and the novelty wears off, they'll just start doing ecstasy or cocaine or something.

The only definitive way to find out if a student has a drug problem without involving undercover cops is to test them. Stop the student, stop the group, stop the problem, save the school, save education.

Personally, I believe that if a student is going to be abusing any form of drugs, then they don't even deserve the education they are trying to be given, and should be summarily executed; or sent to the military/forced labor camp.

Of course, most of my school strongly disagrees with me.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
No, they'll just use it more and learn less. And then when it becomes expensive (the government taxes it) and the novelty wears off, they'll just start doing ecstasy or cocaine or something.

The only definitive way to find out if a student has a drug problem without involving undercover cops is to test them. Stop the student, stop the group, stop the problem, save the school, save education.

Personally, I believe that if a student is going to be abusing any form of drugs, then they don't even deserve the education they are trying to be given, and should be summarily executed; or sent to the military/forced labor camp.

Of course, most of my school strongly disagrees with me.
Kids who want to smoke pot are going to smoke it regardless of legality.
They enjoy being high, and it has nothing to do with novelty.
The kids who end up using harder drugs have other problems that are not related to drugs themselves, and will not be cured simply by instituting overly strict policy.
In fact, criminalizing these kids will have a greater negative effect on their future.
The idea of a "gateway" drug is pure BS, and has no basis in reality.
Wasting tax payer’s money covering up the evidence of deeper social issues will not have an effect on the problem itself.

Pluck and pull weeds all day, but until the roots are gone, social problems remain.

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
I think you got to look at the problems of society. People do drugs to escape it(not that it will help anything). Weed is in a totally different basket to Cocaine,Ecstacy and all the rest. Let's face it, whatever your view alotta law abiding people smoke weed. Doesn't make it right or help the world, but that is the reality.
Remember Burly Surly alcohol used to be ILLEGAL. I think too often the focus is placed on all the illegal drugs when in reality the biggest killers by far are alcohol and ciggrettes.

For drug education I think they should take students to seedy places and show them the ****ed up drug addicts on the street, instead of saying kids don't do drugs mmmmkay, they're are bad.
:rolleyes:

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I completely agree with everything Sideways is saying. Most of my AP classes have a high number of drug users in them. The straight arrow kids (as Toshi said) have enough pressure as it is, let them blow off a little steam(or smoke, whichever the case may be) Student athletes have it really hard. After seeing my brother's girlfriend completely break down last year, i've realized how much pressure there is. 4.3 student, track scholarship to Stanford...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by amateur
I completely agree with everything Sideways is saying. Most of my AP classes have a high number of drug users in them. The straight arrow kids (as Toshi said) have enough pressure as it is, let them blow off a little steam(or smoke, whichever the case may be) Student athletes have it really hard. After seeing my brother's girlfriend completely break down last year, i've realized how much pressure there is. 4.3 student, track scholarship to Stanford...

I took AP classes in high school as well, and yes...there were some drug users in them......including myself. But, what the christ does that have to do with the problem at hand?
This has nothing to do with allowing kids to blow off steam or become less stressed. I smoked to get HIGH. Plain and simple. How did that benefit my education or personal growth?
It didnt.
DRUGS ARE BAD FOR YOU. There's no one here who can logically argue otherwise. Kids shouldnt do them. Plain and simple. Testing is a means of prevention.

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
someone I go to school with gets tested, he just gets someone else to piss in a bottle for him, takes the bottle to the test then pours it in the cup.
Yes he smokes wayy too much:nope:

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by amateur
I completely agree with everything Sideways is saying. Most of my AP classes have a high number of drug users in them. The straight arrow kids (as Toshi said) have enough pressure as it is, let them blow off a little steam(or smoke, whichever the case may be)
So we reward our best students with the privelige to abuse drugs? What ever happened to watching TV or a movie or reading or riding!

I'll say it again: the point of a school is to provide the best possible education for the students. Drugs have no place in education or in the physical school, because they deter thought processes that are basic for education, and create a hostile environment for criminal activity. If you allow all the AP and honors kids to become addicts, look what kind of education you're cultivating. Not to mention other students who are already having trouble in school.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by fourgivn1
Umm, I know we all know this, but drugs are illegal. (Well, not over the counter drugs, but y'all know what I mean. :)

That being said, I'm all for random drug tests - IF they have a reason to test. For instance, if they've never had problems with drugs, then there's no reason. Now, if they suddenly have a kid wander in one day with red eyes, acting all weird, driving 2 miles an hour, and he's got the munchies big time, that'd be suspicious to me. And if they tested him, and he was positive, I do not think it would be wrong to do random drug tests. Drug tests may be an invasion of privacy, but drugs are illegal.....as soon as you take the drugs, as far as I am concerned, you void your 'right' to privacy as far as those drug tests are concerned.
Dude... your logic is screwed up here..
"as soon as you take the drugs, as far as I am concerned, you void your 'right' to privacy as far as those drug tests are concerned"
:confused: :confused:
OK so how will they KNOW you gave up that right by taking drugs unless you TEST them for it.
It's like a backwards Chicken and the Egg thing.
The only place it would make sense is for people that were convicted of a drug offence already, and then it isn't called a random drug test... it's called PROBATION.:rolleyes:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Yossarian
I am all for random druig testing. I want to know if the drugs I buy are any good or not.
ahhaha wouldn't you be able to tell that after you use em :rolleyes: :confused:

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
So we reward our best students with the privelige to abuse drugs? What ever happened to watching TV or a movie or reading or riding!

I'll say it again: the point of a school is to provide the best possible education for the students. Drugs have no place in education or in the physical school, because they deter thought processes that are basic for education, and create a hostile environment for criminal activity. If you allow all the AP and honors kids to become addicts, look what kind of education you're cultivating. Not to mention other students who are already having trouble in school.
Hostile environment?
The last thing I'd want if I were high would be to get into a fight.
A good number of my classmates and I all did very well high as hell in our AP classes, and came away with a lot more knowlege then we went into them with.
It's appearant that smoking pot has little to do with a students ability to learn.
A large percentage of kids smoke pot frequently enough to get busted should they be tested.
What exactly would be the benefit of a black mark on their record?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hostile environment?
The last thing I'd want if I were high would be to get into a fight.
A good number of my classmates and I all did very well high as hell in our AP classes, and came away with a lot more knowlege then we went into them with.
It's appearant that smoking pot has little to do with a students ability to learn.
A large percentage of kids smoke pot frequently enough to get busted should they be tested.
What exactly would be the benefit of a black mark on their record?

Dude,

The point is not to give someone a black mark on their record. Testing would hopefully deter people from smoking in the first place because it is BAD FOR YOU.

As i said before...just because some smart kids you know smoke doesnt make it okay for everyone. Hell, i smoked too, but now i recognize that it was wrong.

Sideways...you can go on and on about how Pot isnt that bad for you and this and that, but i know if you know alot of smokers than you know at least one BURNOUT. I know you know at least one guy who started with pot and moved on to god knows what else.

Realize that its not about wanting to control people but more to protect them. Think rationally rather than emotionally. It makes sense.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Dude,

The point is not to give someone a black mark on their record. Testing would hopefully deter people from smoking in the first place because it is BAD FOR YOU.

As i said before...just because some smart kids you know smoke doesnt make it okay for everyone. Hell, i smoked too, but now i recognize that it was wrong.

Sideways...you can go on and on about how Pot isnt that bad for you and this and that, but i know if you know alot of smokers than you know at least one BURNOUT. I know you know at least one guy who started with pot and moved on to god knows what else.

Realize that its not about wanting to control people but more to protect them. Think rationally rather than emotionally. It makes sense.
Burly, weed is bad the same way alcohol is bad. Some people can't seem to deal with reality and seek an easy way out. I know people who drink and smoke weed who are ultra functional. Like you said though I know people who use and are completly out of control. I had a good friend got gunned down by a cop, suicide by cop, I think is the term. He started out with beer, then weed, then coke, then meth, and heroin and finally what ever he could get in to his system. I think he was heading towards some sort of violent end from an early age and despite a lot of people trying to intervene the outcome was writen in stone.

Most people I know who smoked weed, grew up, got jobs and mellowed out on usage. They like most people I know have the ability to use alcohol or weed in a casual way. It just didn't become a lifestyle for 'em.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Dude,

Deterring kids from smoking pot through random testing is a backwards means of accomplishing that goal.
It acts on fear, and not reason.
If pot is bad for kids, give them truthful information on the matter.
There are some proven negative effects of smoking pot apart from getting busted.
The practice of using fear to keep a population in line is wrong. Plain and simple.

You say "think rationally rather than emotionally", but I don't believe you really mean those words.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

You say "think rationally rather than emotionally", but I don't believe you really mean those words.
What i mean is really look at the overall situation, not just at how it would relate to you or people you know.

I think plenty of good information is given to kids on why not to use drugs. I know i went through the entire DARE program. I used them anyway. I probably wouldnt have if i were getting tested all the time.

What do you think stops people from killing each other Sideways?

I'd bet in most cases its fear of the law and spending time in Jail or prison. I think its fair to say..."do drugs and pay the consequences."

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ummbikes
Burly, weed is bad the same way alcohol is bad.
I agree:D

Yes...i totally cut your quote. But just to prove a point. If we can see it as both bad and illegal....where's the basis for argument?

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
What i mean is really look at the overall situation, not just at how it would relate to you or people you know.

I think plenty of good information is given to kids on why not to use drugs. I know i went through the entire DARE program. I used them anyway. I probably wouldnt have if i were getting tested all the time.

What do you think stops people from killing each other Sideways?

I'd bet in most cases its fear of the law and spending time in Jail or prison. I think its fair to say..."do drugs and pay the consequences."
I wouldn't want to kill anyone because I would feel really bad about it. (However I wouldn’t rule it out altogether in an extreme situation)
There's a lot of things I choose not to do, not for fear of being caught or suffering social consequence, but instead because my life is more full and rewarding by not doing them.
I don’t need law enforcement to help me make all my decisions.
Laws should be used to support overwhelmingly common social mores.

I don't think that pot is a severe social problem that warrants severe social consequence.
It certainly does not deserve the amount of tax dollars directed towards enforcing marijuana related laws that it receives.
I wonder what medical company will sell the drug tests to public schools.
They'll surly get rich on this one.
I'm glad I got to smoke pot in my HS days without fear of being busted.
I was able to check it out and decide for myself that smoking pot was not terribly fulfilling for me.
I found that riding a bike everyday was a much better release.
But you know what?
Riding a bike everyday kept me well away from my studies through both high school and college.
Is keeping kids focused on school really the issue here?
Maybe they should make sure kids aren't spending excessive time participating in hobbies.
Had they kept me in line and off my bike, I might be working behind a cubical right now, suffering a meaningless life, helping someone else get rich.
Maybe I would be an accountant for Monsanto, typing the Lobbyists salaries on one side, and the income from Roundup sales on the other.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I wouldn't want to kill anyone because I would feel really bad about it. (However I wouldn’t rule it out altogether in an extreme situation)
There's a lot of things I choose not to do, not for fear of being caught or suffering social consequence, but instead because my life is more full and rewarding by not doing them.
I don’t need law enforcement to help me make all my decisions.
Laws should be used to support overwhelmingly common social mores.

I don't think that pot is a severe social problem that warrants severe social consequence.
It certainly does not deserve the amount of tax dollars directed towards enforcing marijuana related laws that it receives.
I wonder what medical company will sell the drug tests to public schools.
They'll surly get rich on this one.
I'm glad I got to smoke pot in my HS days without fear of being busted.
I was able to check it out and decide for myself that smoking pot was not terribly fulfilling for me.
I found that riding a bike everyday was a much better release.
But you know what?
Riding a bike everyday kept me well away from my studies through both high school and college.
Is keeping kids focused on school really the issue here?
Maybe they should make sure kids aren't spending excessive time participating in hobbies.
Had they kept me in line and off my bike, I might be working behind a cubical right now, suffering a meaningless life, helping someone else get rich.
Maybe I would be an accountant for Monsanto, typing the Lobbyists salaries on one side, and the income from Roundup sales on the other.

Your life history is interesting and all, but it doesnt change any of the facts.

Kids dont need to be on drugs.
Testing will at least make them think twice.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Your life history is interesting and all, but it doesnt change any of the facts.

Kids dont need to be on drugs.
Testing will at least make them think twice.
Don't you think your tax dollars could be spent on education in more meaningful ways?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Don't you think your tax dollars could be spent on education in more meaningful ways?
Yes,

I think more money should be put into computer labs than into pads for the football team. I think more money should go into the library than into the pockets of those who sit on the school boards. There are alot of things I'd like to see change, but i also think that if we dont dedicate dollars to drug prevention early on, we'll simply be paying them later by keeping inmates that used to be our kids alive in prison.
We'll be paying tax dollars for the government supplied attorneys in their court cases. We'll be paying out of pocket when we have to bail one of them out of jail. And we'll be paying with our emotions when one of them kills a loved one in a traffic accident.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
There are alot of things I'd like to see change, but i also think that if we dont dedicate dollars to drug prevention early on, we'll simply be paying them later by keeping inmates that used to be our kids alive in prison.
We'll be paying tax dollars for the government supplied attorneys in their court cases. We'll be paying out of pocket when we have to bail one of them out of jail. And we'll be paying with our emotions when one of them kills a loved one in a traffic accident.
Me thinks that we already do all of that even with extensive amounts of ant-drug propaganda being pumped into chool children. Maybe the money would be better spent educating parents on how to educate the children.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Me thinks that we already do all of that even with extensive amounts of ant-drug propaganda being pumped into chool children. Maybe the money would be better spent educating parents on how to educate the children.
Maybe...

I dunno, I would agree that education is undoubtedly the key to all of this, but I also see no problem with testing students. Just because they know something is wrong may not stop them from doing it. Perhaps the fear of getting "busted" will work a little better.
Personally, If i had children, I wouldnt be upset about my kids being tested because (a) I would have nothing to worry about or (b) it would alert me of a problem that needs to seriously be addressed.
I dont want my kids making the same mistakes i did.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I dont want my kids making the same mistakes i did.
They will learn from their mistakes, not yours. Kids need to figure stuff out on their own, and they need to learn from their own experiences. Having someone tell you something is bad, no matter how much that is repeated is not going to alleviate any curiosity someone may have.

If people are taught responsibility, then the rest will follow.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Tenchiro
They will learn from their mistakes, not yours. Kids need to figure stuff out on their own, and they need to learn from their own experiences. Having someone tell you something is bad, no matter how much that is repeated is not going to alleviate any curiosity someone may have.

If people are taught responsibility, then the rest will follow.
I dont have to kill someone to know that its a mistake.
Ive seen the consequences, and dont really need to experience it myself regardless of how curious i may be.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I like where this is going, we talked a lot this last quarter in my class about how people should be governed and if we have any right to dictate morality.

The fact is there are people who can rise above casual drug use and lead productive lives. Bill Clinton smoked weed, Bush Jr. used coke, and alcohol. The people who can lead, pesuade, and influence the masses will always do so. Drugs or no drugs.

Like my deceased friend there are those who simply lack the internal ability to progress and so they do not.

If put more government control on things it just creates more government control on things...

It just doesn't work.

Some people will always be leaders, and most will be the great masses of people who follow. Checking to see if they smoke weed will not change who they are and what course in life they will follow.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by fourgivn1

That being said, I'm all for random drug tests - IF they have a reason to test.
Then it wouldn't be a random test, would it?

What you're describing currently exists. It's called "probable cause" and schools use it all the time.
--------
Kids who don't find drugs in highschool will find them in college.

Kids who are sheltered from any and all drug use grow up with a lack of understanding and sympathy for drug users often bordering on hate and disgust.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Eddie420
kids with hard line strict ass parents are usually the ones that go hit the drugs hardest.
:angry:
Honestly...not being a smartass, but...how does this relate, and is this something you learned from personal experience or are there facts that back this up.

Because......I'd have to disagree.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Well I've been away eating Christmas leftovers but now I'm back in the fray. A couple responses:

Yes. I totally agree. Some schools don't need drug tests because drugs are not enough of a problem for them. Some do. In situations where the drug tests would help a school more than other supplies, they will be overwhelmingly used. And I can tell you right now, it will help most schools more than some new Integrated Mathematics III textbooks by Keenan and Dressler.

Originally posted by ohio

Kids who don't find drugs in highschool will find them in college.

Kids who are sheltered from any and all drug use grow up with a lack of understanding and sympathy for drug users often bordering on hate and disgust.
Kids who learn that drugs are wrong and learn how to avoid them as well as knowing that there is an environemnt in whicc you can be happy even if drugs don't exist will keep them off drugs in college.

Kids who are sheltered from drugs will have a lack of sympathy for criminals and idiots who abuse their bodies and place other people in danger. Thats OK by me.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ok well here's the view of someone who is still in high school and has seen high school from both views of an inner city school and the subs. random drug testing is absurd. it is totally not necessary. there should be things that the schools should be more worried about like actually teaching then whether or not students are dappling in drugs. both my parents were littered in drugs, my mom stopped not to long before she was pregnant w/ me but i remember for a long time my dad chiefin out. so for me i was not sheltered about things of these nature. however growing up in the neighorhood i grew up w/ in atlanta many of the kids i grew up w/ their parents were very sheltering and didn't really expose their kids to much of anything. many of them now are complete addicts. every time i go back up to atlanta to hang out w/ one of my friends almost all of his friends are trying to find a way to get ****ed up. it's really kinda sad to be honest. my exposure to this stuff at a young age made me realize that this was something i didn't want to really get involved in. i'll openly admit that i've done some stuff. never smoked, never will, however i have done escasty once and speed once. once was enough to make me realize that it wasn't what i want to be involved in. for some odd reason i tink the usage of drugs seemed to be more of a problem then the school i go to. i think partly b/c of how much the kids i grew up w/ were sheltered. now don't get me wrong there are a lot of durgs going around at the school i currently go to. not as many or as hard core as the drugs going around teh school i would have been going to in atlanta. the main thing that goes around my school is weed (pot) which isn't nearly as serious as coke, estacy, crystal meth., acid.......which are all things floating around where my buddy goes. and i don't think by doing a drug test it's going to stop many kids from doing what they are already doing. many will just quit whatever activity it may be b/c many EC activities aren't that important to most kids.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Sideways: It is a societal problem. A society is made of people, and when one person has a problem that affects anyone else, it becomes a societal problem.

Indieboy: Your situation is exactly what we are trying to eliminate by having drugs thrown out of our schools. You and I spend most of our time at school, and we both know that it's where most kids deal. I advocate that testing be for everything, not just extracurriculars. If you know that you're going to get caught and that your parents will be told and that you might be arrested and will have it on your permanent record, most kids won't do drugs.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Sideways: It is a societal problem. A society is made of people, and when one person has a problem that affects anyone else, it becomes a societal problem.
Theres no problem with marijuna as you describe.
Therefore marijuana use is not a societal problem.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

Indieboy: Your situation is exactly what we are trying to eliminate by having drugs thrown out of our schools. You and I spend most of our time at school, and we both know that it's where most kids deal. I advocate that testing be for everything, not just extracurriculars. If you know that you're going to get caught and that your parents will be told and that you might be arrested and will have it on your permanent record, most kids won't do drugs.

um not here, where i go to school the kids really could care less about what their parents think, and permanent records aren't going to make these kids blink twice.......and if i had to go through the situation i have gone through i'd do it. i think it made me a better person.....don't regret it one bit......

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Honestly...not being a smartass, but...how does this relate, and is this something you learned from personal experience or are there facts that back this up.

Because......I'd have to disagree.
Ya i agree silly comment I take it back...my excuse is that I'm really tired and suffering from bike withdrawals, I cracked my rim, all the mechanics are on hols and can't build me a new wheel.
:stupid: :D

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Sideways: Marijuana hinders your ability to aid society. Take this for example: One of my friends and I are standing at the top of a downhill chute. We are discussing lines. We both agree that this certain line, which includes a sharp turn and a big drop with little room for error is too dangerous to try at high speed. Now two hours later, he has been smoking weed. He comes down the course, and takes the exact line that we said no. He almost clips his rear wheel on a rock and then hits the drop, coming about one inch from smashing into a tree at full speed. He's a good nough rider to pull it off. Most of us aren't. If he were to get hurt, he would be sitting in a hospital, wasting supplies and time that could be benefitting someone who wasn's using drugs. Now I know you're gonna say "well mt. biking itself is dangerous, should we have random tests for that?" My response to this is: Yes, it's dangerous. So is driving a car. So is cleaning out my gutters. When you add drugs to the equation, you make it much more dangerous, and even make it more dangerous for the people around you (certain drugs). I think we can agree that if there were no drugs, many unfortuante events would not occur.

Indieboy: Thank you for joining this thread. You have shed light on an important aspect that the rest of us were ignoring. Indieboy shows us that we're not discussing an ideal world where kids will drop drugs immediately for fear of tests or as a result of tests. He depicts a society in which individuals are indifferent to their eductaion, where they are content to wallow in the slime of ignorance and drug-induced mirages. Here, we don't need school-wide drug tests. We need a police force. We need responsible parents. This is when we need to call in a Cincinnatus. Solve the problem somehow. Anyhow. Get the kids off the streets and into the libraries. (unless they are riding urban, which is ok)

However, your situation only adds to the argument for testing kids involved in extra curriculars. There are students in your school, including yourself, who aspire to be something more than what they are surrounded by. Correct me if I'm wrong. For these students, extracurricular activities are a place where they should be able to be safe from the drugs, and only be with other students who also want to better themselves. Make it the model of an ideal society.

Now I'm tired, but keep your rebuttals coming. It's 3v1 and dammit, BurlySurly I need backup! send the APC of morals and value!

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Sideways: Marijuana hinders your ability to aid society. Take this for example: One of my friends and I are standing at the top of a downhill chute. We are discussing lines. We both agree that this certain line, which includes a sharp turn and a big drop with little room for error is too dangerous to try at high speed. Now two hours later, he has been smoking weed. He comes down the course, and takes the exact line that we said no. He almost clips his rear wheel on a rock and then hits the drop, coming about one inch from smashing into a tree at full speed. He's a good nough rider to pull it off. Most of us aren't. If he were to get hurt, he would be sitting in a hospital, wasting supplies and time that could be benefitting someone who wasn's using drugs. Now I know you're gonna say "well mt. biking itself is dangerous, should we have random tests for that?" My response to this is: Yes, it's dangerous. So is driving a car. So is cleaning out my gutters. When you add drugs to the equation, you make it much more dangerous, and even make it more dangerous for the people around you (certain drugs). I think we can agree that if there were no drugs, many unfortuante events would not occur.
I think you are a little confused about the effects of marijuana.
Folks are a lot less likely to engage in risky behavior when high.
Smoking pot is not dangerous.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think you are a little confused about the effects of marijuana.
Folks are a lot less likely to engage in risky behavior when high.
Smoking pot is not dangerous.

Im sorry.......did you actually say that?

I think anything that slows my decision making process is a bit dangerous, not to mention the longterm effects. Driving while high (regardless of any stupid example about being aware you may try to give) is dangerous.

The loss of short term memory, and the introduction of foreign chemicals into the lungs and bloodstream that can cause, among other things CANCER, to me is slightly dangerous.

Now...go ahead and say it...."Well its not as bad a cigarettes and yada yada yad"

BullSh@#, cigarettes dont impede judgement.

prisspringle

Chimp
Dec 11, 2001
uk, scarborough
i see there are many differant views and there are many differant experiances, my town 10 yrs ago was relatively nice looking not that much crime but looking at the present thats starting to chance for the worst, theres at least one drugy dieing a week u can walk down teh high street and point out atleast 1 or 2, crime has risen dramaticly in the past yrs, ok that might not be related to drugs but i wouldn't be suppriced,from my place of work just before we moved i could of gone to about 3 homes that i could of easly bought drugs from, these homes are only down the road and i really mean that from the police station, my friends have done and still do drugs quite often some have no ill effects and live a normal life others for one resson or another have taken a downhill ride which i hope they will pull out of, now bk on subject of random drugs test, here in the uk theres been words of this happening but no REAL plans to do it, my personal opinion is to only test posable risk areas, during my last yrs at school partys were thrown with the deliberate means to get drunk and take drugs, these areas are now getting to be more brought age wish younger and younger kids are taken drugs, tho these areas are from backgrounds where unemployment,drug use and alchol abusment have been part of there lives,i think this problem has many differant solusions and pitfalls and only time will tell if the right one is picked, personaly i'm all for legalising drugs altho only once u'r adult and a limit to how much u can by at a time or per week, this would help remove some of teh cr@p that drug dealers can and do put in the mix of some drugs some can be more harmfull then the drug its self,if u look at where it is legal aka holland theres still problems with additicon but they will be in a better posion to deal with it than we are as they've had more time to, i think we need to let kids choose there own destany and learn from there own mistakes but also tell them before hand wot the risk are, yes this may lead to ppl with problems but look at alcohol and cigarets (sp?) thats just as bad if not worse yet thats ok now since its legal to drink it, even if they totaly get rid of which i dowt they ever will the whole of society will not get rid of problems people will move on to other things wot ever they maybe.

thats my personal feeling on the subject some may not like or agree but thats life people have diferant feelings and ideas.

priss