Quantcast

Random food pics

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The thing is. I know you don't want to hear this. The crust on a deepdish pie is thinner then a regular pie. As the weight of the filling prevents the crust from rising. that and they run it through a machine. It is still scratch mix dough. Just the same as any other pie. I like my pies to have a top like Peqouds.
Mine:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The thing is. I know you don't want to hear this. The crust on a deepdish pie is thinner then a regular pie. As the weight of the filling prevents the crust from rising. that and they run it through a machine. It is still scratch mix dough. Just the same as any other pie. I like my pies to have a top like Peqouds.
Mine:
a. Peqouds was/is amazing. No doubt.
b. Giordano's, as corporate as they've become, makes amazing pie. They use a top crust too, it's just very thin.
3. I'd take either right now. Can't get a great pizza to save my life in CO.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
b. Giordano's, as corporate as they've become, makes amazing pie. They use a top crust too, it's just very thin.
I agree with you on Giordanos. The one on Navy Pier is a fun time. Highly recommend.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend Angela is moving back to the States. Her next project is a Pizza/Bistro in Denver. If any of her other endeavors are an indicator. Denver better prepare itself for her.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
there could be a dedicated tamale thread and i'd be ok with that.
good tamales are better than that Mexican weather girl on telemundo.

edit ... SS, La Popular on Lawrence :drool:

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
After cleaning the plate with chicken fried steak in record time, I finished off the pancake with a mountain of whip cream and syrup. Judge me, I have no ragrets and I had a great nap afterwards.
IMG_2438.JPG

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Care to share your chicken fried steak recipe? I make a good gravy. Just fail on the steak part. Thanks... Jim
Sorry my dude Jim, I wasn't exaggerating much when I said I run out of culinary talent past Top Ramen. I suck at cooking, I just know where to find good food (my standard is low, I might add). I'd be happy to give you pointers on how to wheelie though :)

I had that meal at Gee Cee's truck stop in Castle Rock, WA. One of very few old-school independent truck stops left, not bought out by TA/Petro/Pilot/Flying J/Love's. They have surprisingly good food for a truck stop.

I will say I'm somewhat picky how chicken fried steak is cooked. I like it fried in scorching hot oil just long enough to make the outside crunchy, but short enough that it doesn't get greasy and heavy. I'd like to try CFS and/or Japanese style Tonkatsu with meat that's been sous-vide'd.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Chivito sandwich at Arugula Deli in Idaho Falls.

IMG_2535.jpg

Copy&past from their menu...
Grilled skirt steak + ham + bacon + green olives + caramelized onions + grilled red bell peppers + mozzarella cheese + lettuce + tomatoes + fried free-range egg + mayonnaise + house made chimichurri sauce + house made ciabatta bread

Cunape was excellent as well, cheesy, soft & chewy.

IMG_2534.jpg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Chivito sandwich at Arugula Deli in Idaho Falls.

View attachment 135658

Copy&past from their menu...
Grilled skirt steak + ham + bacon + green olives + caramelized onions + grilled red bell peppers + mozzarella cheese + lettuce + tomatoes + fried free-range egg + mayonnaise + house made chimichurri sauce + house made ciabatta bread

Cunape was excellent as well, cheesy, soft & chewy.

View attachment 135680
I am mad at Idaho Falls right now, I have to go there tomorrow.
Where is this place?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

Heritage pork chops from the Fatted Calf in SF. Not cheap but amazing how real pork tastes compared to the bland crap you get at most supermarkets (and restaurants). Was too hungry for the "after" pic, but these were seared to a dark brown (med rare interior) and finished with a peach/onion/honey/bourbon pan sauce. Gawdamn!!