Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So, I just made my finest pizzas at home to date. The dough recipe is spot on (I have been using it for a year now).

The only reason that I mention it is that Hormel (yeah, corporate) came out with cup and char pepperoni. It was really good.
sorry we ate too fast for pics.
Hot sausage, cup pepperoni, ricotta, mozzarella, and basil...
10 minutes at 550° on a stone? :rofl:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I only use that recipe for the dough, fuck the actual pizza.
but my oven does only go to 550. Usually around 7 minutes?
i have no idea, I cook it ‘until it is done’

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I only use that recipe for the dough, fuck the actual pizza.
but my oven does only go to 550. Usually around 7 minutes?
i have no idea, I cook it ‘until it is done’
Yea when I'm dealing with homemade dough it's 5-7 minutes depending on amount of toppings

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The basic recipe for those lamb shanks is so easy and they are so friggin' good. Brown them in a dutch oven in olive oil and a healthy dose of salt. Cover and cook at 275 - 300 degrees for 3 - 4 hours, or until super tender. Turn 'em a couple of times but otherwise you can leave them alone. When they're ready, uncover and crank the oven up to get a little crispy/browning thing going, then serve. That's really it.

Options: (1) Glaze with veal demi-glace during the browning, for that sticky icky goodness, like a high-brow version of carmelizing bbq sauce after hours of slow cooking. (2) A simple wine de-glaze works fine for plate lubricant, but if you want a more substantial sauce, add a few shallots, a carrot or two, and some whole garlic cloves to the pot for the slow cook. When the shanks are done, remove to another pan and keep warm. De-glaze the pan with a little red wine, then add some beef or lamb stock. Bring to a boil then hit it with a hand blender.

If you have leftover lamb and sauce, the pasta is a simple as sauteeing a pile of greens with a little garlic, adding lamb to heat and crisp up, then tossing with pasta, the sauce, and some hard cheese like parm. And yes that's a wok. :drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
If you have leftover lamb and sauce, the pasta is a simple as sauteeing a pile of greens with a little garlic, adding lamb to heat and crisp up, then tossing with pasta, the sauce, and some hard cheese like parm. And yes that's a wok. :drool:
Is that a flat-bottom wok? Since the new range is induction, I'm going to need to replace my old wok with a flat-bottomed version... and looking for suggestions.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No, old round bottom wok. My stove (Blue Star) has removable grates and basically any burner can work as a wok burner. I use it for all kinds of stuff, but actually, rarely Asian food.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Holy shit - I'm gonna have to be real careful until I figure out how to use this induction shit. Put my cast iron on the burner and turned it on Hi and that damn pan was sizzling drops of water in about 30 seconds. :panic:

I fucking despise how long my glass top oven takes to do anything.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I probably would have gone gas had there been a line running over to the range location... although from all reports, induction is on-par with gas for cooking. Besides the "specific cookware" requirement. And the price. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I fucking despise how long my glass top oven takes to do anything.
I have a glass top one too. Its heats up pretty fast, but doesn't seem to transfer that heat quickly to whatever is on the burner.

And its takes a super long time to cool down.

And heaven forbid a drop of food or water spills on it when on, either the fire alarm is going off or that stuff is getting caked on permanently.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a glass top one too. Its heats up pretty fast, but doesn't seem to transfer that heat quickly to whatever is on the burner.

And its takes a super long time to cool down.

And heaven forbid a drop of food or water spills on it when on, either the fire alarm is going off or that stuff is getting caked on permanently.
Yeah, It heats up quickly, the pan does not. If I need to boil anything I use my electric teapot to get the water up to temperature first.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I personally still love the control of natural gas, partly because I've got a stove that really cranks the BTU's and partly because some of my go-to cookware wouldn't work with induction. But if I were limited to electric I'd definitely go induction. It's science!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Go to the Crik. Catch some Trout's. Fillet them. Take them home. Heat up your pan. Cook some bacon. After that throw some butter in the pan with some Shallots. Some Sherry. Put the trout's and bacon on a plate with the shallots on top.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
To be cooked...

Le steak

Le taters (seasoned by the market noted below). I wish yall could smell these!

Not pictured are a bunch of mushrooms grilled with sliced garlic and grilled zucchini.

Finally had time to go to this tiny little market near here. 10/10 will be returning. Not much selection, but a huge butcher counter, super fresh veg and homemade stuff. Lots of hot sauces too. And a small bakery to boot. Lovely people working there as well.