Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Mom left me her recipes. I found one for Soup Meatballs. Basically equal parts ground Pork and Beef, sautéed Red Peppers, and the usual business. Except for a fuckton of Paprika and fresh ground Ginger. I cooked them in a skillet and finished them in the oven. They taste like the inside of a Chinese Dumpling. I do not remember my Mom making them. Crazy good.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Greek roast chx thighs rice bowl from a few nights ago.

Onion turkey meatballs, sriracha veggie heavy red sauce, broccoli with three cheese tortellini for work last night.

20211110_153647.jpg
20211112_164518.jpg

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Reverse sear is great if you have the time and don't mind the faffing. I feel the same way about sous vide, although I'll admit that both (particularly sous vide) are great for bigger groups. The ability to bring meat to a specific temp and hold it there until needed with SV is especially awesome. But yeah, either way ya want something super hot to finish. I like to do it in pre-heated cast iron, basting in butter and flipping often.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Reverse sear is great if you have the time and don't mind the faffing. I feel the same way about sous vide, although I'll admit that both (particularly sous vide) are great for bigger groups. The ability to bring meat to a specific temp and hold it there until needed with SV is especially awesome. But yeah, either way ya want something super hot to finish. I like to do it in pre-heated cast iron, basting in butter and flipping often.
Just curious - what's the faffing? Putting the meat in the oven early? Or the wait required to get it up to temp?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just curious - what's the faffing? Putting the meat in the oven early? Or the wait required to get it up to temp?
Not a big deal but extra time, extra dishes, using the oven when not needed, etc. Just not necessary when I can get great results on the grill or stovetop. I'm usually cooking for two and try to keep it as simple as possible - I actually kinda like the challenge of being efficient with time and clean up. I'll grant that it's fun to experiment, and that there's always more to learn. And I can definitely see the advantages for bigger groups, or more complicated meals where you're trying to get a bunch of things done at the same time. But this is one of those things that I've tried several times and for the most part, I don't see enough advantage to bother with it every time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Not a big deal but extra time, extra dishes, using the oven when not needed, etc. Just not necessary when I can get great results on the grill or stovetop. I'm usually cooking for two and try to keep it as simple as possible - I actually kinda like the challenge of being efficient with time and clean up. I'll grant that it's fun to experiment, and that there's always more to learn. And I can definitely see the advantages for bigger groups, or more complicated meals where you're trying to get a bunch of things done at the same time. But this is one of those things that I've tried several times and for the most part, I don't see enough advantage to bother with it every time.
Sounds pretty reasonable. I'm still gonna give it a go and see what it's all about... for science. :homer:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damn. I usually pull out when the therm says 120F for medium rare. :D
You don't get as much carry-over temperature increase with reverse sear or sous vide, so you can pull it closer to desired temp. But still, I agree 150 is a bit high for my tastes, particularly if you plan on a proper high temp sear, which will bring internal temp up a bit, especially on thinner cuts.

I'm still gonna give it a go and see what it's all about... for science. :homer:
Definitely give it a try. Good info here: The Reverse Sear Is the Best Way to Cook a Steak, Period | The Food Lab (seriouseats.com)

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Road Food
I honestly never thought that a pizza shop could make a pizza this bad and still be in business.
Crossing the midwest, we were hungry, the overnight stop with the horse has nothing nearby. We browsed the net and found a pizza place near our stop with good reviews. We were in St Peters MO a suburb of St Louis. we ordered Pepperoni and green olive. Stopped for fuel then went to get the pizza and then headed off to drop off the horse and the stabling and settle in for the night in the camper.
Now to the "Pizza" I think
IMG_20211119_184906362.jpg
IMG_20211119_184920869.jpg
the crust came from the cans of pizza dough in the market freezer. square and paper thin. the toppings were what I expected but... holy hell they used Velveeta for the cheese. So disgustingly horrible. I brought home a few slices as proof of how bad it was

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Road Food
I honestly never thought that a pizza shop could make a pizza this bad and still be in business.
Crossing the midwest, we were hungry, the overnight stop with the horse has nothing nearby. We browsed the net and found a pizza place near our stop with good reviews. We were in St Peters MO a suburb of St Louis. we ordered Pepperoni and green olive. Stopped for fuel then went to get the pizza and then headed off to drop off the horse and the stabling and settle in for the night in the camper.
Now to the "Pizza" I thinkView attachment 167682View attachment 167683 the crust came from the cans of pizza dough in the market freezer. square and paper thin. the toppings were what I expected but... holy hell they used Velveeta for the cheese. So disgustingly horrible. I brought home a few slices as proof of how bad it was
First time experiencing Midwestern cuisine, I presume? :rofl:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
tonights creation:
All from Scratch
Garlic Fettuccini: King Arthur organic flour, 2 organic eggs, kosher salt, garlic powder
The sauce: Diced Tomato's, sliced olives, red onion, sliced and coarsely chopped red bell pepper, garlic, sliced baby bella mushrooms, spices, topped with a light sprinkling of Parmesan.
2021_1121_17371600_2.jpg

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Roast garlic,turkey bacon and butternut squash sauce over pasta. Shaved red onion and parmesan on top.

Side of roast cauliflower with S&P, garlic, cumin.
20211122_165810.jpg
20211122_163658.jpg