Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
No money shot? We need to see how well you did or how poor you did.
I have a rule about taking pictures of my food once I've sat down to eat... But full disclosure, these were not my best work. Tender and tasty, but more done than I'd like, despite pulling them off the grill at 125-130ish (!?).

I need to invest in a dedicated burner for searing. The big downside to my gas grill (Weber Spirit 2-burner), is that the lid needs to remain closed to maintain searing temperatures, so it's really cooking the meat while it sears, rather than just giving it the "surface treatment" I'm looking for. I like to use a hot Weber kettle for searing, but it's a PITA to set up only to use for a few minutes. Cast iron on the stovetop is always good too, but then my house smells like steak for long after I've lost the desire for steak.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Cast iron on the stovetop is always good too, but then my house smells like steak for long after I've lost the desire for steak.
I hear you. My Weber gas grill is lousy for a good sear and I’m not burning 5lbs of charcoal for a few steaks. I have a blackstone that does a pretty good job but I usually have that packed away in my camper.
The first thing i did when I moved into my latest house was install a 375 CFM hood vent over my gas range for cooking bacon, burning steaks and frying shit. :headbang:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Who the fuck am I kidding? I don't cook anymore. I made wings on the grill today. Thought I was all badass. Well let's just say I have a fuckton of leftover wings. Salads all gone. Had to Break out the hotdogs for the kids.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Have you tried S&W mayo? I think it is a bit nicer than the Hellman's, love it in some mashed egg with some salt, pepper and herbs. Iceberg lettuce hit $10ea over here so no egg and lettuce sandwiches for a little while, hahaha!

Moroccan chicken burger night.
That looks great!

Nope. We use Hellman's as it's Mrs. Scrub's favorite. They make a "homestyle" version with a higher percentage of egg content.We get that when available!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have a rule about taking pictures of my food once I've sat down to eat... But full disclosure, these were not my best work. Tender and tasty, but more done than I'd like, despite pulling them off the grill at 125-130ish (!?).

I need to invest in a dedicated burner for searing. The big downside to my gas grill (Weber Spirit 2-burner), is that the lid needs to remain closed to maintain searing temperatures, so it's really cooking the meat while it sears, rather than just giving it the "surface treatment" I'm looking for. I like to use a hot Weber kettle for searing, but it's a PITA to set up only to use for a few minutes. Cast iron on the stovetop is always good too, but then my house smells like steak for long after I've lost the desire for steak.
Yeah sous vide is great, especially when cooking for a crowd, but a fast hot sear is critical. Pulling 'em out of the bath at a lower temp would probably work, but personally if were faced with that, I'd skip the hassle and and just grill them start to finish.

Really though, sounds like you're serious enough that you need a new hood vent AND a new gas grill. :greedy:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Yeah sous vide is great, especially when cooking for a crowd, but a fast hot sear is critical. Pulling 'em out of the bath at a lower temp would probably work, but personally if were faced with that, I'd skip the hassle and and just grill them start to finish.

Really though, sounds like you're serious enough that you need a new hood vent AND a new gas grill. :greedy:
Yep. My favorite "feature" of sous vide is that you can get multiple cuts of varying thickness up to a consistent temperature, rather than the thicker cuts being cooler than the thinner cuts, which is why I opted to use it this time. Helps when you're trying to finish everything around the same time.

I pulled the steaks out of the bath at 118, but it's always a bit of a guessing game as when where they will finish on the gas grill by the time a decent crust has developed. A dedicated sear burner would solve that problem nicely...

It was worth every penny. I do wish I hired someone, I did the install my self. :disgust::bonk:
I'm now shopping around for a new range hood. Looks like finding anything above 300 cfm near me may be a challenge so far.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^^Good idea, especially for smaller groups. If however the idea is to sous vide a bunch of food for a crowd and then sear quickly, I think he still needs a better gas grill. Otherwise he's searing smaller portions in a pan.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
An idea would be a portable induction burner that you could use with your cast iron pan outside. Something like this:
Something like that would probably be ideal; practical and affordable.

^^^Good idea, especially for smaller groups. If however the idea is to sous vide a bunch of food for a crowd and then sear quickly, I think he still needs a better gas grill. Otherwise he's searing smaller portions in a pan.
I hear you. For most of what I do, a small burner would work out well enough. If I'm feeding a lot of people, there's usually many large chunks of meat (pork butt, ribs) on the smoker and/or cuts that are more forgiving to a less than prefect sear (tri-tip, for example).

But, I'm an American, so the terrorists win if I don't buy a larger grill.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
But, I'm an American, so the terrorists win if I don't buy a larger grill.
Same in Australia, people try to tell me how great the Weber Family Qs are, then I swear at them.
I can barely cook for three on a much larger four burner grill, no way I could cook a decent meal on a Q.
My sister sells Webers and she knows not to mention them around me, hahaha!

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Same in Australia, people try to tell me how great the Weber Family Qs are, then I swear at them.
I can barely cook for three on a much larger four burner grill, no way I could cook a decent meal on a Q.
My sister sells Webers and she knows not to mention them around me, hahaha!
The Spirit 2-burner does a great job for quick things like burgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts/thighs, etc. It's big enough for most of what I do, and it's well made. It's just absolute garbage in the searing department. I think I'm pulling the trigger on a induction burner like the one Shtles posted.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The Spirit 2-burner does a great job for quick things like burgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts/thighs, etc. It's big enough for most of what I do, and it's well made. It's just absolute garbage in the searing department. I think I'm pulling the trigger on a induction burner like the one Shtles posted.
Yeah they don't sell very well over here but that is a much better grill than a Q.
My brother had one of these little Beef Eaters(he's now vegan) and it was great, the rack went up with the hood so you didn't have to battle with it at the back of the grill when flipping things.
1656081974412.png

His didn't have the side burner.
EDIT- The rack didn't go up with the hood but was up nice and high, the hood didn't hinge at the rear so you could have it up against the wall.

I've been toying with the idea of making a BBQ from a stainless 44 Gallon drum, the last drum one I did was way better on gas than my current grill.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Sorry Guy’s,I do not have the Final shot of this Fine Lamb when it was done. It was for a Catholic Church Festival held every year by my old house. He works for a Private shop.

My son is a Butcher and I am proud of him. He sent this to me not long ago.

Avy

Attachments