Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
First attempt. Shrimp Chow Mein
It was tasty. I mostly followed the recipe suggestions. Made my own egg noodles, they came out great. However they were too thin for my liking. Next time I will make them thicker using the #2 setting n the pasta roller vs #4. I need to add some other veggies and some nuts (this had green onions, carrots, sugar peas, baby bok choy, shredded green cabbage, fresh garlic and ginger, sliced celery) The sauce was a mixture of Soy sauce, Oyster Sauce, Sesame oil, spicy sesame oil, brown sugar and cornstarch

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
First attempt. Shrimp Chow Mein
It was tasty. I mostly followed the recipe suggestions. Made my own egg noodles, they came out great. However they were too thin for my liking. Next time I will make them thicker using the #2 setting n the pasta roller vs #4. I need to add some other veggies and some nuts (this had green onions, carrots, sugar peas, baby bok choy, shredded green cabbage, fresh garlic and ginger, sliced celery) The sauce was a mixture of Soy sauce, Oyster Sauce, Sesame oil, spicy sesame oil, brown sugar and cornstarch
Nice prep. I have the same exact cutting board.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Roast cauliflower, yellow onion, potatoes. Green peas. McDonnell curry (embellished with more spicy curry & coconut milk)

20230221_170759.jpg

Spicy pan fried ostrich tacos. Scallions, slaw, pickled jalapeños, radish.

20230222_173036.jpg

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I did this recipe, added the sausage and onions. 2nd time making it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Oh this hit the spot

Stuffed Passilla Peppers.

Softened the deveined deseeded peppers by simmering them in hot water for 10 minutes. The filling is diced marinated chicken breast seared in a skillet, Basmati rice, diced tomatoes, diced baby bella mushrooms sauteed in butter and chopped garlic, Dubliner white cheddar cheese. I baked them upright for 30 minutes at 350 and served with Guacamole and plain Greek yogurt.
20230301_175958~2.jpg
20230301_180037~2.jpg

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I do LOVE me some 'chowdah...

And I err.... "resemble" this remark:

“The lower the metabolic rate, the more likely the species you belong to will survive,” Bruce Lieberman, the study’s co-leader, said in a statement at the time.

“Instead of survival of the fittest, maybe a better metaphor for the history of life is survival of the laziest, or at least survival of the sluggish,” Lieberman said

+++++

Abra-clam Lincoln:
1677944439014.png

Aber-clam Lincoln, a quahog clam believed to be 214 years old, was released into the Gulf of Mexico last week by his caretakers at the Gulf Specimen Marine Lab.

Americorps member Blaine Parker dug up the 2-century-old mollusk at Florida's Alligator Point, while collecting shellfish to make chowder.

Parker said the clam is hefty enough to make two servings – and has shells large enough to use as bowls to serve it in.

“We were just going to eat it, but we thought about it a while and figured it was probably pretty special. So, we didn’t want to kill it,” Parker said.

Instead, he took it to the aquarium at the Gulf Specimen Marine Lab, where he works as a specimen collector.

While most Ocean quahogs are 2.8 to 4.3 inches long and weigh up to a half pound, Lincoln checks in at 6 inches and weighs 2.6 pounds.

Parker said a clam, like a tree, lays down annual growth bands, alternating bands of light on its shell, which scientists used to estimate its age.

There are 214 layers on the shell of the clam he found, which would mean it was probably born in 1809 – the same year as Abraham Lincoln. It was also discovered on Presidents Day weekend. So, Parker named his find Aber-clam Lincoln.

What are Quahog clams?
Blaine Parker poses with a quahog clam believed to be 214 years old found at Alligator Point that he found during President’s Day Weekend.

Blaine Parker poses with a quahog clam believed to be 214 years old found at Alligator Point that he found during President’s Day Weekend.
Quahogs are found in the Atlantic from Greenland south to North Carolina.

They move about by being tossed in the surf and crawl along the sand by expanding and contracting their muscle.

With Lincoln being so old, it is possible that circumstances moved him south, – making him one of the oldest known Florida transplants.

Quahogs are known to live 200 or more years. A 507-year-old clam, found in the Icelandic seabed and named Ming, broke the Guinness World Record for oldest animal when it was discovered in 2007.

A dented shell provides hints of Aber-clam Lincoln's migration from the North Atlantic to the shores of the Panhandle Coast. the quahog clam age is estimated at 214 years
Scientists believe incredible low metabolic rates of Lincoln and other quahogs are responsible for their long lives. A 2018 University of Kansas study on the energy needs of 299 species of extinct and living bivalves found those with minimal energy requirements escaped extinction.

“The lower the metabolic rate, the more likely the species you belong to will survive,” Bruce Lieberman, the study’s co-leader, said in a statement at the time.

“Instead of survival of the fittest, maybe a better metaphor for the history of life is survival of the laziest, or at least survival of the sluggish,” Lieberman said.

'Survival of the sluggish': Laziness an effective survival skill, study suggests

Lincoln appears to have been born before the start of the Industrial Revolution, which triggered a massive burning of fossil fuels.

The quahog clam, which was nicknamed “Aber-clam Lincoln,” is believed to be 214 years old. The clam was found at Alligator Point by Blaine Parker during President’s Day weekend.

The quahog clam, which was nicknamed “Aber-clam Lincoln,” is believed to be 214 years old. The clam was found at Alligator Point by Blaine Parker during President’s Day weekend.
Researchers have used centuries-old clam shells to identify changes in the North Atlantic climate system. Analysis of oxygen and carbon isotopes revealed a dramatic shift in the interaction between the ocean and the atmosphere, when a regional cooling period ended about 1850.

Lincoln may be the fourth-oldest clam on record.

A look at the oldest known clams
  • 507-year-old Ming the Mollusk was found off the coast of Iceland in 2006.
  • A 374-year-old mollusk was collected off Iceland in 1968.
  • A 220-year-old quahog was pulled from American waters in 1982.
A more accurate age of a clam can be determined with an autopsy-like exam. Ming's estimated age was increased 104 years when scientists studied his insides.

So it’s quite possible Aber-clam Lincoln is older than what the Gulf Specimen Marine Lab estimates.

And unlike the others, Lincoln is still living. Ming and the others are not aging anymore.

Lincoln will be hitting the waves back in the surf along the Gulf Coast as of Feb. 24.

“We just figured he won’t live very well in captivity," Parker said. "And I think he’s earned the right to stay out there.”

Blaine Parker releases a quahog clam believed to be 214 years old into the Gulf of Mexico. Parker found the clam he calls "Aber-Clam Lincoln" at Alligator Point.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Fried Patagonian toothfish (AKA tilapia) parm sandwich. Roast cauliflower.

20230307_174834.jpg

Marinara, parm, provolone, roast garlic butter, parsley.

Very tasty!